What's new

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Let’s look at Ruby Gillman Teenage Kraken. Ruby (Lana Condor) is a shy, unassuming teenager with a hidden secret: in her family the women turn into giant krakens when they get wet.  Ruby’s been banned from even going near the ocean (which is tough when she lives right next to it), and of course her school plans to have an ocean bound Prom.  Desperate to fit in, Ruby agrees to her chum’s plan for her to sneak out against her parent’s wishes and attend in secret.  Before the Prom even happens tho Ruby mush find a date, and she concocts a wild prom-posal to entice her crush Connor (Jaboukie Young-White) to accompany her. When that plan goes wildly awry and Ruby finds herself in the drink, she becomes a Kraken of legend, igniting her curiosity about her new found powers.  When she returns to land she finds Connor in the care of a new rival: Chelsea (Annie Murphy).  Ruby returns to the sea to find more about her heritage only to find she’s a missing celebrity: Her lineage are royalty...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Beautifully honest review, Sam, but how’s the packaging? 3-D lenticular cover? Hard-bound history of Kraken in the Colonies, striving for freedom? On-camera interviews with Kraken leaders? Nothing?

I knew a girl named Gilman, as a kid. I have a memory of her playing under a lawn sprinkler, and being unaffected. Do they only turn in ocean water?

And in the extras, could they not get an interview with Ariel? Never mind. Apparently she refused. On the picket line.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Lmao thank you sir you gave me a belly laugh this morning. I really don’t like writing negative reviews but both this one and Turning Red both had me stumped: couldn’t either one have put in a better message to their actual target audience???

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Lmao thank you sir you gave me a belly laugh this morning. I really don’t like writing negative reviews but both this one and Turning Red both had me stumped: couldn’t either one have put in a better message to their actual target audience???
Agreed. I truly hate writing negatives. Both films may have been AI conceived.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Count me as one who adored Turning Red. It helped to have a highly strung daughter who adored boy bands. The key is having an in with movies like this; if you don't get it, you likely never will, and that's OK. I never really got Saturday Night Fever, FWIW.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Count me as one who adored Turning Red. It helped to have a highly strung daughter who adored boy bands. The key is having an in with movies like this; if you don't get it, you likely never will, and that's OK. I never really got Saturday Night Fever, FWIW.
Agreed on Turning Red but c'mon, the opening credits alone are enough to make someone love Saturday Night Fever.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
They don't all need to have messages. Sometimes they can just be entertaining without giving the audience life lessons. The film could have been more focused. It was at its best when it was subverting the expectation that mermaids are the "heroes".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks