What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Satoshi Kon, director of "Paprika", "Millenium Actress", passes away (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
While reading about the proposed Indy V movie, I saw this

http://www.joblo.com/anime-director-satoshi-kon-has-passed-away

His films, including "Perfect Blue", "Tokyo Godfathers" and the two mentioned in the thread title, were some of the more unique and creative films in anime. I was shocked to read of his passing due to pancreatic cancer. This is a big loss to the anime community and to film in general.

R.I.P

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Perfect Blue and Millennium Actress are two of my absolute favorite anime films (although I didn't much care for Paprika). Very sorry to hear this.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If anyone is interested, here is a fairly decent translation of the first part of his final message to his fans, friends, colleagues and family. It was posted to his site after his death. I hope HTF won't mind the link to it. To me, it is impressive considering he was on death's doorstep.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=967647#967647

I also dug out and watched my copies of Millenium Actress and Paprika last night. Both are fine films; although, I do prefer MA over Paprika by a small margin. I haven't seen Perfect Blue in years. It would be nice to see a Blu-ray release of the film. My least favourite film of Kon's was Tokyo Godfathers. The animation was very good, but the story just never really grabbed me. All of his films stood out from the usual anime fare that gets released over here.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
I stumbled across Millennium Actress sort of by accident through NetFlix (isn't that how a lot of films are found there?) which then lead to Tokyo Godfathers and Paprika. Amazing stuff.

And what a terrible way to go.

Leo

Hans M.

Stunt Coordinator
Just saw this in the New York Times. Terrible shock. I'm no hardcore anime fan, but he was the only other director besides Miyazaki that I followed as far as teh genre is concerned. His work meant a lot to me, and I am honored to have seen Paprika on the big screen on 35 mm, even if only 3 other people were in the theater at the time. A true masterpiece of cinema (maybe I am partial to its subject matter of dreams, as I feel film is the greatest medium in capturing the feel of a dream).

If only we could still get more from him, but what he left behind was on a whole other level. I had to write about the loss of this great filmmaker on my blog. Here's my little tribute:
http://indieethos.wordpress.com/2010/08/28/rip-satoshi-kon-anime-director-extraordinaire/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks