What's new

Sub and Center speaker hertz overlap question (1 Viewer)

slammy77

Agent
Real Name
Sam
I've a learned a lot in a short period here on the forums and I have a million questions. But for now just one:

I've heard that you need some overlap in hertz when it comes to your sub and your other speakers. For example, if your sub is set to 75hz and lower, then maybe your other speakers need to get down below 75 somewhat.

But how much? How much overlap in hertz is ideal?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Crossovers create an overlap anyway. In other words, the sound doesn't suddenly move from the center to the sub at 75Hz when you have the crossover set at 75Hz. This is the reason you need to set the crossover (which is more accurately described as the center of the crossover range) higher than the low end of your main speakers. How high to set it is a big issue of argument, but I consider the starting point to be double the frequency. As in, if the usable low end (say, about -3 dB) is 50Hz for the least bass capable of your front speakers, then 100Hz is a good point to set the crossover.

The longer answer is more complicated, and will vary depending on the actual low end of your mains, the capabilities of the sub, power available to everything and personal preference/preconceptions/so on. I say preconceptions because an awful lot of people set the crossover too low for invalid reasons. If they set it properly higher, they "hear" disadvantages.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
totoattack
Recent bookmarks