What's new

Press Release SPHE Press Release: Columbia Classics 4k Ultra HD Collection: Volume 4 (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have the same MSRP concern. I'm hoping it's an error. To go from $164.99 to 215.99 is quite a price hike. That's like a 31% increase.
If this $215.99 MSRP holds true, then I'm going to pass on this boxset for now. Even if it's discounted down by 30%, the final sale price will still be around $151.00 which is about $25 per movie. Over the years, I've purchased the iTunes HD digital for five of the six titles. The only HD digital that I don't have is Punch-Drunk Love. So, if my iTunes HD digitals get their free iTunes 4K upgrade then I'm good until that boxset is discounted enough to my price point range. Browsing the retailers, I see that Volume 3 is now selling anywhere from $76.00 to 95.00. If Volume 4 gets down to around the $110.00 mark, depending on the retailer, I might become interested in purchasing it.

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
According to Amazon UK, the UK release date for the set is March 4. Price is 130 pounds, or approx $165 at the current exchange rate.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
According to Amazon UK, the UK release date for the set is March 4. Price is 130 pounds, or approx $165 at the current exchange rate.
Ah - it has just been announced in all the same territories, as the previous sets. Pretty sure the price will come down, then.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
If this $215.99 MSRP holds true, then I'm going to pass on this boxset for now. Even if it's discounted down by 30%, the final sale price will still be around $151.00 which is about $25 per movie. Over the years, I've purchased the iTunes HD digital for five of the six titles. The only HD digital that I don't have is Punch-Drunk Love. So, if my iTunes HD digitals get their free iTunes 4K upgrade then I'm good until that boxset is discounted enough to my price point range. Browsing the retailers, I see that Volume 3 is now selling anywhere from $76.00 to 95.00. If Volume 4 gets down to around the $110.00 mark, depending on the retailer, I might become interested in purchasing it.

FWIW, Vol 3 went down below $70 at one point during BF shopping season, which I kicked myself for missing, IIRC, but I finally ended up ordering it for $75 a week or two later w/ a surprising Amex 40%-off deal (plus some promo credits I had gained), so... :lol::D

I had waffled about ordering at somewhat higher prices before (in that $75-90 range) partly because I had already bought/owned the 4K digitals (sometimes from someone selling off their DCs from the set), which tempered my desire to spend more on the set -- admittedly, $75 for the set is definitely a good bargain, and even $90 (or $15/title) is quite good, if one actually likes all the titles enough... and IIRC, most of them were actually available sold separately (broken out of the set) for $15-20/title on eBay.

I did completely miss out on Vol 1 though... as that one completely sold out before it ever got discounted anywhere near $100 (NVM below that), IIRC. Needless to say, I (and many others) did finally get a standalone 4K of LoA (and also Dr Strangelove)... though still kinda hate that steelbook, LOL.

For this new set, I again will probably already have most of them in digital form (and/or decent-to-good BD in most cases), so (again) no rush to get it at all.

And like a few others, I have somewhat mixed feelings about these sets (beyond the high starting point pricing). I do definitely appreciate all the care they put into them, that they're not merely box-o-junk kinds nor bundled w/ any truly mediocre films like often done (by other studios), *plus* they all get their own standalone-style cases/packaging that can easily be treated as such (in storage, on the shelf, etc), if one desires... :cool:

_Man_

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[…]And like a few others, I have somewhat mixed feelings about these sets (beyond the high starting point pricing). I do definitely appreciate all the care they put into them, that they're not merely box-o-junk kinds nor bundled w/ any truly mediocre films like often done (by other studios), *plus* they all get their own standalone-style cases/packaging that can easily be treated as such (in storage, on the shelf, etc), if one desires... :cool:

_Man_
Wholeheartedly agree that this Columbia Classics series, first and foremost, has placed upon it an extrordinary amount of care. It’s a class act of presentation, as well as possessing an excellence in sight and sound. All of our wish-listings or quibbles about which titles were included or not included is a sidebar of conversations that do not negate the overall. It’s a great series of endeavor and consistency that has yet to be fulfilled, in which each of its building block volumes proves to always be solid.

I, myself, am in for the entire ride.

Merry Christmas to Grover Crisp and his Cracker-Jack team.

P.S. Hoping ManW will one day capture his Volume One; as Lawrence of Arabia, alone, is worth the entire set

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
P.S. Hoping ManW will one day capture his Volume One; as Lawrence of Arabia, alone, is worth the entire set

Oh, no need. I did manage to finally snag a standalone copy w/ that awful steelbook :P when inventory briefly resurfaced again a few months ago -- I also recently snagged a copy of the Dr Strangelove 4K at very good price to boot... though none of the others made it to standalone releases so far.

Yeah, it woulda been nice if I coulda gotten the whole Vol 1 set for say $100 or so, especially before I finally got a copy of the LoA 4K, but that's probably never gonna happen (as it'd likely sell out at near-MSRP in a jiffy if it ever actually, officially resurfaces at normal retail), so...

I *would* like to see most of the rest of that set also get standalone releases at normal prices though -- well, mostly Gandhi and maybe Mr Smith Goes to Washington anyway (as I don't feel the need for the other two even though I like them quite well).

_Man_

Reactions: PMF

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Is Volume 4's MSRP higher than prior volumes? I haven't been following these collections much since I haven't been interested in the title selections until Vol. 4. Saw the set for $189 on some indie retailer I purchase frequently from but it's still WAY too high for my liking even though I'm usually not a cheapskate. I recognize good work when I see it and am willing to pay fair prices but here it seems SONY is, plain and simply, price gouging. Maybe because of Starman and the TV series being included? The studio knows it's a big title and will reel in more potential customers. I think I'll wait for a good price drop but I REALLY don't want to wait until next Black Friday.

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
If Columbia lowers their price for Volume 4 and the series continues, I would hope to see a 4K/UHD provided of the following overall titles; before their 100th anniversary begins to lose its meaning or impact:

The Age of Innocence
All the Kings Men
The Big Heat
Born Free
Born Yesterday
Bugsy
Bye Bye Birdie
Cactus Flower
The Cardinal
Five Easy Pieces
Funny Girl
Legends of the Fall
The Long Gray Line
Lost Horizon (Capra)
A Man for All Seasons
On the Waterfront
A Passage to India
Places in the Heart
The Prince of Tides
Tootsie
You Can’t Take it with You

NOTE: The Last Emperor was omitted from my list, as it is already available through Arrow; unless Grover Crisp and his good team already has something up their sleeves to better it.
Sony does not have home video rights to The Last Emperor. It has never been released by them. Criterion currently has it licensed it from Hanway Films,

• Appreciate
Reactions: PMF

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
I received the set today. The booklet features 4 pages of quotes from 26 Columbia films. All but four of those films have been released by Sony on 4K Blu-Ray, either in the 4K collections or separately. The exceptions: On the Waterfront, Tootsie, Awakenings and Talladega Nights. Makes me wonder if those four titles are/were under consideration for 4K Blu-Ray release.

Last edited:

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
My copy shipped from Deep Discount yesterday, where this release is now listed as "Currently Unavailable."

Last edited:

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
There are rumors that this was a much smaller run than volumes 2 and 3. Amazon is currently the only large on-line retailer with it in stock, and Amazon hasn’t discounted it at all. You may be fine waiting, but there’s a chance you’ll miss out.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There are rumors that this was a much smaller run than volumes 2 and 3. Amazon is currently the only large on-line retailer with it in stock, and Amazon hasn’t discounted it at all. You may be fine waiting, but there’s a chance you’ll miss out.
Then I'm fine with the iTunes 4K digitals.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert

Currently $175 at Amazon Canada....

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Zavvi is selling for $168.99. They list March 4 as the release date, so you'll have to wait a couple more weeks for it, but at least there is a discount!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks