What's new

Stones---NOT on SACD (1 Viewer)

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
I have just heard from a usually reliable source with connections to Polygram, that the new Stones reissues will NOT be on SACD, just on CD! Apparently, Sony, for God knows what reason (probably Allan Klein not wanting to pay the royalty for SACD to Sony), will not permit them to come out. God, I hope I'm wrong about this, but this guy is almost always right about such things, so I am very nervous.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Larry,
I find this very hard to believe seeing as Sony has posted the ABKCO Rolling Stone release in bold print on its own Super Audio News Site.
Go to www.superaudio-cd.com and click on news heading!
I don't believe this until I hear the official story of retrenchment. I does not feel right.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Seems like your source may be mistaken as they have already begun the mastering...
"Over the years, we have had many requests to re-issue these titles using the latest digital remastering techniques," remarked ABKCO’s Jody Klein who noted that the albums were first released in the CD format in 1986. Klein, who supervised the development of ABKCO’s The Rolling Stones Remastered Series stated, "Improvements in technology had only been incremental since then so we didn’t feel there was a compelling reason to go back to the market with these classic albums – until now." Klein cites DSD mastering which samples the original audio signal 2,822,400 times per second, 64 times faster than standard CD encoding, as one of the main catalysts for the series. "DSD more accurately reflects the sonic quality of analog than any other medium so the depth one hears on these discs in standard or SACD playback is quite amazing.
And from Jody Klein as well.
Sounds like a done deal to me :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Larry, I hope your usually right source is wrong on this one. If the Stones SACDs do not materialize, this will be huge blow for the format, especially if word gets out that Sony is the bottleneck.

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
I hate to keep sounding this way but nothing, absolutely nothing, surprises me when it comes to Sony.

That's the reason why I'm sticking with DVD-A for the near future.

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
Can we *please* not turn this into a SACD vs. DVD-A flame war? Thanks.

Considering the publicity machine has already been cranked into high gear for this, it seems to me all the details are locked in. Sony was even using the Stones stuff as demo material at HE 2002. If it falls through, I'd lay the blame solely at the feet of Abkco, not Sony. Allan Klein has screwed up a good thing far too many times in the past.

The only upside to this development (in the surprising event it turns out to be true) would be that it would save me a lot of money in August.

Ryan

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ryan asked:
I hate to keep sounding this way but nothing, absolutely nothing, surprises me when it comes to Sony.
That's the reason why I'm sticking with DVD-A for the near future.
You don't have to like Sony. That's O.K. But what exactly has Warner done lately for DVD-Audio? Nada. Warner lowered software prices, but has not been releasing new titles. Note that I have both SACD and DVD-Audio players and like both formats, so I have no bias or agenda. I am just being objective. I have been highly critical of Sony's handling of SACD on the software side, but Warner has done nothing over the past four months or so. Www.dvdaudiopreview.com is a graveyard. Again, you don't have to like Sony and their handling of SACD, but it's not like your preferred format is taking the world over by storm.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
I don't know if this link has already been posted (sorry if so) but here's a related story: Link Removed

Al B. C

Supporting Actor

It's not that I don't like Sony. They make some fine A/V equipment. It's just that they have a checkered past when it comes to backing formats.

I think we can all agree on that point.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
It's just that they have a checkered past when it comes to backing formats.
It is true that their past has had some successes and failures, but Super Audio is much bigger than previous launches.
This will impact the way they sell to both the pro and consumer market, so I think this is a different situation.
I worked recently with a famous consultant who studied innovation. He found the best companies try new things and often fail but also succeed. The key is learning from failure - so-called "failing upward" (hey I resemble that remark ;)).
We will see in time if it pays off for Sony. In the meantime I am looking forward to listening to the Rolling Stones in high-rez! :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Al,
One can certainly argue that Sony has not done the best job marketing its novel formats over the years. That's fine. However, you made a statement that because of Sony's past history with new formats, you are sticking with DVD-Audio. I felt compelled to balance the discussion, in the interest of objectivity, with the fact that Warner is doing no better in supporting DVD-Audio. Let it be known that I have challenged people coming from the opposite vantage point as well.
Jack,
So you know, reliable sources tell me that a friend of a friend woke up last night in a bathtub full of ice with one kidney removed. It must be true! ;)

Al B. C

Supporting Actor
I'm not defending Warner at all.
I can't believe that one of these huge conglomerates can't just open an extra large can of whoop ass on the other and claim some sort of dominance in this assinine format war.
At this point, NONE of us are winning.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Al,
I understand your frustration, believe me. I feel Sony Music and Warner could be doing a lot more to support SACD and DVD-Audio, respectively.
Micahel,
Very well said, and I couldn't agree more. I have made the same point on the heavily SACD-biased Hi-Rez Highway board on Audio Asylum many times. Those folks bash DVD-Audio constantly, but hey, with a minimal investment in DVD-Audio, I am hearing the best digital versions of Steely Dan Two Against Nature, Fleetwood Mac Rumours, and Eagles Hotel California, among others. Some people are so heavily allied with one format that they have, in essence, made a conscience decision to deny themselves the ability to enjoy great-sounding music on the other format. It is supposed to be about the music, isn't it? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
autismcoe
Recent bookmarks