What's new

Sub problem...no volume (1 Viewer)

mikeMeyerson

Auditioning
Have a new problem...it worked fine, nothing was changed.

Onkyo TXSR705 w/ polk powered sub.

I'm not getting anything out of my sub. Connection is fine, It has power....I cranked up all the levels (including the sub setting in the receiver)...when calibrating speaker levels in the Onkyo, I get a very faint sound through the sub (even when it's cranked)...not the rumble I used the get.

Do you guys think this is a sub issue or a receiver issue? Both are pretty new and probably still under warranty.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Hello Mike,

Not immediately clear and simple.
First of all, please make sure you didn't change anything at all really. Think hard.
But even if you didn't change a thing, some setting may have gone astray. Check "presence of sub" (whatever it is called) in your receiver. Sub must not be "off" or "absent".

Is there a relative loudness setting for the sub channel? If yes, what's its value?

Is the sub "line-out" of the receiver indeed connected to the "line in" on your sub? Not the "speaker in"? (That would be wrong.)

OK, assuming that all these are correct, test the following (only for test purposes of course):

(1) connect your sub's line-in (the one now connected to the sub-out of your receiver) to another speaker's out, preferably a line-out, but if you can't: a speaker out. Don't forget to set the cranked up volume back to low first. Are you able to get enough sound? Then the sub is working, but somehow there's no signal from your receiver's sub-out.

(2a) Only possible if your receiver has a sub-speaker out: connect another speaker and see if it plays. Make sure you have the volume pretty low, so you won't damage the speaker. Use a relatively big one, like the center speaker or one of the L/R speakers.

(2b) Only possible if you own an external amplifier of sorts. Connect the sub's line out to that amplifier and connect another big speaker to the amplifier. See if you get sound.

If 2a or 2b is positive, then your receiver outputs the proper sub signal, but something is wrong with the sub.

It's just diagnostics what you are doing this way and, please, don't forget to put the proper connections back in place after wards!
(Make sure, while you change connections) that the equipment is powerd-off while you're changing. Also, you may want to turn volume dials low/off, to turn it up with some caution after you powered the devices up again.)

Hope this may help for a start.

Cees

mikeMeyerson

Auditioning
I tried a different cable...and different outputs from the receiver...no luck. I'm gonna see if I can borrow a sub from a buddy...that should tell me for sure if it's the sub. I've had problems with Polk's before...luckily they're very good about warranty repairs.

mikeMeyerson

Auditioning
UPDATE...Polk is shipping me a new amp for my sub...didn't even have to ship my old one back.

Their customer service is definitely 2nd to none.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Good of them, and good for you!
Hopefully it solves the problem. Please let us hear about it when you know more.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unbob
Recent bookmarks