What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Press Release WHV Press Release: Purple Rain (1984) 40th Anniversary Edition (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
58830f30-441c-3546-0f5e-0ecf1926b023.png
PURPLE RAIN
COMES TO 4K ULTRA HD BLU-RAYTM AND DIGITAL

THE 1984 ROCK MUSICAL DRAMA STARRING PRINCE IN HIS ELECTRIC ACTING DEBUT WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 4K RESOLUTION WITH HIGH DYNAMIC RANGE (HDR)

Purchase the film on 4K Ultra HD Disc and Digital on June 25
Burbank, Calif., May 14, 2024 – Celebrating the 40th anniversary of its theatrical release, Purple Rain, the iconic 1984 film starring Prince in his film acting debut, will be available for purchase on 4K Ultra HD Disc and Digital for the first time on June 25.

Purple Rain will be available to purchase on June 25 on 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc from online and in-store at major retailers and available for purchase Digitally from Amazon Prime Video, AppleTV, Google Play, Fandango at Home and more.

Purple Rain stars music icon Prince in his first film role as The Kid, alongside Apollonia Kotero, Morris Day, Olga Karlatos and Clarence Williams III.

The film was directed by Albert Magnoli from a screenplay by Magnoli and William Blinn and was produced by Robert Cavallo, Joseph Ruffalo and Steven Fargnoli. The original songs were composed and produced by Prince.

Purple Rain won the Academy Award® for Best Original Song Score (Prince), the Grammy Award® for Best Album of Original Score Written for a Motion Picture or Television Special (Prince and the Revolution), and the NAACP Image Award® for Outstanding Actor in a Motion Picture (Prince).

In 2019, Purple Rain was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically or aesthetically significant."

Purple Rain will be available on 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc for $33.99 ERP and includes an Ultra HD Blu-ray disc with the theatrical version of the feature film in 4K with HDR and a Digital download of the film. Fans can also own Purple Rain in 4K Ultra HD via purchase from select digital retailers beginning on June 25.

For the 40th Anniversary of Purple Rain, the film has been completely restored digitally from an 8K scan of the 35mm Original Camera Negative (OCN). The picture was also conformed to the original theatrical release aspect ratio of 1.85:1 to provide the most authentic theatrical presentation framing ever to be released to the home. The digitally restored picture was color graded in High Dynamic Range (HDR). The film’s audio was also restored from the original Dolby Stereo (LCRS) archived 35mm magnetic film source elements containing the separate dialogue, music, and effects (DME) tracks. These restored elements along with the 20th anniversary’s 5.1 multi-channel print master were used to complete a newly remastered 5.1 presentation for the film.

About the Film
Rock star Prince makes a spectacular feature film debut in this highly autobiographical blockbuster that won both an Oscar® and a Grammy®. Headstrong, vulnerable young musician The Kid (Prince) struggles with his own inner demons and with his alcoholic father who beats his mother. But the madness infects his music, fueling a sound that transforms the struggling young rocker into a star.

The Purple Rain 4K UHD Disc includes the following previously released special features:
  • Commentary by director Albert Magnoli, producer Robert Cavallo and cinematographer Donald E. Thorin
  • First Avenue: The Road to Pop Royalty - featurette
  • Let’s Go Crazy – music video
  • Take Me with U – music video
  • When Doves Cry – Music Video
  • I Would Die 4 U/Baby I’m a Star – music video
  • Purple Rain – music video
  • Jungle Love – music video
  • The Bird – music video
  • Sex Shooter – music video

BASICS
PRODUCT ERP

Purple Rain 4K Ultra HD $33.99

Purple Rain
Ultra HD Blu-ray Languages: English, Spanish
Ultra HD Blu-ray Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Run Time: 111 minutes
Rating: R
Street Date: June 25, 2024
Digital Street Date: June 25, 2024

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

https://www.amazon.com/Purple-Rain-...11-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Last edited:

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
THIS! Looks like they put a lot of work into the restoration, too. Can't wait to see it.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
8K scan???
Has any other film been scanned in that resolution?
I would love to see how this looks, but I'm not sure I like the film so much to buy it.
I have watched it once and don't remember much...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
8K scan???

Sure. It’s usually reserved for large format titles like 70mm, Technirama or VistaVision. Standard 35mm negatives don’t really have 8K’s worth of visual information on them but it’s not going to hurt anything to go overkill on the scanning.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It’s more data to maintain and store but if they’re scanning under the premise of “this is potentially the last time anyone will ever handle this film element ever again” I get it.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Did they drop the “making of” from the DVD set?
Given that this doesn't include a companion BD, and the 4K disc should be optimised for best encoding of the feature, there may not be enough space. The music videos are likely to all be SD, especially I Would Die 4 U and Baby I'm a Star, as they were originated on videotape.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
8K scan???
I would love to see how this looks, but I'm not sure I like the film so much to buy it.
I have watched it once and don't remember much...

Sure. It’s usually reserved for large format titles like 70mm, Technirama or VistaVision. Standard 35mm negatives don’t really have 8K’s worth of visual information on them but it’s not going to hurt anything to go overkill on the scanning.

MPI seems to be moving toward 8K scans. They also reportedly scanned and remastered Se7en in 8K.
Even if an OCN does not contain 8K of information, there is benefit to scanning at this higher resolution in terms of being able to capture the best possible image and then downrez to the desired format.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Given that this doesn't include a companion BD, and the 4K disc should be optimised for best encoding of the feature, there may not be enough space. The music videos are likely to all be SD, especially I Would Die 4 U and Baby I'm a Star, as they were originated on videotape.
Guess I’ll need to keep my DVD set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertTheBob
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale