What's new
World Wide Stereo

Questions regarding Onkyo TX-SR605 (1 Viewer)

Just Dan

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan Prince
Hi folks, my name is Dan. I am new to this whole forum thing, and I need some help from one of you experts. Here's my problem. I upgraded from my old Yamaha Dolby Digital-DTS 5.1 receiver to the Onkyo TX-SR605, mainly because I wanted the 7.1 surround capabilities. I also had to upgrade my old Yamaha sub to a Boston Acoustics HPS 10SE, because the Onkyo wouldn't detect my old sub in the speaker set up mode. Anyway, after doing the whole audyssey crap, I tried watching a blu-ray disc via my PS3, on a 65" Mitsubishi 1080P DLP T.V., and my sub sounded like garbage. I've read some other threads with somewhat similar issues, so please don't yell at me for not searching. I tried adjusting crossovers, freq., and hz.(none of which I understand) and the sub still sounds like it's barely on. I have to crank up my receiver damn near the whole way to get even a tiny thump. I know something isn't right, but I'm clueless. In addition, I don't even know how to watch a movie or television show in Dolby Digital or DTS!! On my listening mode, it says " All Ch St", and I am less than pleased with surround effects. I can cycle through all my listening modes, but none say Dolby Digital or DTS. I know the basic connections are correct, HDMI cables, speaker wires, etc.
But I had no idea I was going to have to know how to set this thing up and calibrate crap, and frequencies and hertz?

Anyway, sorry it's so long, but I'll sum up what I want here:

1. I want my sub to pound!!! I paid $300 for it, and I want to be able to turn the volume knob on the back of it up or down, depending on the need for bass. Just like I used to be able to do with my old Yamaha sub. (I hooked my new sub up to my old Yamaha receiver, and it pounded pretty good, so I know it works)

2. Please explain why I can't watch tv or blu-ray movies in Dolby Digital or DTS. I looked through all the listening modes, and nothing pops up to let you know it's decoding in digital or dts. What am I doing wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know the basics of home theater,but please don't be afraid to talk to me like I'm an idiot. Are my issues fixable, or should I just go back to my Yamaha 5.1 receiver and sell this Onkyo piece of crap?

Thanks for your time,
Dan

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I'll try to help. I've not personally worked with Onkyos, but they should be similar to others, that I have worked with.

First, make sure the sub in plugged into the right input. It's next to the Zone 2 speaker connections, according to a pic at Onkyo site. You usually have to make sure the sub is enabled or turned on, in the receiver's setup menus. And set the crossover for the sub, usually to 80 Hz. Some people have been known to plug the sub into the sub input of the 5.1 Multi-Channel inputs, and that is wrong. That's why I say to double check.

Make sure too, that the distances (delay) and levels for speakers are set. You might want to set the sub level a little higher. Also make sure the receiver isn't in a "Midnight Mode", or whatever Onkyo calls it.

I know with regular dvd players, you have to set the audio output to "Bitstream", not PCM, to get DD and DTS. Not sure about your blu ray player. Depends on how it sends the signal (bitstream, PCM, LPCM,etc.). You'll have to check the manuals for that.

Also, you normally have to set the receiver to "Auto", to automatically detect a DD signal, whether it be tv or dvd. DTS you have to manually choose in the movie's menus. Again, not sure about blu ray. I don't have blu ray yet. So...........

I'm pretty sure the receiver isn't set to "Auto" for this one. Also check in the cable box's setup menus, and make sure the audio output is set to "Dolby Digital". There may be more than one place in there to set to digital. You will only get DTS from certain dvds, not from tv. Also, the only channels that broadcast in Dolby Digital 5.1 surround are HD channels, some premium movie channels (HBO, Starz, etc.), and some PPV channels. All the rest, you can listen to in Pro Logic, which isn't bad.

It's real easy to miss a setting in the receiver's and blu ray's setup menus. Read the manuals carefully. Don't get in a hurry. Find the section for the problem you're having and go through the setup, step by step. Even if you think it's right already. Doesn't hurt to double check.
Good luck!

Just out of curiosity, where are you?
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
In addition to what Ed said, I'd go into the receivers menu and turn off Audessey for now. You can re-try it again later, after you've fixed these problems. Audessey has been known to set subwoofer volumes on the low side.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Did you hear the chirps from the sub when you ran Audyssey? If not, you probably have it plugged into the wrong place. If you did....

Most likely the Onkyo set your mains to Full Range when you ran Audyssey. Go into your speaker menu and set the crossover for the left and right speakers to 80hz.

When you ran Audyssey, did you put the mic on a tripod? Was it near the back wall?

Not sure what you are expecting from the sub. It should sound like an extension of your main speakers, not like a 'boom boom boom' from some ricer year hear 3 blocks away. Audyssey will try to accomplish this.

Dolby and DTS need some sort of digital connection (HDMI, Optical, Coax). Do you have it hooked up this way? If so, press the display button on your Onkyo remote. This will cycle thru several screens, one of which will show you what the AVR is receiving.

Just Dan

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan Prince
First, thanks for all the informative suggestions. I will definitely try some of these, as soon as can get to it uninterupted ( my two boys are 3 and 1!!). I'm not sure how to quote individual sentences, so I'll respond to you guys like this:

Ed- I'l double check my sub input, and check all my settings again. Also, I live in SW Pennsylvania, near Johnstown, Pa.

Gene- I'll try it without audyssey and see if it sounds any better.

David-I did hear chirps after I abandoned my yamaha sub, and tried it with the new boston acoustics sub. When I ran audyssey, my mic wasn't on a tripod, I just put it on some stacked pillows about where my ear level would be. Also, the mic was centered in the room, on my lounge chair. Should I tried it with the mic towards the back of the room more? As far as what I expect from my sub? Ok, with my old 5.1 set up, I watched a ton of tv while my wife and kids are sleeping. I liked being able to turn the surround sound on low levels, and turn the volume of the old sub up a little more. I never needed to turn the volume up past half way for it to sound good and rumble a little bit.( I liked your boom, boom, boom - ricer reference by the way! I can't stand that either!) With my new sub, the volume is cranked the whole way up, and it's not really noticeable until you turn the main volume nearly all the way up. I would like to set it up somehow so that I can leave the subs volume control at a much lower level, and turn it up as needed. So if I have a family movie night, I can turn sub volume down and crank main volume. Or if I get home from 3-11 shift, and want to watch to a movie, but have to remain somewhat quiet, I can keep main volume lower, but turn sub volume up a little to still get effect. Is that possible? Can I set it up like that? Or is the sub volume levels going to have to be adjusted through the receiver all the time?

Again, thanks for everybody's help. It's nice of you guys to take the time to help a frustrated stranger, I appreciate it. I was getting close to just going back to my old yamaha receiver, and giving up on my Onkyo. I'll try your suggestions first and see if I can get it resolved.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Putting the mic on pillows can cause really, really bad results. The mic should be on a tripod. The first position should be your primary listen seat. Also, the mic needs to be a couple feet from a back wall. The 2nd and 3rd position should be within a few feet of the first one.

Most likely your main issue is the crossover. Change the mains to 80hz and you should hear more from your sub. Turn Audyssey off until you get a tripod.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
If the receiver's not giving you a DD ot DTS option, I'd start with the "bitstream" and "auto" portion of Ed's suggestions. After you get the right signal you can do the finer configuration.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Right, but I'm guessing it is and the OP is not seeing it. The Onkyo screen shows the DSP, not what it is receiving. You have to scroll through the screens to see it.

Another way to tell is get up real close and see if the DTS or DD light is on. Impossible to see from a distance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertTheBob
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale