What's new

Rise of The Planet of the Apes (1 Viewer)

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
I am interested in this one and I can't wait to see it. I am sucker for Ape films, although, TB POTA was not worth remembering, fun treat at the time, but after that time has passed so has my remembrance of the movie!

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Originally Posted by Don Solosan

I can't imagine committing to buying something I haven't seen, even if I find that it's bad. I don't understand that at all. Are you a huge PoTA fan or something, Sam?

I blind buy a lot of Blu's. I look at it this way. I didn't spend $30+ to take the family to the theater to see it so if I buy it for $20 or less and watch it at home, even if only once I saved some coin. Add to that, I can always resell it.

All the Blockbusters are gone from my area, RedBox offerings are minimal and Netflix takes too long for new releases. So I blind buy.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Originally Posted by samneil

I think this new film looks interesting, I'll wait for the reviews and than decide if it's worth seeing at the cinema. But good or bad it'll be in my collection by the end of the year.

What's odd about Sam's post above is that it's the same thing I wrote on the previous page, word for word.

It's a planet of the apes movie, I have all the others in the series in my movie collection. I can't imagine this one being so terrible that I wouldn't want it joining the others. And I liked the trailer.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I actually felt a little insulted at the Tim Burton film, not because he screwed up a classic tale but because he purposefully gave us an ending that he knew damn well made no sense at all simply to fuck with our heads, he all but comes out and says this in the commentary track.

That said this one, to me, looks pretty terrible, is it supposed to be a prequel to the original where we see how they started to evolve in the first place?

It's all too vague for my taste and it just doesn't look that interesting.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I'm just old enough to remember Planet of the Apes when it was new. It was an innovative film at the time, and the ending was like a cold splash of water in the face. That had an impact on everybody when the film was new. Rod Serling's name was on it as a writer, so everybody new it would be good. Serling's influence in those days was felt everywhere. I'm just as fond of the sequels.

I've been burning bridges with the franchises lately. Tim Burton's remake is one of the reasons why. I want to like to Burton, I really do, but he has no story sense, he doesn't recognize a bad decision when he makes it, and I get tired of him turning my favorite stories into fetish movies. He's not interested in telling the story of Alice so much as turning her story into a fetish. He's kinky, and being kinky is what all his movies are really about. He disrespects the material and he disrespects the audience. He fools a lot of people with visual extravagance. I've had it with him. He was the worst possible choice to direct the remake of Planet of the Apes and he's the worst possible choice to direct the new Dark Shadows. What a waste.

There are no writers of the calibre of Rod Serling around right now. If Burton had been the first to direct Serling's script for Planet of the Apes, he would have screwed it up, and there would not have been a series of films.

In view of the fact that Burton is not involved in Rise of the Planet of the Apes, I'll give it a chance. I don't know who these people behind the camera are, but the trailer looked promising.

MonkeyDay

Auditioning
Real Name
Bryan
Hey guys I'm looking for some feedback on this sketch i shot last weekend called "Happy Monkey Day", it was definitely influenced by the original planet of the apes films, but despite the similarity to Rise of the Apes, was written years ago. I shot it now as I didn't want it to be thought of as a parody of ROTA but as a sketch about the influence of Charlton Heston and the original film on my life. Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3wl1sVxFEQ I spent over 300 hours making costumes for this and intend to use them for more sketches. Thank you.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
TravisR said:
James Franco was just nominated for an Oscar. Given his talent, I think he's slumming by being in a movie like this.

I laughed out loud when I saw the trailer and it said something along the lines of "WITH EFFECTS BY WETA WHO DID THE EFFECTS FOR AVATAR". I can't imagine anyone in the world seeing that and saying "Oh man, Weta's doing the effects? I'm so fucking there!"
Really? You don't think Weta has a reputation for excellence with special effects in the general public's mind? Gee, they've done the Rings movies, Avatar, King Kong (Kong himself was fantastic and so was much of the rest of the effects). You mention those films in your blurb and you'll get the attention of many movie goers.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Johnny Angell said:
Really? You don't think Weta has a reputation for excellence with special effects in the general public's mind?
While the general public knows that the effects in LOTR or Avatar, etc. were great, they have no clue and don't care that Weta it was that worked on those movies. It's the shots in the trailer that sell the effects, not the name of the company that did them.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
TravisR said:
While the general public knows that the effects in LOTR or Avatar, etc. were great, they have no clue and don't care that Weta it was that worked on those movies. It's the shots in the trailer that sell the effects, not the name of the company that did them.
Even if your basic premise that the public doesn't know who did Avatar, that's taken care of when the trailer makes it clear that this movie is done by the same people who did Avatar. I don't know your opinion of Avatar, but seeing as how it did reasonably well at the box office, I think the public will pay attention to the claim.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
TravisR said:
^ I'm sure it couldn't hurt to piggyback on Avatar a little bit but like I said, I think the effects shots are what sells the effects and not the name of the company that made them.
Yes, you gotta get it own the screen. The point I'm making is that reputation helps sell the move, helps put the butt in the seat. If two guys are standing outside the theater trying to pick a movie to see and one says to the other "The special effects on this movie were done by Weta. They're the same guys who did The Lord of the Rings movies, KIng Kong, and Avatar." I think that's going to make an impressions.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
New Line Cinema did exactly this same campaign for The Mask in 1994 with ILM. I remember it well. Coincidentally, Jurassic Park was released in 1993. This isn't the first time (or the first effects company) this has been done. Who cares? They tried to sell Zookeeper with "From the PRODUCERS of Paul Blart: Mall Cop". In commercials. Without irony.

Coressel

Supporting Actor
Lots of positive reviews, and a high score on the Tomatometer:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/rise_of_the_planet_of_the_apes/

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
That's surprising. It looks good, to me, but my film tastes don't usually agree with, oh, about 95% of the movie going audience.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Ron-P said:
That's surprising. It looks good, to me, but my film tastes don't usually agree with, oh, about 95% of the movie going audience.
Are ypu going to go see it? I usually wait for the blu to,watch at home but I love the Apes movies so I might go out for this one.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
No Tony, I won't. I'll wait for the Blu.

It's so much easier to see films at home, a lot less hassle and less expensive, all while buying the Blu. I see no redeeming value in going out to the movies anymore unless it's something I absolutely cannot wait for, like Sucker Punch. The next film I will see in the theater will be the new 007 film. Until then, everything else will be via Blu-ray.

Vaughan Odendaal

Second Unit
Ron-P said:
Until then, everything else will be via Blu-ray
So you'll wait for the new Spiderman, Superman, Batman, Avenger and Star Trek films to be released on Blu-ray before going to the cinema ? Hmmm.....I doubt that. :)

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Vaughan Odendaal said:
So you'll wait for the new Spiderman, Superman, Batman, Avenger and Star Trek films to be released on Blu-ray before going to the cinema ? Hmmm.....I doubt that. :)
I agree. I have found myself kicking myself in the rear for not seeing a movie in the theater when I enjoy it for the first time on blu. I know my HT cannot replace a big screen experience. I'm really sorry I missed Rango in the theaters. The last HP, I'm glad I saw it on the big screen. However, I am much more selective on what movies I will go to the theater for. It's been a while since I regretted seeing a movie on the big screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfarrukh
Recent bookmarks