What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Studios to Join Disney Movies Anywhere Platform? (1 Viewer)

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Last edited:

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
It would be nice if Disney would include their Touchstone label to DMA.

I think this is a move to enable them to do just that. Some of those Disney mini studios have R rated fare that they probably don't want under the Disney name. This would open things up for them...

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Last edited:

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Don't assume he was talking about Warner joining Disney.....He thinks there should be one locker, not Disney's, then everybody else's..(UV)..easier for the consumer than having 2 lockers.

“It would be my goal to bridge [UltraViolet] with what Disney is doing, so the consumer doesn’t have to guess is that a Disney movie, or is that a Fox, Sony, Paramount, Universal or Warner Bros. movie?” he said.

"Tsujihara said Disney and other studios could maintain separate sellthrough platforms while combining cloud-based functionality on the backend. The executive said combining user data between UltraViolet and Disney would help the industry grow digital content sales."

Last edited:

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Noticed this in this new website's help section. Was it always there?

What digital movies can I redeem on this website?

Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, and Touchstone Digital HD titles can be redeemed on this website. Titles released prior to June 2013 may require the Digital Copy disc. Please refer to the insert from your Blu-ray or DVD package for specific instructions.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
This hasn't been officially announced yet, but a new "Movies Anywhere" service is being developed by the studios and retailers. All of the Major Studios have signed on, except for MGM, Paramount, and Lionsgate. One hopes they would join before this launches. They have already given MA status to 6000 movies on Vudu. MoviesAnywhere will connect to all the providers that DMA connects to. I am thinking that Movies Anywhere will eventually replace U/V if the remaining studios sign on. It would really be a boon for the EST market if this pans out. It sounds like this will be what UV was originally intended to be, but it took Disney's involvement to make it happen. My only concern is that if this replaces UV, then Disc to Digital and UV sharing would go away.

A new MoviesAnywhere company was formed, with Disney as a parent, so this is pretty close to being launched, I would hazard to guess.

https://www.corporationwiki.com/p/2ryrw9/movies-anywhere-llc

Last edited:

twobelowpar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
If a re-naming, using keychest technology, is what it takes to get all studios on board along with all providers I'm all for it. Never say never but I doubt I'd move from Vudu though.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This is annoying because most of my digital titles are Ultraviolet. If this service replaces UV, what happens to all of those titles?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Right, I imagine they'll carry those titles -- but the question is, what happens to my UV ownership of those titles? If this service replaces UV, do my UV titles migrate to this new service? Or do they just disappear? Or do both of these services co-exist, essentially leaving the current status quo in place?

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
The assumption is all your UV and DMA titles would be folded into the new service...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If that happens, cool. Hopefully the new service will work on one of my existing devices and not require repurchasing.

I'm happy to live in a world where both disc and digital exist, but something like this reminds me of why I prefer a disc for something I want to own. There are plenty of movies I own where the rights have changed hands from one label or studio to another, or where it has gone out of print altogether. I genuinely don't know what's going to happen with my collection of digital titles after this change. Even if they don't disappear from UV, if UV stops being supported, who knows how much longer the studios will pay to keep the lights on over there.

Meanwhile, for any of the discs that I have for movies where the rights to the film have changed or the movie has gone out of print, the discs play just fine and there's no change on my end whatsoever.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Even if they don't disappear from UV, if UV stops being supported, who knows how much longer the studios will pay to keep the lights on over there.

There wouldn't be any lights to keep on. It wouldn't exist after this change - it would just morph into the new service. The studios have all but dropped the UV monicker anyway in favor of the more generic "Digital Movie" (look at the back of Kong). I think they realized that "UltraViolet" didn't really tell the story to the average joe of what the service was about.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks