What's new
World Wide Stereo

please help me choose speakers (1 Viewer)

dima

Auditioning
Real Name
dima
Hello. I know next to nothing about speakers, but I love my music. I was hoping that I could get some suggestions on which speakers I should buy. I'm finally ready to replace my Infinity SM82's from 1992. Thanks to all for any help you can provide!

My receiver is an old-school brushed-steel-and-wood-grain Technics from the early 80s. It has lots of power, still sounds great, and supports up to four speakers. One day I may upgrade to a new receiver, but maybe not soon.

As I will be occasionally be moving the speakers to the back of the house to listen to in the backyard, I would prefer everything under one hood, but I am willing to reconsider if that sacrifices too much quality.

I went into Best Buy and was recommended Definitive Technology 3-way floorstanding speakers w/built-in subwoofer (model BP7006BLA). Total cost for two is $1,299.96. The salesman also recommended the dual 5-1/4" 2-way center-channel speaker (model CLR2002BLA; $529.98) in addition. I tried to research the quality of these components, but couldn't find much online, so I am completely ignorant as to whether they are good or how they compare to other brands.

Budget: around $1000 (can be a bit flexible if it's really worth it).
Use: mainly for music, but also for HT.
Predominant music styles: indie rock, hip hop, electronic. I love deep gut-reverberating bass, but also want a bright, crisp sound on the high frequencies.
Size: Smaller is better, but I don't want to completely sacrifice size for sound. I would prefer those small Bose-style wall-mounted speakers, but not if they're overpriced and/or underperform.

If there is a more appropriate forum on which to post this, please let me know.

Thanks again for any help!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hi. Speaker recommendations are tough since not everyone likes the same sound. Best thing to do is go listen to as many brands as you can and decide for yourself.

Forget the Bose, they are overpriced and under perform. You will find other small speakers that are better, but you never get "deep gut-reverberating bass' from a small speaker. To get that, you will need a subwoofer.

I'm not sure why the center was recommended. It seems that your receiver is stereo and would not be useful.

Now, if you want my suggestion (and again, it is only my opinion, you have to decide what you like), check out these bookshelves: Bookshelf Speakers - M22 v2 - Axiom Audio

For better bass checkout these towers: Floorstanding Speakers : Millennia M60 v2 - Axiom Audio

And, if your receiver can handle them (you didn't give any specs), these will really hit low (still not "gut-reverberating", but low) - Floorstanding Speakers : Millennia M80 v2 - Axiom Audio. The M80's are power hungry monsters so ask before you buy if your receiver will handle them.

dima

Auditioning
Real Name
dima
Hello. I'm in the initial stages of researching speakers, mainly for music (predominantly indie rock, hip hop, electronic), but also for HT. The only place I've gone so far is the Magnolia department of Best Buy (lame, I know, but it was on the way). I was hoping I could get some recommendations for the best speaker stores in Portland, OR. I'd prefer something in town, but I'm willing to travel to the 'burbs if it's really worth it. Thanks very much for any help!

polaski2282

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard
I have to agree with David in that you need to listen to the speakers.

I went to Best Buy yesterday and listened to all their speakers. After listening I bought the Definitive Technology BP7006BLA because to my ear they sounded great and the price fit my budget. Plus I like the 'tower' look of the speakers and have room for them in the house. I can't tell you how they sound in my house because I bought a whole home theatre system and it won't be delivered for a few weeks.

For a review of the BP7006BLA speakers try this link: Best Buy Definitive Technology 3-Way Floorstanding Speaker with Built-in Subwoofer (Each) Customer Ratings & Reviews - Top & Best Rated Products
There are 12 reviews for that speaker.

My son is a sound engineer and he thinks Bose is over rated and over priced. The reason Bose is so "popular" is because Bose spends a lot of money in advertising and almost everyone recognizes the name Bose. Everywhere you look (magazines and TV), you'll see an advertisement about a Bose product.

Now Bose makes a good speaker, but to say they make the best is a stretch in my opinion. Here's an example - CNET did a review of the 'Best home theatre speakers.' (Best home theater speakers - CNET Reviews ) Funny that Bose isn't listed but Definitive Technology is. I could come up with other examples, but I think you get the picture.

And I'm sure Mercedes didn't put Bose in their cars because Bose is the best. I'll bet it was strictly a business decision and Bose gave Mercedes the best price/unit.

Here's what to look for in speakers:
  • How do the speakers sound to you?
  • Do you like the look of the speaker?
  • Will it fit in your house?
  • Does the price fit your budget?
  • Can your receiver support the speakers?
  • How do the speakers sound to you?

dima

Auditioning
Real Name
dima
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions to my previous post. I have updated my post to include my receiver specs. I appreciate your advice.

Hello. I know next to nothing about speakers, but I love my music. I was hoping that I could get some suggestions on which speakers I should buy. I'm finally ready to replace my Infinity SM82's from 1992. Thanks to all for any help you can provide!

My receiver is an old-school brushed-steel-and-wood-grain Technics from the early 80s. It has lots of power, still sounds great, and supports up to four speakers. One day I may upgrade to a new receiver, but maybe not soon.

Update, receiver specs: Technics SA-400 (circa 1978), AC 60hz, 120v, 280va, 225w, 2-channel, 45w/channel. Full specs here.

As I will be occasionally be moving the speakers to the back of the house to listen to in the backyard, I would prefer everything under one hood, but I am willing to reconsider if that sacrifices too much quality.

I went into Best Buy and was recommended Definitive Technology 3-way floorstanding speakers w/built-in subwoofer (model BP7006BLA). Total cost for two is $1,299.96. The salesman also recommended the dual 5-1/4" 2-way center-channel speaker (model CLR2002BLA; $529.98) in addition. I tried to research the quality of these components, but couldn't find much online, so I am completely ignorant as to whether they are good or how they compare to other brands.

Budget: around $1000 (can be a bit flexible if it's really worth it).
Use: mainly for music, but also for HT.
Predominant music styles: indie rock, hip hop, electronic. I love deep gut-reverberating bass, but also want a bright, crisp sound on the high frequencies.
Size: Smaller is better, but I don't want to completely sacrifice size for sound. I would prefer those small Bose-style wall-mounted speakers, but not if they're overpriced and/or underperform.

If there is a more appropriate forum on which to post this, please let me know.

Thanks again for any help!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Dima,
I have merged your three threads on speakers into one. Please continue your speaker discussion here, and do not start new threads on the same topic. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks