What's new

RAINTREE COUNTY on Blu? (3 Viewers)

filmfreak

Agent
Real Name
Brian
If it ever gets released most likely Raintree County would be released on Blu-Ray by Warner Archive Collection since Warner Bros owns it. They release 5 new films every month and seem to have some sort of renewed interest in Elizabeth Taylor because they have recently released National Velvet, Reflections in a Golden Eye, Father of the Bride, Ivanhoe, Father's Little Dividend and The Last time I Saw Paris on Blu-Ray. Giant also recently came out on 4k UHD. If there ever was a time to release it, now is the time. Send them a message on their Instagram and Facebook to let them know!

Last edited:

SwatDB

Second Unit
Real Name
David Brynskov
If it ever gets released most likely Raintree County would be released on Blu-Ray by Warner Archive Collection since Warner Bros owns it.

Good Luck with this restoration and remastering:

General Release Version:

Picture Elements:

65mm OCN or Interpositive (2.76:1 Ratio)

Audio Element:

70mm 6-Track Mix

Roadshow Version:

Picture Elements:

65mm OCN or Interpositive (2.76:1 Ratio) [General Release Version master]
35mm Roadshow Trims [Classification on Color fade needed, red or magenta].

Audio Elements:

70mm 6-Track Mix [From the General Release Version]
35mm Roadshow Sound mix from faded prints (unless a handful of roadshow 6-Track reels are discovered).

Bonus Features (candidates).

Operation Raintree featurette
Theatrical Trailer

It may be an ideal release for WAC, but the project is a huge cost at the moment.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
If I had to guess, I think Raintree County would be far down their Elizabeth Taylor list. I could see BUtterfield 8, The Sandpiper, or The V.I.P.s coming before it. But I'm only guessing.

It may be an ideal release for WAC, but the project is a huge cost at the moment.

I have stated this previously, but happily repeat it here again.

I don't personally know the status of RAINTREE for Blu-ray release.

I will tell you that I have had more than one direct conversation with George Feltenstein about the title, on behalf of the membership.

Not speaking for George, but he is more than aware of the demand for the film. There is no doubt that this title has always been in his mindset and if he could easily get it out, he would.

So, for that reason, I would argue that RAINTREE would be at the top of their Elizabeth Taylor list knowing the demand.

However, sadly, as David pointed out, it's a huge costly project based on the elements. This I was personally told. And there was much regret expressed about this, but from a business standpoint, the studio has to consider the costs of restoration vs. how many copies they think they can sell.

This is not to say we will never see a release. The only hope I can provide is that your requests have been heard and because of that, RAINTREE will always be a title that will be brought up over and over again, within the company, for release consideration.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I have stated this previously, but happily repeat it here again.

I don't personally know the status of RAINTREE for Blu-ray release.

I will tell you that I have had more than one direct conversation with George Feltenstein about the title, on behalf of the membership.

Not speaking for George, but he is more than aware of the demand for the film. There is no doubt that this title has always been in his mindset and if he could easily get it out, he would.

So, for that reason, I would argue that RAINTREE would be at the top of their Elizabeth Taylor list knowing the demand.

However, sadly, as David pointed out, it's a huge costly project based on the elements. This I was personally told. And there was much regret expressed about this, but from a business standpoint, the studio has to consider the costs of restoration vs. how many copies they think they can sell.

This is not to say we will never see a release. The only hope I can provide is that your requests have been heard and because of that, RAINTREE will always be a title that will be brought up over and over again, within the company, for release consideration.

Thanks for the insight and your help! And just as a reminder: Please make sure to mention Raintree County to George the next time you see him ;)

1700505542261.png

Last edited:

filmfreak

Agent
Real Name
Brian
Good Luck with this restoration and remastering:

General Release Version:

Picture Elements:

65mm OCN or Interpositive (2.76:1 Ratio)

Audio Element:

70mm 6-Track Mix

Roadshow Version:

Picture Elements:

65mm OCN or Interpositive (2.76:1 Ratio) [General Release Version master]
35mm Roadshow Trims [Classification on Color fade needed, red or magenta].

Audio Elements:

70mm 6-Track Mix [From the General Release Version]
35mm Roadshow Sound mix from faded prints (unless a handful of roadshow 6-Track reels are discovered).

Bonus Features (candidates).

Operation Raintree featurette
Theatrical Trailer

I think this is similar to why Gone With The Wind has not yet been released on 4k UHD.

filmfreak

Agent
Real Name
Brian
If I had to guess, I think Raintree County would be far down their Elizabeth Taylor list. I could see BUtterfield 8, The Sandpiper, or The V.I.P.s coming before it. But I'm only guessing.
Considering it has yet to get a DVD or Blu-Ray release yet does give some hope that they would push it to the top, but as mentioned, the cost and time involved are prohibitive factors. The good news is that eventually they will run out of films in the vault to restore and will have no choice but to do it!

