What's new
World Wide Stereo

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Two years ago if you had asked any home theater enthusiast to name the top subwoofers on the market, you would likely have heard reference to the JL Audio Fathom F113, perhaps a Velodyne, and the venerable SVS SB and PB-13 Ultra, and for good reason. SVS’ former top of the line products were well known for providing punishing amounts of bass at a price far lower than JL’s Fathom F113. As of last year SVS has launched their new flagship, the 16-Ultra series, which includes the sealed SB16-Ultra and ported PB16-Ultra. The 16-Ultra series are a fundamental refresh of SVS’ most iconic product. This refresh brings with it a plethora of new technology and innovations in addition to some fantastic aesthetic changes. I was happy to have SVS offer to send over the sealed variant of the 16-Ultra series, the SB16-Ultra for a test drive in my system.
In terms of major updates to their product, SVS has released a brand-new custom designed 16” driver with this...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Great review as I'm looking to upgrading my subs to SVS brand in my main HT room. My room is not large at 16' X 14'. I currently have two Polk subs with the largest one with 2 12" woofers. Without a doubt, purchasing an SVS sub(s) can improve my bass performance.

Last edited:

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I'm still rocking my SVS PB12+/2 I purchased in '03 I think. I'm still very happy. I wish I could afford an Ultra, and I hope to one day.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Great write-up, Dave!

Those features on the sub itself (Bluetooth connectivity to an iPhone app?!?)?? Wow!

That would be great for me...seeing as how my PB-1000 is hidden under a corner table. Makes it tough when I want to make an adjustment on-the-fly.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Great write-up, Dave!

Those features on the sub itself (Bluetooth connectivity to an iPhone app?!?)?? Wow!

That would be great for me...seeing as how my PB-1000 is hidden under a corner table. Makes it tough when I want to make an adjustment on-the-fly.
It's worth noting just how much more power this one has than the other subs in their lineup. It will probably totally redefine what bass is for you. I know it's a lot of money - but I love encouraging folks to try it out.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I consider myself "encouraged!" :D

I always enjoy how every time I get a new piece of gear it makes things better.

For example, I was THRILLED when I upgraded to my old Sony SA WM-40 sub (which I purchased from another forum member to replace the sub in my original Jensen HT package I had purchased at Circuit City!). Then I was REALLY thrilled to step up from the Sony to the SVS PB-1000. I mean that was like night and day.

I would bet stepping up from the PB-1000 to an SB16 would be an even more significant difference. Not sure that it's something that will ever happen--but like I noted in another thread, I have learned NEVER to say "never." It is certainly the stuff of dreams.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I consider myself "encouraged!" :D

I always enjoy how every time I get a new piece of gear it makes things better.

For example, I was THRILLED when I upgraded to my old Sony SA WM-40 sub (which I purchased from another forum member to replace the sub in my original Jensen HT package I had purchased at Circuit City!). Then I was REALLY thrilled to step up from the Sony to the SVS PB-1000. I mean that was like night and day.

I would bet stepping up from the PB-1000 to an SB16 would be an even more significant difference. Not sure that it's something that will ever happen--but like I noted in another thread, I have learned NEVER to say "never." It is certainly the stuff of dreams.
I like to see Mike try to handle getting that big boy out of its box.;) Hell, I'm a big man and I don't want to see me trying to get that big boy out of its box.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
But it's got foams sleds to "easily settle it into position!" Dave says so!

Easy peasy!

I'm more worried about breaking my wallet's back than mine! :D

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I'm also a large guy, and I wouldn't want to try lifting that sub. It's a monster. Thankfully the packaging really is amazingly well thought out.

When Mike's next mad at his wallet, perhaps he can break its back while enjoying subsonic thrills in the process.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Terrific write up, Dave. After Dave finished up with the review sample of the SB-16 Ultra, he forwarded it here for inclusion in our $2000-$2500 thread.

Dave - Your descriptions are spot on in terms of not only the power, but the elegance of the newest sealed Ultra. It would not look out of place in a system with $40,000 Magico speakers.

It's hard to imagine purchasing a JL Audio Fathom 113 when one can buy TWO of the Ultras for about the same $$$$.

Again, terrific write up. You nailed it. :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm about to pull the trigger on buying PC13-Ultra. I thought about getting two PC-2000, but decided against it as I think one PC13-Ultra would be enough to satisfy my needs.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ I have a PC13-Ultra, it's a great sub. My room is similar in area to yours, 18x12.

I was (of course!) mulling over the new larger/better model, but I really really don't have the floor space for anything but another vertical sub. Dave gave a lot of IMO/E good advice, it is much easier to get a smooth LF response with two smaller subs than one large one. Physics. Four subs is even easier to get it, but harder on the brain and the shins and wallet.

A tip you didn't ask for...: use a "large" sub, like the PC13-Ultra as the "driver", to pressurize the room. Use a smaller sub to smooth out the frequency response. You can often find a good place for it (diagonally oposite the driver sub in the room is nice) that's somewhat out of the way. That's the best I can do here, too much stuff in too small a space.

Be sure to try out the PC13 in sealed mode, IIRC you have pretty good front end, it is quite good quality with music, nice and "fast"/responsive without a lot of bass overhang.

Last edited:

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I'm about to pull the trigger on buying PC13-Ultra. I thought about getting two PC-2000, but decided against it as I think one PC13-Ultra would be enough to satisfy my needs.

I have the PC-2000 and it has a crazy amount of bass been very happy with the purchase. I was just looking at their sale and was thinking about a second one. ;) I'm sure I wouldn't be able to get it past the wife though.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Congratulations!!

I have the PC-2000 and it has a crazy amount of bass been very happy with the purchase. I was just looking at their sale and was thinking about a second one. ;) I'm sure I wouldn't be able to get it past the wife though.

She should help you carry it in and put it wherever you want it! Oh. Wait a minute. I think I slipped away from the real world there for a minute! :D

TroyH4

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Troy
Question for you guys:

I've been saving up for upgrading my old subs, and thinking of getting a SB16 Ultra. I have just enough money to only get 1 of these big boys, but I know the importance of having duals. Should I go ahead now and buy my first SB16, AND THEN save my money to buy my 2nd one when I'm able?

What do yall think?

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Question for you guys:

I've been saving up for upgrading my old subs, and thinking of getting a SB16 Ultra. I have just enough money to only get 1 of these big boys, but I know the importance of having duals. Should I go ahead now and buy my first SB16, AND THEN save my money to buy my 2nd one when I'm able?

What do yall think?
What would you be replacing?

theJman

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Jim

The benefits derived from dual subwoofers are purely theoretical unless you have freedom to place them where they are complementary - from an audible perspective - and you are comfortable with tuning. Their 'importance' also assumes you have a deficiency that needs to be corrected which, depending upon the circumstances, may not be the case.

All too frequently you hear people espouse the notion that "duals are better!", but that's simply not the case. You can't just buy multiple subwoofers and plop them down wherever the decor suggests. That is likely to cause more problems than anything else. Your overall room size, number of listening positions, personal preferences, budget and placement options summed together will ultimately decide which approach is best for your particular situation. It may be that one very large/potent subwoofer would be more advantageous for you, but it may also prove true that multiples are the way to go. More information is required to make a determination.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
The benefits derived from dual subwoofers are purely theoretical unless you have freedom to place them where they are complementary - from an audible perspective - and you are comfortable with tuning. Their 'importance' also assumes you have a deficiency that needs to be corrected which, depending upon the circumstances, may not be the case.

All too frequently you hear people espouse the notion that "duals are better!", but that's simply not the case. You can't just buy multiple subwoofers and plop them down wherever the decor suggests. That is likely to cause more problems than anything else. Your overall room size, number of listening positions, personal preferences, budget and placement options summed together will ultimately decide which approach is best for your particular situation. It may be that one very large/potent subwoofer would be more advantageous for you, but it may also prove true that multiples are the way to go. More information is required to make a determination.
You also don't need your 2nd sub to be a perfect match. If decor and budget allow, it's certainly a good option, however it's not required. Most of the time, if you're in a room being used as a theater, you can find somewhere sonically advantageous to plant a second sub, and assuming you have Audyssey, you will see benefits in most rooms, provided you have some flexibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks