What's new

Suddenly Need a New A/V Receiver. (1 Viewer)

MannyE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Manny Elgarresta
To give you an idea of how long it's been since I even thought about HT, I'm replacing a B&K Reference 50 which finally gave up the ghost. And to be frank, if Stargate Electronics hadn't gone out of business, I would probably get it refurbished. But it's gone now.

The amp I was using was the original Outlaw 750 5-channel amp. It is going to be re-purposed to drive the output of my Yamaha CR-2020 into my BP-2002 DefTech towers. They love the power and bi-amping the top makes those puppies sing. The vinyl rig is upgrading from the Yamaha NS-690ii speakers to the DefTechs. They aren't as accurate, but they are just more fun to listen to IMO. The L/R speakers will still be part of the HT system. I'm finagling a switch between the Yammy and whatever new receiver comes home.

SO... I guess I'm after a mid-priced AV receiver. 800-1200 bucks. I'm a little concerned that the internal amps on these things won't be able to push my setup, which is still only 5.1 (well, 5.2 to get pedantic about it... each BP 2002 has a sub) but all 5 of the DefTechs are known to dive down into 4 and even 2 ohm territory occasionally.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
To give you an idea of how long it's been since I even thought about HT, I'm replacing a B&K Reference 50 which finally gave up the ghost. And to be frank, if Stargate Electronics hadn't gone out of business, I would probably get it refurbished. But it's gone now.

The amp I was using was the original Outlaw 750 5-channel amp. It is going to be re-purposed to drive the output of my Yamaha CR-2020 into my BP-2002 DefTech towers. They love the power and bi-amping the top makes those puppies sing. The vinyl rig is upgrading from the Yamaha NS-690ii speakers to the DefTechs. They aren't as accurate, but they are just more fun to listen to IMO. The L/R speakers will still be part of the HT system. I'm finagling a switch between the Yammy and whatever new receiver comes home.

SO... I guess I'm after a mid-priced AV receiver. 800-1200 bucks. I'm a little concerned that the internal amps on these things won't be able to push my setup, which is still only 5.1 (well, 5.2 to get pedantic about it... each BP 2002 has a sub) but all 5 of the DefTechs are known to dive down into 4 and even 2 ohm territory occasionally.
That statement alone tells me you may need to adjust your budget. I doubt anything in your price range will be stable into 2 ohms.

MannyE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Manny Elgarresta
Yeah, I may actually need to think about changing speakers at this point. The Outlaw can handle them, but without pre-outs, I think I could be looking at trouble. I thought of looking for older second hand Marantz processors but they seem to be thin on the ground, or rather, NOT on the ground at all.

I would hate to drop that money on something that will die on me.

Or, I get something and put one of those extended warranties on it. EDIT... also, they don't always live at 2 ohms... they are an 8 ohm speaker, but there were stories in the late 90's about them.

EDIT AGAIN..,. here is what Stereo Review said about them in 1996... the year I bought them and was the coolest kid on the block.

The BP 2002 is a relatively efficient
speaker. It has a rated sensitivity of 92 dB
sound-pressure level (SPL) at 1 meter
with a 2.83-volt random-noise input. The
nominal impedance is given as 8 ohms,
but we measured a minimum of 3 ohms
between 150 and 400 Hz, a smooth rise to
31 ohms at 20 Hz, and a broad peak of 8
ohms at 2 kHz, presumably related to the
crossover between the high-frequency
and midrange drivers. From 4 kHz to 20
kHz, the impedance remained between 6
and 8 ohms. Although a 3-ohm minimum
impedance might present a problem for
some amplifier/speaker combinations
(because it could require a high-current
output from the amp), the BP2002's high
efficiency allows it to deliver a high out-
put level with only moderate amplifier
power demands

