What's new
World Wide Stereo

Problem with Sony XBR55A9G (1 Viewer)

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Back in November I bought a XBR55A9G from Best Buy. It has been a remarkable set and the image and sound quality are great.

However tonight I noticed a vertical line which I assume may be some failing pixels. It is mostly noticeable when the screen has a dark image. At first I though maybe the input was the problem, but cable, the UHD player, Roku stick, and DVD player all show the same line in the same place.

I am running the image retention process with the hopes that it will help. I do have Geek Squad coverage but obviously as things are at the moment, this is not an option. It is a minor thing.

But does anyone have any thoughts, suggestions, etc? Thanks.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I have the X950G and a few months ago I had a issue where there was no picture at all so I called Sony support and they were able to access my tv and after 10 minutes they told me to do a factory reset and then told me to unplug it for a few minutes and then plug it in and turn it on. Problem went away so maybe try calling Sony support? Good luck and I hope you get it fixed.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Running the clear panel noise if a good idea as is a factory reset and also the power recycle after the full pixel refresh program completes and also after you do the factory reset. The best a/c recycle/reboot requires the TV to be unplugged for a full 15 minutes or longer.

If non of this fixes the problem you will need to start a warranty claim.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Running the clear panel noise if a good idea as is a factory reset and also the power recycle after the full pixel refresh program completes and also after you do the factory reset. The best a/c recycle/reboot requires the TV to be unplugged for a full 15 minutes or longer.

If non of this fixes the problem you will need to start a warranty claim.

Thanks for your response. Not sure what a clear panel noise or a/c recycle/reboot is... is this just a matter of unplugging the tv for 15 minutes or more? I think I know where the factory reset is for this.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
The pixel refresh did not work. I will try your other suggestions and would welcome any other ideas. At the moment both the Sony site and Best Buy indicate that their teams which would provide phone support are not currently available. This is not hard to understand given the way things are at the moment.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I also tried doing a factory reset and then unplugged the tv for over an hour. Unfortunately this did not fix the problem.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Sorry none of the best practices fixed the problem. Time to start the warranty claim process. Sony and Best Buy are very good companies to deal with and you should get excellent support to resolve this.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Thanks. But unfortunately both of their websites stress that due to the current conditions, they are not taking calls and Geek Squad, for which I have two year coverage, is not available. But I guess I can start the warranty process. It obviously will take some time. It is not an awful problem in the larger scale of everything. I do love my OLED set but I knew when I bought it that it was possible it could have some issues. We shall see what happens. Thanks for your help.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Yesterday I sent an e-mail via the Sony Site about the problem I was having, detailing everything I had tried. This morning when I turned on the tv, the vertical line was gone. Later this morning I received a generic message offering the same steps I had documented to try. Not sure if the set fixed itself or what but glad the line is gone. Or were they able to do something to the set virtually? It seems an odd coincidence that the problem vanished right after I had contacted Sony.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Back again----about a week ago I noticed another vertical line in about the same place as the one noted last year. It is fairly subtle---you can really only see it if the image on the screen is bright white---like a snowstorm or the arctic. Has anyone else seen this? It is not noticeable most of the time and as mentioned before this remains a tv with stunning image quality. I did do a panel refresh and have done the re-boot thing a couple of times. Last time this seemed to go away on its own.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks