What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Still no chance of My World and Welcome To It and He and She making it onto DVD? (1 Viewer)

Ian K McLachlan

Second Unit
Real Name
Ian Kenneth McLachlan
It was a number of years ago that I suggested that My World would make an excellent DVD release. Someone one also suggested He and She would make a great release too. Is there still no chance of either of these series making it onto DVD please? After all My World was an award winning show.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
I remember watching My World at the time and enjoyed it, always liked William Windom.

John Karras

Second Unit
Real Name
Lawrence
Despite My World being a charming show that never got the ratings it deserved, I wonder how many people these days would actually "get" the subtle humor. How many younger generations even know who James Thurber even is? The problem has always been that attempts to transform Thurber's material to live action (both on television and in the theater) were never successful. I think that Thurber's stories and accompanying illustrations are so strongly matched, that a lot of the charm is lost in live action.

My World did run in the 1990's on Foxnet and as part of the Syndex programming package, so at least there are useable tape transfers around.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
He and She does get brought up at CBS and its not as forgotten as some shows are, due to its high quality. However, since its only run in the last 3 decades was off of 16mm prints on USA network, the original 35mm film elements would have to be transferred.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Vahan_Nisanain said:
Just found out that "He and She" starred Paula Prentiss, the hot American chick from Woody Allen's film debut "What's New, Pussycat?".
I remember Paula Prentiss from several other films as well, Where the Boys Are, The Parralax View, Stepford Wives to name a few.

ScottRichard

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Richard V said:
I remember Paula Prentiss from several other films as well, Where the Boys Are, The Parralax View, Stepford Wives to name a few.
I love her in Man's Favorite Sport? with Rock Hudson! I've always wanted to see He and She.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Ian K McLachlan said:
It was a number of years ago that I suggested that My World would make an excellent DVD release. Someone one also suggested He and She would make a great release too. Is there still no chance of either of these series making it onto DVD please? After all My World was an award winning show.

Make it for who? The 10-15 people in the world that even know the show existed? It lasted what, 6 months tops on TV? Oh yeah, I'm sure there's a HUGE market for shows like this. :)

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Alf S said:
Make it for who? The 10-15 people in the world that even know the show existed? It lasted what, 6 months tops on TV? Oh yeah, I'm sure there's a HUGE market for shows like this. :)
Hopefully, there's still a market for quality, however obscure. You market it the same way you would market any show that has no built-in reputation. New shows have to be marketed from the ground up. Why not an older one?

William Windom is certainly remembered for MURDER, SHE WROTE, if not so much for THE FARMER'S DAUGHTER anymore. Lisa Gerritson is remembered as Bess on MARY TYLER MOORE, Joan Hotchkis was prominent as Felix's ex-wife on THE ODD COUPLE and the name James Thurber resonates among animation fans and a few others. Sure, it's not going to sell like STAR TREK, but with proper handling it could find its small cult audience, especially since the entire run would fit on one set. Who would have thought we'd ever see GOOD MORNING, WORLD come to DVD. But we did.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Rob_Ray said:
Hopefully, there's still a market for quality, however obscure. You market it the same way you would market any show that has no built-in reputation. New shows have to be marketed from the ground up. Why not an older one?

William Windom is certainly remembered for MURDER, SHE WROTE, if not so much for THE FARMER'S DAUGHTER anymore. Lisa Gerritson is remembered as Bess on MARY TYLER MOORE, Joan Hotchkis was prominent as Felix's ex-wife on THE ODD COUPLE and the name James Thurber resonates among animation fans and a few others. Sure, it's not going to sell like STAR TREK, but with proper handling it could find its small cult audience, especially since the entire run would fit on one set. Who would have thought we'd ever see GOOD MORNING, WORLD come to DVD. But we did.
As Rob Ray says, "Never say never" (except when it comes to restoration of The Alamo of course)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Joan Hotchkiss didn't play Felix's ex-wife, she played Oscar's girlfriend Nancy Cunningham in the first and second seasons.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
I watched the series again a few years ago and didn't like it as much as I did when I was a kid. It still has some charm and Lisa Gerritsen steals every scene she's in, but the stories are very repetitive and the lead character played by Windom as Thurber's alter-ego is hard to take. There is a lot of misogyny in it that I didn't appreciate at all and would not be a selling point these days. The show just didn't hold up for me and I was disappointed to discover that, but for those who have fond memories of it and want to see it again I hope it gets a release.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Rob_Ray said:

The cost to produce such a niche item IMO would be WAY WAY too much since they will have little to no sales to make their $$$ back.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
A show from 40-50 years ago that failed had ten times the audience that a hit show has now. Back then, you could have 15-20 million viewers a week and get cancelled. Unfortunately, the majority of people have no memories and if they haven't seen a show in decades, they likely have forgotten it existed.

upperco

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jackson Upperco
I had a dream last night that some friends and I broke into Richard Benjamin and Paula Prentiss' house in search of good quality, unedited prints of HE & SHE.

Neil Brock said:
He and She does get brought up at CBS and its not as forgotten as some shows are, due to its high quality.
Neil, I thought that HBO now owns the Talent Associates library, including HE & SHE. Does CBS in fact retain ownership, or partial ownership?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks