What's new

Pirates: Dead Men Tell No Tales 4K Glitch (1 Viewer)

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
When I put in the new 4K of this movie, the menu was in French. It took my son and I 15 minutes to get it to play in English, but we never got an English menu. I sent it back to Amazon and bought a new copy today at Best Buy. Same problem, although I knew how to get it to play in English. Anyone else have this problem? Mine is a new Oppo player and it is set for English. Does the player have a memory and thus would give me this problem on any copies of this movie? I put in the 4K of Hacksaw Ridge and it was in English. I have almost 1900 movies and this is the first time I had this problem. Thanks

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
When I put in the new 4K of this movie, the menu was in French. It took my son and I 15 minutes to get it to play in English, but we never got an English menu. I sent it back to Amazon and bought a new copy today at Best Buy. Same problem, although I knew how to get it to play in English. Anyone else have this problem? Mine is a new Oppo player and it is set for English. Does the player have a memory and thus would give me this problem on any copies of this movie? I put in the 4K of Hacksaw Ridge and it was in English. I have almost 1900 movies and this is the first time I had this problem. Thanks

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
I just put in the disc a second time and now it is in English! ??????????????

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member

OPPO does have a memory so if the persistent memory wasn't cleared it would default to the last memory. Have you played a French Disc recently (not even Pirates), but it sounds like the first disc was pulling up an alternative menu as well. The OPPO memory is nice if it's region free b.c if you're playing a Region B locked disc, then changed to Region A without clearing the memory (or hitting stop at the right time after ejecting the Region B disc), if you put the Region B disc back it it will play without switching the unit back to Region B

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
I haven't tried to play any other regions on this player, I don't think it is region free. When I put in the first Pirate disc it seemed like everything was frozen and I may have pressed ok. Now the 2nd copy is loading in English. How do you clear the memory of the Oppo player?
Thanks much!

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I haven't tried to play any other regions on this player, I don't think it is region free. When I put in the first Pirate disc it seemed like everything was frozen and I may have pressed ok. Now the 2nd copy is loading in English. How do you clear the memory of the Oppo player?
Thanks much!

I think you can clear a specific disc by hitting stop while it's playing instead of eject.

In the settings menu there should be a Persistent Storage (or similar), select and there should be Erase. My base setting (BDP 93) is under Device Setup so I assume it's similar upstream

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I don’t have a 4K display, so what I am going to suggest may not apply.

On my Sony 800, menu selections are almost imperceptible. You need to look very close to see that you are navigating the menus. There is almost no change in the brightness of the text as you make selections.

I was convinced that I was locking up once I entered the menus, but looking very closely, I could see that I was actually able to navigate and make selections.

The BR in comparison was fine.

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
I think you can clear a specific disc by hitting stop while it's playing instead of eject.

In the settings menu there should be a Persistent Storage (or similar), select and there should be Erase. My base setting (BDP 93) is under Device Setup so I assume it's similar upstream

Thanks, I will check that out.

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
I don’t have a 4K display, so what I am going to suggest may not apply.

On my Sony 800, menu selections are almost imperceptible. You need to look very close to see that you are navigating the menus. There is almost no change in the brightness of the text as you make selections.

I was convinced that I was locking up once I entered the menus, but looking very closely, I could see that I was actually able to navigate and make selections.

The BR in comparison was fine.
The menu on this was very much like this, but it still started in French. My son was able to see the subtle changes in the highlighting...very hard to see...but a lot of the times it really wasn't moving. Anyway, it's back to English so hopefully it will always play that way!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Isn't the first thing on a Disney disc a question frame asking which language you want to use? English is usually the first language in the list but if somehow another language is first on your list, that may be why it defaulted to French.

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
Isn't the first thing on a Disney disc a question frame asking which language you want to use? English is usually the first language in the list but if somehow another language is first on your list, that may be why it defaulted to French.
I think the menu was frozen and it wouldn't move up or down and I might have used the okay button. Really not sure.

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
I think the menu was frozen and it wouldn't move up or down and I might have used the okay button. Really not sure.
I was surprised that my new copy initially went to French.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tok
Recent bookmarks