What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Sally Ann Howes has died at 91 (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I saw her on stage in Sondheim's "A Little Night Music" back in 1990 at the NY City Opera House. A performace was broadcast live on PBS. Here is a youtube video of that broadcast.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
She will always have a special place in my heart. I was a young kid when my aunt and uncle treated me to my first trip to New York in 1958, and I was blessed to see as my very first Broadway show My Fair Lady with Sally Ann as Eliza and Edward Mulhare as Higgins. Was blown away by the entire experience, the audience jumping to its feet on several occasions when numbers stopped the show. Just one thrill after another, and I've never forgotten it. Got to see her years later in What Makes Sammy Run? on Broadway, and she was a lovely Fiona in the ABC TV version of Brigadoon even if they did (as did the movie) truncate the score.

R.I.P., fair lady!

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Other than Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, film buffs might remember her from the horror anthology Dead Of Night.

Yes, indeed. She only made a handful of films, other performances I have enjoyed were in The History of Mr. Polly and The Admirable Crichton. Chitty was one of the first films I watched as a child, my sister and I were completely enthralled by this big colourful extravaganza.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
She was indeed truly scrumptious in Chitty, but I never knew she replaced Julie Andrews in the film.
I believe I recall reading about that somewhere. I also remember being rather shocked to discover how old Sally Anne Howes was when she did CHITTY! CHITTY! BANG! BANG! (1968), as she appeared to be so young in that film!

CHEERS! :)

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
A Great singer ! R.I.P. Sally. :( ....
aaaaachitty.jpg
Chitty is one of my Favorite Musical Comedies. Dick Van Dyke turned 96 ten day's ago ! :)

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I believe I recall reading about that somewhere. I also remember being rather shocked to discover how old Sally Anne Howes was when she did CHITTY! CHITTY! BANG! BANG! (1968), as she appeared to be so young in that film!

CHEERS! :)
She was a beautiful lady, a heart of gold. She deserves much respect for sticking with the theater she could have made a lot more in films but she loved the theater.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Even more than Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, this is what I think of when I think of her.

My parent's had the album which I converted to digital, and I've listened to it millions of times at Christmas over the past several decades

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Even more than Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, this is what I think of when I think of her.

My parent's had the album which I converted to digital, and I've listened to it millions of times at Christmas over the past several decades

Wonderful!

RetroGuy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Edwards
I had the great pleasure of seeing her in “The King & I” with Ricardo Montalban in San Francisco. It was my first time seeing that show on the stage and I was enraptured! (I actually preferred it to a touring production I saw years later with Yul Brynner.) And of course she was delightful and lovely as Truly Scumptious.

Thank you for the wonderful memories! Rest In Peace, dear lady.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adityalbarrett
Recent bookmarks