What's new
World Wide Stereo

Problem with Velodyne HGS-15 powered sub (1 Viewer)

Pacattack

Auditioning
Real Name
Charles
In the beginning, it was making a loud buzzing, or fluttering sound that could be affected by tapping on the cone which lead us to believe it was the accelerometer. Since then, we have removed it. How can I replace this part?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
A fluttering sound likely means the driver is blown. You will need to contact Velodyne to see if they will sell you a new driver assembly. It should be fairly easy to replace, you just remove screws to pull out the old one.

Pacattack

Auditioning
Real Name
Charles
A fluttering sound likely means the driver is blown. You will need to contact Velodyne to see if they will sell you a new driver assembly. It should be fairly easy to replace, you just remove screws to pull out the old one.
Hi Dave. The driver tests fine. After reading abut these, you'll notice the HGS series having alot of problems with the accellerometerr. When it fails, it cannot limit the distance of travel forward or back causing it to stutter.

Pacattack

Auditioning
Real Name
Charles
That's the problem. You'll read alot about this too, they no longer support, or carry the accelerometer and they won't give anyone schematics either.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
The only suggestion I can offer in that case is to pull out the accelerometer and try to see who the OEM is. They might be able to get a similar device for you. Beyond that, you might be stuck.

Pacattack

Auditioning
Real Name
Charles
The only suggestion I can offer in that case is to pull out the accelerometer and try to see who the OEM is. They might be able to get a similar device for you. Beyond that, you might be stuck.
Already pulled. Nothing but epoxy or some extremely hard resin. No identification. There's a guy in jersey that bypasses that but I'm looking at around $300.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Sorry to hear that Charles - don't think we can suggest anything else at this point. This is one of the reasons I avoid Velodyne products, they just aren't easy to repair as they age, while an old SVS, Seaton or PowerSound sub will always be repairable.

Pacattack

Auditioning
Real Name
Charles
I'll probably end up sending it off to the guy in jersey and let him work on it. Only reason I got it was because it came with the home theater I bought.

theJman

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Jim
Repairing an HGS-15 is likely not the best choice as that unit is probably 10+ years old. The life expectancy of a high quality subwoofer is just about that - a decade - so it may be better to simply cut your loses and replace it with something more current.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks