What's new

Split Image (1982) (1 Viewer)

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit
I ask about Split Image every few years but never really get any info. Anybody know what happened to it and why it's not on DVD and never (as far as I can tell) shown on TV? It had stars (James Woods, Karen Allen, Peter Fonda, Michael O'Keefe, Brian Dennehy) and an interesting plot (a Rashnishi-like cult and deprogramming). IMDB claims it's from Polygram with distributers Embassy Home Entertainment and Orion. Is it in some kind of litigation hell?

walter o

Supporting Actor
As I mentioned in the D.B COOPER thread, this is probably controlled by whoever controls the Polygram library, but you would have thought by know DEADLY BLESSING, ENDLESS LOVE would be out on dVD , so you might be correct, it is in some rights hell!

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
Great underrated movie. I am one of the few people who actually saw in a theater. It would be great if it got released, but most people have never heard of it.

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit
I saw it on HBO (or Showtime) after its initial theater run and liked it a lot. I seem to remember that it got fairly good reviews too. It came out on VHS, but is long out of print. Makes you wonder how many other fairly good movies are gone, poof, as if they never existed.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

And as I mentioned in the D.B. COOPER thread, it is likely stuck in the same rights limbo that may or may not involve MGM and/or Hearst Entertainment.

Supposedly, someone from MGM said that they did not have the first batch of Polygram productions, not even DEADLY BLESSING, which was released by United Artists initially. They could be wrong, it's happened to me before, but the lack of action on movies that are in demand like ENDLESS LOVE leads me to think this time they speak the truth.

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
ENDLESS LOVE was at least theatrically released by Universal -- and it's now on DVD pretty much everywhere else from Universal outside the U.S. (Europe, Australia, etc.) too in a nifty 16:9 transfer. Like AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON it's one of those titles that's in Universal's domain right now (as AWIL was also a Polygram production Universal theatrically released, and now Uni has the rights to again), so I'm guessing they just haven't gotten around to doing a U.S. DVD.

Sadly that doesn't shed any light on SPLIT IMAGE, which sounds like a fascinating film indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
totoattack
Recent bookmarks