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Why not just get a receiver that has preamp outputs and rig a line level switch to select between music and video sources. The Denon 36/3700 is maybe just barely in your budget.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've missed some details in the usage description...why not get a $600 AVR with pre-outs and that's that? You've got a 5-ch amp and only need 5.2 surround. The Denon 760H will do that for $600; $500 refurb if you can find it.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've missed some details in the usage description...why not get a $600 AVR with pre-outs and that's that? You've got a 5-ch amp and only need 5.2 surround. The Denon 760H will do that for $600; $500 refurb if you can find it.
Since when does any $600 receiver have preamp outputs? The 3xxx series is the lowest Denon with them, which is why I suggested it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My bad. I lose track of the fact that my $500 Onkyo TX-SR707 with pre-outs — that I just gave away for free — was bought in 2009. Even still, that’s still less than $700 adjusted for the mininal inflation we’ve had the past decade. It seems weird to me that in 2022 you can no longer buy an AVR with pre-out like you could in 2010.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
The last receiver I bought with preouts was a Yamaha RX-V995 around 1999-2000 and I paid right at $1k for it then. One would assume the price would have dropped by now, but I guess not.

MannyE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Manny Elgarresta
That is pretty much exactly what I said to my wife before I started looking. The last "real" HT audio equipment I bought was 20 years ago, so I was very surprised that nothing, even receivers at $900-$1000 had pre outs. I don't think that even the $1200 level has them.

So, I'm stuck with either finding something used, or going with that sketchy Chinese processor that's been making the rounds that has no US distributor. But I will never need 13 channels, so I'm averse to the (probable) complicated nature of it.

MannyE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Manny Elgarresta
Yeah, turns out they don't deliver the refurb stuff only store pickup. I guess the margins are razor thin and they only deliver new stuff. Whatever... big let down.

JimJasper

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Anyone have experience with World Wide Stereo? They have the Denon 3700 refurb right in my price range
A home theater group I'm connected w/ on Facebook likes accessories4less dot com:
* accessories4less dot com ....looks like the 3700 $1300
* worldwidestereo 3700 for $1599
* the 3700 on ebay (gulp!) is basically hitting retail price sales $1400
* crutchfields 3700 is at $1600 and out of stock
* amazon $1599

keep us updated with what you do, Manny...

MannyE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Manny Elgarresta
A home theater group I'm connected w/ on Facebook likes accessories4less dot com:
* accessories4less dot com ....looks like the 3700 $1300
* worldwidestereo 3700 for $1599
* the 3700 on ebay (gulp!) is basically hitting retail price sales $1400
* crutchfields 3700 is at $1600 and out of stock
* amazon $1599

keep us updated with what you do, Manny...
I'm getting you a cape because you're a HERO! I just ordered it from them. Pretty cool that they throw in an additional 2 years of warranty on top of the Denon 1 year for free. I'll update when it arrives.

JimJasper

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
I'm getting you a cape because you're a HERO! I just ordered it from them. Pretty cool that they throw in an additional 2 years of warranty on top of the Denon 1 year for free. I'll update when it arrives.
I have to do everything around here (lol) ....even if it gets to Karen level
Haircut Karen GIF by moodman

MannyE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Manny Elgarresta
UPDATE. The AVR is here. It arrived on Saturday so with the Super Bowl preparations and subsequent hangover, all I was able to do was to check the serial number to make sure it was above 60000. It was, so no worries about the Denon HDMI plug issue. Then I quickly hooked up the cassette player and turntable to it just to do a quick check and make sure those were at least working and they are.

It also came with all the accessories, and had I not known it was a refurbished unit, I would think it was brand new.

More to come this weekend with the setup.

JimJasper

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
UPDATE. The AVR is here. It arrived on Saturday so with the Super Bowl preparations and subsequent hangover, all I was able to do was to check the serial number to make sure it was above 60000. It was, so no worries about the Denon HDMI plug issue. Then I quickly hooked up the cassette player and turntable to it just to do a quick check and make sure those were at least working and they are.

It also came with all the accessories, and had I not known it was a refurbished unit, I would think it was brand new.

More to come this weekend with the setup.
Awesome, Manny.... sorry if I missed this but from whom did you order it? And can you let us know how the experience was?

Meme Think GIF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softwinsystems82
Recent bookmarks