What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021) (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
As part of Disney and Sony's arrangement to place Spider-Man in the MCU, they share characters. Peter (whose film rights are owned by Sony) was "on loan" to appear in Civil War and Avengers. In exchange for that, Disney-owned MCU characters are "on loan" to Sony for use in their Spider-Man films. It's not so much about replacing Iron Man necessarily, but Sony wants to be able to have someone from the wider MCU in their films. This is also a distinguishing feature of the MCU because Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield were not (previously) allowed to play with other superheroes before now. If you're going to put Peter Parker into the MCU, it makes sense that there would be other superheroes there.

That being said, I think that the selection of Doctor Strange to appear in this film was essential because he allows the plot to happen. He and Peter already knew each other from the events of Infinity War, so it makes sense that Peter would go to him for help. Also, once they decided that this movie would be about the multiverse, there aren't that many characters who possess the ability to do that. Certainly no one else who has previously been in direct contact with Peter would be able to do that.

My critique (in specifically mentioning/comparing Downey Jr's Tony Stark) wasn't about that, but about how they actually used Strange... in a way that makes the character very similar to the MCU rendition of Tony Stark, especially in relation to this Peter Parker...

I was fine w/ what they did w/ Tony Stark in general (partly because I didn't really follow Iron Man in the comics), especially since all that long predated the crossover w/ Spiderman, but doing something so similar w/ Strange here was a bit too much for me to overlook -- yeah, part of that is I did follow Strange in the comics (back in the 80's thru early-90's anyway), but also, really, it all just makes him seem too amateurish and reckless for the character/role, which demands a lot more wisdom and gravitas...

RE: the whole multiverse premise/plotting, there was already a (much) better, recent, Spiderman take on that, which actually makes the deficiency here that much more glaring (and unfortunate) IMHO -- that version illustrates and proves there's really no need to use Strange at all, NVM in that rather lame way...

_Man_

Last edited:
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Marissa Tomei was on The Tonight Show to promote the movie's digital release.

Last edited:

Kent K H

Supporting Actor
Ah they are releasing all the movies in a boxset? ;) Hopefully I will watch the new one soon.
Would have been nice to have one outside of the 2-fer steelbook sets from Best Buy that are so expensive on the secondary market.

The last two series are on 4K, but not packaged as one set. I wouldn't be surprised if at some point there was a 9-film package with the Magire/Garfield/MCU/Spider-Verse films, and subsequent releases that add more of the animated movies or MCU movies as they happen, like the way we get updated Fast & Furious sets every couple of years.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Missed the theater for obvious reasons. Being a weirdo ;) I waited to buy the discs, and had time to watch last night.

I enjoyed it. The Sony / Marvel Spider-Man movies have all been fun and well done. Asserting all prior Spider-Man movies are actually due to multi-verse was cute, and it was fun seeing a bunch of bad movies made into something better. Particularly, NWH fixed my essential complaint with original 2002 Spiderman: They took the mask off of Willem Dafoe!!!! That man is so incredibly expressive and it was a crime against cinema to put him behind the Goblin mask in the first movie. 20 years later, cinema healed. :)

It’s kinda weird that three years later, MCU blatantly rips off Spider-Verse. But that’s the movie biz.

But, my impression from early reviews and comments was “OMG best MCU movie ever mind blown!”. And it was a typically good MCU time — the solo films I think are always much better than the uber ensemble endgame movies. But NWH for me wasn’t especially amazing. Just fun, stuff-blows-up, multi-verse action with enough character arc to make it worthwhile.

That said, Middle-aged Spider-Man pep talk was good for the soul :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
These scenes will add over 15 minutes to the theatrical cut's 148-minute runtime:

• Interrogation Scene Extended - 2:25
  • Peter Day at Midtown High - 5:25
  • Undercroft Montage - 1:35
  • Happy’s Very Good Lawyer - 1:35
  • The Spideys Hang Out - 4:25

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
This seems like an admission by Sony that they won’t have a new Spider-Man movie ready to go two years after this one, which has been their pattern forever.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
they won’t have a new Spider-Man movie ready to go two years after this one
I don't think the re-release is related to that. Sony also released an extended version of Far From Home in theaters in September 2019, so they've done this before. I honestly think it is just an attempt to make more money. which is exactly what it was last time. And it will probably work.

(Plus, there will be a Spider-Man movie in 2023, just not with Tom Holland. Across the Spider-Verse is scheduled for June 2, 2023. I think Sony also has at least one of their Venom universe movies coming next year too, although I don't pay attention to those.)

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I don't think the re-release is related to that. Sony also released an extended version of Far From Home in theaters in September 2019, so they've done this before. I honestly think it is just an attempt to make more money. which is exactly what it was last time. And it will probably work.

Hunh. I don't recall ever hearing about an extended version of FFH being released in theaters.

At any rate, I don't know if under normal conditions I would bother to see an extended NWH in the theater. But my wife and I never got around to seeing the original version in the theater. If the extended version gets IMAX showings, I'll probably go see it.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Hunh. I don't recall ever hearing about an extended version of FFH being released in theaters.

It was a little bit of a blink and you missed it thing but it came back with a couple of the deleted scenes reincorporated as an extended opening. I think if you have the disc, although it doesn’t include the alternate cut as a different version, it does have all of the footage presented as deleted scenes. More of a “let’s get a couple extra bucks from die hard fans on a slow moviegoing weekend” endeavor than a real director’s cut.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
If the extended version gets IMAX showings, I'll probably go see it.
The trades are reporting it now and do say that it will have IMAX and PLFs (premium large format screens.)

I think if you have the disc, although it doesn’t include the alternate cut as a different version, it does have all of the footage presented as deleted scenes.
You are correct. It inserted the footage from the "Peter's To-Do List" short on the Blu-ray into the first act of the film. Near the end, there was another scene in which "Nick Fury" calls Mysterio to alert him to the issue in London. That one is in the deleted scenes section on the Blu-ray. Neither one really did anything to advance the plot that wasn't already clear elsewhere in the theatrical cut.
More of a “let’s get a couple extra bucks from die hard fans on a slow moviegoing weekend” endeavor than a real director’s cut.
You're right about this too. They never called it a "Director's Cut." Jon Watts even said that they cut the scenes of Peter preparing to for the Europe trip from the original version because he felt that the trip was the entire plot and it was important for the pacing of the film to get to Europe as soon as possible. I liked the deleted scenes as individual scenes but I agree completely with his instincts to cut them the first time. This was 100% a desire from Sony to get more money out of it, and I suspect that is the case this time too. Notice they are not calling this the "Director's Cut" of No Way Home either.

That being said, it will be interesting to see what, if anything, Sony will put in the post-credits scene space for this release. There would be no reason at all to show the Multiverse of Madness teaser in that spot in September since that film will have totally completed its release cycle by then. Maybe they will substitute a trailer for Across the Spider-Verse or one of the other upcoming Sony villain universe films instead.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoneman66
Recent bookmarks