What's new
World Wide Stereo

Strange 'vibration/distortion' at high tones (1 Viewer)

tim687

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim
Since a while ago, I noticed that my audio isn't clear anymore. As a audio enthusiast, this is not acceptable :P
It sounds like the high tones are too high for the speakers to 'display'. I've played every Windows sound (From the Windows/Media folder) and recorded the output with my mic, so you can hopefully hear what I mean.

Speaker Sample

I use the following setup:
Bose Acoustimass 10 Series II (5.1 home cinema set)
Sony STR-DB940
Windows 10 with DTS Output.
I've resetted the A/V receiver multiple times, without any result. The 'test tone (pink noise) sound normal without any strange noises. I've set my impedance output to 4 Ohms (switching to 8 Ohms doesn't fix the problem).
I had the equalizer running at a preset for a while (low's where 'boosted'), but I've turned that off.
Could it be that somehow, a thing that is not good is 'burned' in into my speakers?

The bass is as clear as it should be, and nothing strange is happening in that freq range.
To make things more frustrating, not every high tone is 'displayed' wrong, but the Windows tones are the most noticeable.

I regularly turn up the volume (to number 4/10) for an hour or sometimes even a little longer. Not a whole day though (max 3 hours)

Today I shortened the wires of the speaker cables a little, because they where too long. I didn't notice anything.
I am using Foobar2K to play music, and I've added a few DSP's to the output.

Real Bass Exciter:
Threshold Freq: 984 Hz
Harmonic Freq: 70Hz
Harmonic Bandwith: 200Hz
Harmonic Energy: 26dB
Above Pre-Wave Decay: -92dB
Below Pre-Wave Decay: -8dB

Channel Mixer:
Nothing fancy to be setup here, just normal cloning of the 2 stereo speakers to the rest of the speakers. Sub is disabled however.

Resampler (PPHS): 96000 Hz (with ultra mode)

However, Windows sounds are not going trough these DSP's.
What I did notice, is that when I am playing a song, and play Assetto Corsa and let the engine run stationary (mid freq engine tone) that the unwanted sound is very noticeable.
Without the music playing and the engine still running, it is much less, and when I rev the engine to it's limiter (rather high freq engine tone), the unwanted sound is gone, even when it drops back to stationary.
I've played a couple of surround sound test (which sound awesome :):))
  • Dolby Atmos (Leaf)
  • DTS Listen Long
  • DTS Listen Short
  • DTS Anthem
  • DTS Orchestra long
  • DTS HD Master Audio Sound Check
  • THX Amazing Life
  • THX Monster and THX
  • Dolby Spheres
  • IMAX Countdown to Furious 7 Scope
All of these little tests played without the unwanted sound.

To me, something that might be plausible is sound that is not 'normalized' (equal volumes), I've turned on the Loudness Equalization option in Windows, but that seems to make the sound worse at sometimes.

There was a point at which the rear speaker connection on the PCB wasn't good anymore, so I resoldered them, and they work fine now.

Could you please help me in figuring out what is going wrong here?

Thank you in advance,

Tim

728x90

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Is the sound bad in just one speaker or all of them? Try swapping the speakers left and right and see if the noise changes sides. If so, you probably have a blown tweeter in one of your speakers.

tim687

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim
The sound sounds like it's coming from all the speakers. Even from the rear speakers, so it could be my amp (maybe bad solder joint) or something else. The problem is that I can't exclude my pc from the problem, since I am the only one with a coaxial digital output. Is it worth the effort to check the solder joints of the amp and driver board in the sub woofer? (all the amp outputs to go the sub, then the sub "subtracts" the bass signal, and outputs the rest of the signal to the satellite speakers.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
If it comes out of all speakers equally, I would suspect your source is the problem... the PC.

tim687

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim
It could very well be the problem, the problem started occurring after the Anniversary update. There is no way to revert back to the previous build of Windows however

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
You might google to see if other people are having the problem and how to fix it.

tim687

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim
I asked at the microsoft answers forum, and there was one guy, he was using HDMI, but he had the same issue. No solution yet.

Little off-topic question, is it possible that the bass sounds deeper after you've had the volume up for a period, and putted it back down?

Edit no 2:

Take a look at this: http://forums.badcaps.net/forum/showpost.php?s=273aab3f4f1436206853dc7e02933aca&p=70375&postcount=3
Chattering is 'To vibrate or rattle while in operation' according to http://www.thefreedictionary.com/chattering

Might this be the case?

Last edited:

tim687

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim
Alright, at the time of posting this message, I got an UAC popup of Windows. The volume is up as high as I would want to go (around 4) and the UAC sound, sounded cristal clear. Is there a possibility that I have got my volume to low? :lol:

tim687

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim
During a maintenance attempt I broke my receiver. I've done a few touch-ups on some of the solder joints, and it broke. Thanks for any help!
I am expecting to receive my new receiver tomorrow, I'll let you know if the strange sound still exists.

tim687

Auditioning
Real Name
Tim
The problem is fixed, I received the new receiver and the sound is very clear and good. Thanks for helping

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks