What's new

SOUND OF MUSIC 4K restoration and 70mm reissue??? (1 Viewer)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
South Pacific was a tremendous success across the world in its day, so the filters must not have been objectionable enough to turn off most patrons. It ran for years in New York, London, and Tokyo at roadshow prices. Being filmed in Todd-AO like The Sound of Music, they'd both be prime candidates for UHD treatment if done correctly.

South Pacific would probably need some work but Fox already has 4k versions of these large format muscials that would mainly need a proper HDR grading and some would argue additional color timing here and there (not going into that discussion):

The Sound of Music
Oklahoma!
Dr. Dolittle
Hello, Dolly!
Carousel
The King and I

I would buy all of them again if done properly, bring it on Disney!

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Yes it would be, but better! ;) I wonder if they even have the non-filtered trims.
There are none. The scenes were filmed with the filters on the camera, meaning the effect is in the original camera negative. I suppose there may be a few seconds on either side that were shot nonfiltered so they could do the dissolves, but director Joshua Logan was assured the filters could be removed in post production if he didn't like them. Well, he didn't like them but they could not be removed.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Which is why SOUTH PACIFIC is the only movie in the R&H set that I will never watch a second time. THE KING AND I and CAROUSEL are such good movies otherwise that I have to grit my teeth to get through the criminal neo color grading used by idiots at Fox. Too bad, because if not for that, these would be stellar releases. Your turn, Bruce. ;)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Which is why SOUTH PACIFIC is the only movie in the R&H set that I will never watch a second time. THE KING AND I and CAROUSEL are such good movies otherwise that I have to grit my teeth to get through the criminal neo color grading used by idiots at Fox. Too bad, because if not for that, these would be stellar releases. Your turn, Bruce. ;)

You’re being a bit rough on Fox. These are extremely problematic elements.

Reactions: PMF

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
As I recall, Can Can has major element problems.

Around 2013, Fox did a poll asking, by decade, which of their classic films we would like to see on Blu-Ray, and CAN-CAN was one of the choices. It got my vote, as the DVD reflected the element problems you mentioned. I presumed that they had done some work on the film since they included it as a choice, but maybe I assumed too much.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Around 2013, Fox did a poll asking, by decade, which of their classic films we would like to see on Blu-Ray, and CAN-CAN was one of the choices. It got my vote, as the DVD reflected the element problems you mentioned. I presumed that they had done some work on the film since they included it as a choice, but maybe I assumed too much.

It appears to have partial Alamo Syndrome.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.