Reactions: PMF

filmfreak

Agent
Real Name
Brian

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
They bought a 65mm scanner so it's going to happen some day. [...]

They certainly are in a position to make very good use of it and I am sure that the first thing that they will do is to scan the assets that are most in need and before it becomes even more difficult to work on them.

Plenty of older 65mm productions that warrant attention. I left out the names of the Vitascopes from 1930 as I have no idea which elements still exist but I am sure that Warner will scan those that remain.

Of the 50s to 70s productions the first two are probably the only ones where elements are in urgent need of attention. The others should be in decent shape at least but it would nice to see all of them scanned in 8K and then released on Blu-ray or preferably UHD sooner rather than later:

not even on Blu-ray:
Raintree County (problematic elements)
Around The World in 80 Days (problematic elements)
Ryan's Daughter (will look stunning, very high level of detail)
Cheyenne Autumn (will look stunning, very high level of detail)

mediocre at best Blu-rays, issues with lack of detail, DNR, EE:
Mutiny on the Bounty
Battle of the Bulge

decent Blu-rays, new releases should preferably wait until work on the other 6 has been finished:
Grand Prix
Ice Station Zebra

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
First and foremost, a tip of the hat to Andrew Budgell, who created this thread nearly 13 years, ago. Despite the ongoing absence of Raintree County on either a Blu ray or 4K/UHD disc, the postings and conversations have never waned and always remained strong. This, in and of itself, is an undeniable testament and argument in favor of Raintree County receiving its due. Indeed, the HTF membership remains very interested.

Well, we’ve no doubt been all a-buzz with the recent news of Around the World in 80 Days moving forward on a complete restoration and disc. And even The Alamo, according to a RAH posting, is now in the possession of Amazon. This double-header news, of course, could only bode well for Raintree County. How could it not? But when? Another year? Maybe two. My seasoned senses are saying that a break in the action towards news of Raintree County may easily be heard within this new year of 2024.

Last edited:

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
First and foremost, a tip of the hat to Andrew Budgell, who created this thread nearly 13 years, ago. Despite the still absent presence of Raintree County on either a Blu ray or 4K/UHD disc, the postings and conversations have never waned and always remained strong. This, in and of itself, is an undeniable testament and argument in favor of Raintree County receiving its due. Indeed, the HTF membership remains very interested.

Well, we’ve no doubt been all a-buzz with the recent news of Around the World in 80 Days moving forward on a complete restoration and disc. And even The Alamo, according to a RAH posting, is now in the possession of Amazon. This double-header news, of course, could only bode well for Raintree County. How could it not? But when? Another year? Maybe two. My seasoned senses are saying that a break in the action towards news of Raintree County may easily be heard within this new year of 2024.
where was the news about 80 Days?

SwatDB

Second Unit
Real Name
David Brynskov
The answer is to buy WB.
Pretty expensive for a Major-studio to buy isn't it? It would cost more than handful of films with problematic film elements…

Personally my major-studios of choice who currently have a heart on film preserving/restoring/remastering popular/catalog titles are Warner Bros. and Sony Pictures.

Universal and Paramount are (sort of) split down the middle.

MGM Studios, Inc. (or is it "Amazon MGM Studios" and Disney (20th Century Fox library acquisition-wise, including libraries Hollywood Pictures) don't seem to care about supplying recent masters (fx. films that can be found remastered on digital/streaming) in to 4K UHD/Remastered BD, since the fall of Twilight Time and Nick Redman's passing.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Pretty expensive for a Major-studio to buy isn't it? It would cost more than handful of films with problematic film elements…

Personally my major-studios of choice who currently have a heart on film preserving/restoring/remastering popular/catalog titles are Warner Bros. and Sony Pictures.

Universal and Paramount are (sort of) split down the middle.

MGM Studios, Inc. (or is it "Amazon MGM Studios" and Disney (20th Century Fox library acquisition-wise, including libraries Hollywood Pictures) don't seem to care about supplying recent masters (fx. films that can be found remastered on digital/streaming) in to 4K UHD/Remastered BD, since the fall of Twilight Time and Nick Redman's passing.
Not all that big a deal. It’s all just debt.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
First and foremost, a tip of the hat to Andrew Budgell, who created this thread nearly 13 years, ago. Despite the ongoing absence of Raintree County on either a Blu ray or 4K/UHD disc, the postings and conversations have never waned and always remained strong. This, in and of itself, is an undeniable testament and argument in favor of Raintree County receiving its due. Indeed, the HTF membership remains very interested.

If Warner is really busy with 80 Days I would already be happy if it was:

2022: Grimm
2024: 80 Days
2026: Raintree County

Of course I won't complain either if things move faster but one of these rather problematic titles every two years would already be much more than I had expected in 2021!

1703784270633.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Petr
Recent bookmarks