What's new
World Wide Stereo

Sony 85" Z9K questions (1 Viewer)

jorlanm

Auditioning
Real Name
Jorlan Malabanan
Hi,

Just bought a 85" Z9K! Bought it after Sony announced their 2024 lineup and talked to Robert at Value Electronics and he said that the Z9K will still be carried over this year as the 8K model still.

I'm upgrading from a 75" Z8H and I'm actually surprised how much cleaner the picture quality is...I wasn't expecting that much improvement.

I love the Z9K!

I do have a few questions comparing it to the Z8H...

1. With the same settings (Custom and Warm Temp) on my Z8H and applied the same to my Z9K I noticed the Z9K is more on pink/red hue...is that the same for everyone here?

2. When at the home screen, Netflix, YouTube menus are dim and only brightens when you play videos...is that how its supposed to be?

3. When I turn off the ambient light setting I noticed the sub items under it like auto tone curve and auto luminance are still says "On" even though its greyed out...are they still actually on?

4. Is there a way I can stop the TV from going to Game Mode for my Xbox Series X and PS5 when I have the HDMI settings on Enhanced 4K 120hz VRR/ALM?

5. All the noise reduction and contrast/black enhancer are Off by default. I did turn off smooth gradation also...should I leave it at low?

6. I noticed that on HDMI 2 & 3 If I have it on Enhanced Dolby Vision the PS5 sees it as just a HDMI 2.0 and switched to YUV422 instead of RGB...why is that?

Thanks in advance to all!

Last edited:
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Hi,

Just bought a 85" Z9K! Bought it after Sony announced their 2024 lineup and talked to Robert at Value Electronics and he said that the Z9K will still be carried over this year as the 8K model still.

I'm upgrading from a 75" Z8H and I'm actually surprised how much cleaner the picture quality is...I wasn't expecting that much improvement.

I love the Z9K!

I do have a few questions comparing it to the Z8H...

1. With the same settings (Custom and Warm Temp) on my Z8H and applied the same to my Z9K I noticed the Z9K is more on pink/red hue...is that the same for everyone here?

Custom is the best Picture Mode and it's calibrated and now Sony is selling the White Point so it's best to leave the as the factory set it in the "Custom Picture Mode"

2. When at the home screen, Netflix, YouTube menus are dim and only brightens when you play videos...is that how its supposed to be?

Sorry I don't know, but here’s Sony’s best customer support phone # 239-245-6354

3. When I turn off the ambient light setting I noticed the sub items under it like auto tone curve and auto luminance are still says "On" even though its greyed out...are they still actually on?
Yes.
4. Is there a way I can stop the TV from going to Game Mode for my Xbox Series X and PS5 when I have the HDMI settings on Enhanced 4K 120hz VRR/ALM?

5. All the noise reduction and contrast/black enhancer are Off by default. I did turn off smooth gradation also...should I leave it at low?
I like Smooth Gradation on and set to Low, try the other Smooth Gradation settings to see which one you like best.
6. I noticed that on HDMI 2 & 3 If I have it on Enhanced Dolby Vision the PS5 sees it as just a HDMI 2.0 and switched to YUV422 instead of RGB...why is that?
Hopefully other members will jump in to answer some of your questions and Sony support phone # 239-245-6345 will help. If you can't get the answers call or email me and I'll call my engineer friend and get back to you.

Thanks in advance to all!

jorlanm

Auditioning
Real Name
Jorlan Malabanan
Hi Robert,

Thanks for the reply.

I was just curious about these new features that the Z9K have that my old Z8H didnt have. I want to use it at its best potential so Im playing with the new settings a bit 😉.

The Z9K is an top tier TV, build quality is solid, sounds pretty good even if you dont use a sound bar. But the best part is the picture quality...its one of those things hard to describe and best seen in person. And having an 8K screen I can sit really close to it and still looks awesome!

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
I shot my son's weeding with a Native 8K mirrorless SLR camera and when we played the Native 8K video on our 85Z9K the images were stunning!

Also Sony's 8K XR processor does an exceptional job of scaling 1080i, 1080p and all 4K content to the TV native 8K resolution to look like true 8K content.

jorlanm

Auditioning
Real Name
Jorlan Malabanan
I shot my son's weeding with a Native 8K mirrorless SLR camera and when we played the Native 8K video on our 85Z9K the images were stunning!

Also Sony's 8K XR processor does an exceptional job of scaling 1080i, 1080p and all 4K content to the TV native 8K resolution to look like true 8K content.
For a carry over from 2022. The Z9K still does a lot of things better, even compared to the newer 2024 TV's...its really that good 😄

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BennettKarina
Recent bookmarks