What's new

Strictly Ballroom Mini Review (1 Viewer)

Skoobooz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
I bought Strictly Ballroom today, and it looks good. The picture is clean, but rather soft. The colors are well represented, but again, everything feels a bit soft (I think it's just how it was shot, but...). There is some grain on the shots with titlecards (ie: the introductions), and, oddly enough, on a shot of President Barry Fife when he declares "no new steps" (perhaps because there was a dissolve). It's also anamorphic. The 5.1 remix is fine and conveys dialogue nicely. The music also comes across well. As for extras, Mr. Luhrmann himself described it pretty well on his recent interview at The Digital Bits. To paraphrase: "Strictly Ballroom was a smaller movie, and the extras represent that." There's the commentary with Baz Luhrmann, Catherine Martin (whom he keeps calling CM, in this and in Romeo + Juliet), and choreographer John O'Connell. Baz gives away some long-kept "secrets" during the commentary, and it's informative. There is the original 30-minute documentary which inspired Strictly Ballroom, presented full frame in 2.0 sound, which looks fine for an extra. It's an interesting documentary, but is a little long and somewhat repetative. Then there's a "Design Gallery," which has about 5 narrated photo gallerys (except one isn't narrated because it's about ten seconds long). There are CG transitions to each gallery. Finally, there are "sneak peaks," including trailers for Chocolat and others...but no Strictly Ballroom trailer. Also, there is an Easter Egg containing a deleted scene from the film, which runs for about a minute and a half, and seems pretty important (shows what Wayne does for Mr. Fife). The sound is bad, and the picture looks like rough film...but it's fine. Anyway, I think it comes out on Tuesday, and it's a good disc, overall.

Kai Zas

Second Unit
Been thinking about this one for a while now. Want to complete the "red curtain"-collection.

How does this compare to Romeo+Juliet and Moulin Rouge?

Sutjahjo Ngaserin

Stunt Coordinator
Personally, I would rank Strictly Ballroom as the bes Baz movie, with Moulin Rouge a distant Second and Romeo + Juliet simply not worth watching...

Gary Harris

Stunt Coordinator
Joseph...I think Lion's Gate has the Canadian rights to it since I saw it today at our local supermarket in a display for 5.99cdn. No specs. Just an el cheapo release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperMarty88
Recent bookmarks