What's new
World Wide Stereo

Martin Dew

HTF News Editor
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Martin Dew
SAN DIEGO, CA — January 7, 2021 — Sony Electronics Inc. today announced the world’s first cognitive intelligence televisions. The new BRAVIA XR televisions include MASTER Series Z9J 8K LED, MASTER Series A90J and A80J OLED, and X95J and X90J 4K LED.
Powered by the Cognitive Processor XR, the brain of the new BRAVIA XR, the televisions use a completely new processing method designed to replicate the ways humans see and hear. When we see objects, we unconsciously focus on certain points. Cognitive Processor XR, powered by cognitive intelligence, divides the screen into numerous zones and detects where the “focal point” is in the picture. While conventional Artificial Intelligence (AI) can only detect and analyze picture elements like color, contrast and detail individually, the new processor can cross-analyze an array of elements at once, just as our brains do. By doing so, each element is adjusted to its best final outcome, in conjunction with each other, so everything is...

Continue reading...

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
We may be approaching the day when we will watch a film or show and takeaway only memories of how well the content was presented as opposed to it's actual artistic value. While interesting, I think my brain has enough to keep track of already. :emoji_older_man:

YanMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Yannick
@Robert_Zohn (or anyone else who might know),

I'm very interested in Sony's 2021 lineup, but I'm a little concerned about Sony's descriptions about what the XR processor does with all this AI-based image enhancement and how that might affect creator's intent with respect to reproducing what's on disc as intended with minimal image processing.

Any idea from your Sony engineer contacts if these XR AI-based image enhancement features can be fully disabled (such as having a Filmmaker or Direct mode option)?

Thanks for any info you might have.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Yes, you can disable the Ambient light and color sensors and the XR cognitive processing features. But wanted you to know that Sony Pictures would not approve the A90J engineers to do anything that would take anything away from the filmmakers intent.

What the new special XR cognitive process does is analyze each frame and to put some extra processing power in areas that it knows our eye/brain would normally focus on in real life.

I'm confident that Sony knows best and would not alter the creators intent. However, with our professional calibrator we'll be very carefully looking at how the XR processor is working and if it changes the color fidelity, contrast or color saturation to be out of the specs we'll disable it when we calibrate our clients TVs and give our customers instruction on how to enable if so they can do an a/b and select their personal preferences.

YanMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Yannick
Thanks for that info, Robert.

Unfortunately, the A90J is is a bit out of my budget, as much as I would love to go for it.

The X90J is probably more in line with what I want to spend for a 65-inch... any initial impressions as to how it will compare to the 2020 X900H? Major improvements, or just incremental?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomkzufomsg
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale