What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Superman (2025) (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki
GLcxjaWWQAApUEA

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I like the look, but I do have a question. Why does every modern superhero have to wear that armor-like textured clothing? Superman doesn’t need armor. Can’t his shirt be plain blue?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Well, Corenswet sure looks like Superman.

The thing that made me roll my eyes is what appears to be a generic sky beam in the background, like we haven't seen those a million times before.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I like the look, but I do have a question. Why does every modern superhero have to wear that armor-like textured clothing? Superman doesn’t need armor. Can’t his shirt be plain blue?
The real world answer of course is that it looks cool with cinematic lighting. But in Superman's case, I don't think it's about protecting him. Rather, it needs to be durable enough to stand up to all of his heroics. The last thing he needs is some laser beam slicing his costume off and revealing his twig and berries to the world.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
The thing that made me roll my eyes is what appears to be a generic sky beam in the background, like we haven't seen those a million times before.
I was cracking up at what looks like mega world ending destruction going on in the background, while Supes is calmly taking the time to put on his boots.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
For whatever purpose, one of the skyscrapers looks like downtown Nashville’s famous “Batman Building”

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

That was one of my complaints about the Superman costume re-design in Man of Steel. And it happened with the Supergirl TV series, as well. Superman (and Supergirl) is a hero, not a warrior. I suspect that it's a nod to the more "grim & gritty" sensibility that comics fans fell in love with back in the mid-80s.

The real world answer of course is that it looks cool with cinematic lighting. But in Superman's case, I don't think it's about protecting him. Rather, it needs to be durable enough to stand up to all of his heroics. The last thing he needs is some laser beam slicing his costume off and revealing his twig and berries to the world.

It doesn't need to be "durable" in that sense. His costume was woven from Kryptonian cloth, which is itself (or should be) just as indestructible as the Kryptonian person wearing it.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
The issue isn't that the costume had "texture", it was that the texture presented gave it the look of armor. Specifically, Superman's costume in Man of Steel had the look of chain-mail. Even Captain America's WWII outfit looked like leather and heavy cloth, not armor.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The issue isn't that the costume had "texture", it was that the texture presented gave it the look of armor. Specifically, Superman's costume in Man of Steel had the look of chain-mail. Even Captain America's WWII outfit looked like leather and heavy cloth, not armor.
Captain America's costume didn't need to look "otherworldly," which is partly, I think, where some of the design decisions for Superman's costume both here and in Man of Steel are rooted. He is an alien, after all.

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
It doesn't need to be "durable" in that sense. His costume was woven from Kryptonian cloth, which is itself (or should be) just as indestructible as the Kryptonian person wearing it.
Interesting point. If a villain obtained that material, they could pose a challenge to Superman.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks