What's new

Press Release Scream Factory Press Release: The Island of Dr. Moreau (1996) Collector's Edition (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
429682789_799726705528053_1745769198714998187_n.jpg

On a remote island in the South Pacific, Dr. Moreau uses the key of science to unlock the gates of Hell. Bring home THE ISLAND OF DR. MOREAU on Blu-ray May 21. Val Kilmer (Heat), David Thewlis (the Harry Potter films), Fairuza Balk (The Craft), and Marlon Brando star in this fantastic sci-fi thriller based on the best-selling novel by H.G. Wells. Stan Winston's Creature Workshop (Jurassic Park) brought the frighteningly real special effects to life. Order from ShoutFactory.com and get an EXCLUSIVE 18” X 24” ROLLED POSTER featuring our brand new artwork, available while supplies last: https://bit.ly/49to3Pr

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

https://www.amazon.com/Island-Dr-Mo...693529011&rnid=2693522011&s=movies-tv&sr=1-35

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
There's a great documentary available about Richard Stanley's failed attempt to bring it to the screen. Much more entertaining than the actual film itself.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I'm sorry, but after experiencing "The Island of Lost Souls" (1932) it takes a lot to step up to even try and match it!!!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This is an objectively awful movie, but it does feature one absolutely brilliant element: the main titles. This sequence, credited to Vince Abogado, is a marvelous visual freak show, a hyperkinetic and mesmerizing two-plus minutes that build to a breathless crescendo. It's a remarkable mini-movie that promises a sci-fi masterpiece to come...which never does. I'd actually recommend the purchase of the otherwise execrable movie, except that you can probably watch it free on cable somewhere.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
What, no 4K edition to showcase the horrible CGI effects in gnarly clarity?

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
There's a great documentary available about Richard Stanley's failed attempt to bring it to the screen. Much more entertaining than the actual film itself.

It's kind of funny how the film is more associated with Richard Stanley than John Frankenheimer. I don't know if Stanley managed to direct, it would have been a better film. Apparently he had no control over Kilmer or Brando. Frankenheimer could not control Brando and ended up just letting him do whatever he wanted to do. My feeling is if a guy like Frankenheimer struggled to keep control of the production, Stanley had no shot...unless they fired Kilmer and Brando.

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Yeah obviously nothing about the disastrous production of this movie in the features probably.

Well, as Kevin points out, there is an excellent documentary on Stanley's adventure on this one but really John Frankenheimer made the film. So, in a way, they don't need to have the Stanley story on this disc. It would be more interesting to have the Frankenheimer story on it but we do hear about that in the Lost Soul documentary as well.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I've never watched this movie, but films where absolutely everything went wrong during the production can make for the most interesting bonus features. Will wait to see what Shout has in store: If it includes some warts-and-all bonus features, I may be persuaded to pick up a copy.

EDIT: I didn't realize they'd already announced the specs/features. I'm guessing the 'Making of" is an EPK piece? Unless the Director's Cut is some sort of masterpiece, I'm not seeing anything to inspire a blind-buy.

Special Features and Technical Specs:
  • THEATRICAL AND DIRECTOR'S CUTS OF THE FILM
  • NEW 2K RESTORATION OF THE DIRECTOR'S CUT FROM AN INTERPOSITIVE
  • NEW Interview With Creature Makeup Effects Supervisor Shane Mahan
  • "The Making Of The Island Of Dr. Moreau" Featurette
  • Photo Gallery
  • Trailers
  • Audio: English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 Surround & 2.0 Stereo
  • Optional English subtitles for the main feature

Last edited:

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Unless the Director's Cut is some sort of masterpiece, I'm not seeing anything to inspire a blind-buy.

According to IMDb:

"The director's cut contains 4 extra minutes of footage including an expanded intro in the Java sea, a more gruesome end for 'The Father', and other small enhancements."

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
According to IMDb:

"The director's cut contains 4 extra minutes of footage including an expanded intro in the Java sea, a more gruesome end for 'The Father', and other small enhancements."

Is this the first time they have released the Director's Cut or was that on the previous Blu-ray?

Edit: Actually, if anything, it looks like this may be the first release of the Theatrical cut.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I've never watched this movie, but films where absolutely everything went wrong during the production can make for the most interesting bonus features. Will wait to see what Shout has in store: If it includes some warts-and-all bonus features, I may be persuaded to pick up a copy.

EDIT: I didn't realize they'd already announced the specs/features. I'm guessing the 'Making of" is an EPK piece? Unless the Director's Cut is some sort of masterpiece, I'm not seeing anything to inspire a blind-buy.

Special Features and Technical Specs:
  • THEATRICAL AND DIRECTOR'S CUTS OF THE FILM
  • NEW 2K RESTORATION OF THE DIRECTOR'S CUT FROM AN INTERPOSITIVE
  • NEW Interview With Creature Makeup Effects Supervisor Shane Mahan
  • "The Making Of The Island Of Dr. Moreau" Featurette
  • Photo Gallery
  • Trailers
  • Audio: English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 Surround & 2.0 Stereo
  • Optional English subtitles for the main feature

Well, in truth, this is a film to watch for its flaws. The two primary ones being Marlon Brando and Val Kilmer. You can see by what is on the screen that someone had interesting and weird ideas and they kind of get some of them up there. Brando and Kilmer just go batshit with their characters though, each trying to do over the top stuff. It is tough to outdo Brando though, who apparently would just look for anything to weird up his part, including his insistence of having a midget he met work with him in his scenes...that was entirely Brando, to coming onto the set with just about anything he picked up on his head to see what the director would say when he did that. Fun stuff. The film is worth watching for this, but if you want the backstage dope, definitely check out the documentary Lost Soul.

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
Is this the first time they have released the Director's Cut or was that on the previous Blu-ray?

Edit: Actually, if anything, it looks like this may be the first release of the Theatrical cut.

I'm not an expert on this movie or anything, but from what I can tell the 96-minute theatrical cut was released on VHS and Laserdisc, while the DVD and Blu-ray (as well as a VHS reissue) were the 100-minute Director's Cut.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks