What's new

Surround Sound question (2 Viewers)

Goalie66

Auditioning
Real Name
Tommy
So I currently have upgraded to a new receiver. I had 5.1.2 and now will have a 7.1.2
My question is should I change to a 5.1.4 or stick with the 7.1.2
I do some gaming with my PS5 and I do enjoy action movies. I have a couch that is dead center in the room
as well as one against the back wall. I would guess my room is approximately 20x30

This is what I currently own

BenQ HT2550 4K Projector

Onkyo TX-NR7100

All Klipsch speakers

R-26FA main with Height speakers built in
RP-250C Center speaker
R-14S surround
R-41SA Rear surround ( they are also designed to be height speakers)

This is my 1st post so hello to everyone!
:)

Thank you!

Tommy

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
In that large of a room, I'd definitely go with a 7 channel surround first, rather than more Atmos speakers.

BTW, Atmos speakers are really supposed to be in or on the ceiling, overhead. They are different from regular "Height" speakers. Most people can't or don't want to go to the trouble of doing that. Just having them high on the wall isn't really going to produce the desired result. Reflecting speakers are a (not very effective) way to work around that.

Of course, we all have to work within limitations and do what we can to produce the best result we can. In my book, especially in a large room, it's more important to get the full, base surround, which means side and rear surround speakers, before increasing the overhead ones.

Last edited:

Goalie66

Auditioning
Real Name
Tommy
Thank you for the reply! I was thinking the same thing, maybe adding overhead speakers at a later time.

JimJasper

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Great post. I've curiously debated this issue as well. I would agree with John Rice, 7.1.2, mostly because the 2 rear surrounds would potentially have more discrete audio information, and help with envelopment. Potentially debatable, I know. And you already have heights going for you. Love to experience an a/b comparison (7.1.2 vs 5.1.4), as maybe I'd change my mind. Anyway, Tommy, keep us updated.
No Way Yes GIF by E!

1707839125287.png

Last edited:

Goalie66

Auditioning
Real Name
Tommy
I'll definitely keep you updated!

So a question for the future, if Indo decide to add ceiling speakers would anyone recommend not using the height part of my mains and installing 2 front ceiling speakers instead? Of course that would be 5.1.4. With 2 ceiling behind as well. I hope to set up my system this weekend 😁

Goalie66

Auditioning
Real Name
Tommy
I do
I'll definitely keep you updated!

So a question for the future, if Indo decide to add ceiling speakers would anyone recommend not using the height part of my mains and installing 2 front ceiling speakers instead? Of course that would be 5.1.4. With 2 ceiling behind as well. I hope to set up my system this weekend 😁
I do, Not Indo. 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks