What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Agony and the Ecstasy March 4 (1 Viewer)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
This I will definitely buy. A superb film with two of my favorite actors lensed by one of my favorite cinematographers. If done properly, this BRD will look magnificent projected onto a ten foot screen. It'll sound pretty good too.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I don't care for this film (and was bored to tears as a 15-year-old seeing it in a theater), but I am glad Fox is releasing it, both because I know a lot of people in this forum want it, and because it is a furthering of Blu-ray catalog releases in general. I hope Fox offers the viewer's choice options again this coming year.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Dick said:
I don't care for this film (and was bored to tears as a 15-year-old seeing it in a theater), but I am glad Fox is releasing it, both because I know a lot of people in this forum want it, and because it is a furthering of Blu-ray catalog releases in general. I hope Fox offers the viewer's choice options again this coming year.
Same thing here. Anything Pope-y has me hitting the snooze button.

Not that I begrudge anybody else who likes this fare. For me...if it turns "nun" even, it better be like Ms. 45.

All said, having been an art major...I might buy this used and resell if after watching it once. As once is all I'd ever do.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I can see how some wouldn't like the film. It is rather bloated and could use some better pacing. But, I'm a fan of the stars, the music score by Alex North, the documentary intro (with an even greater score by Jerry Goldsmith) and the spectacle of the film. I guess it's one of those "sum of the parts is better than the whole" kind of movies for me. Sort of like a symphony with one movement I don't like, or an otherwise great album with a couple of clunker tracks.

Should look/sound great on Blu.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
schan1269 said:
Same thing here. Anything Pope-y has me hitting the snooze button.

Not that I begrudge anybody else who likes this fare. For me...if it turns "nun" even, it better be like Ms. 45.

All said, having been an art major...I might buy this used and resell if after watching it once. As once is all I'd ever do.

The movie is not at all "Pope-y" (whatever that means). Pope Julius was certainly an interesting character: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Julius_II

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Could be Rex Harrison's best role as a very worldly Pope Julius II....there's a scene where the Pope comes riding up on horseback with his girlfriend.

Plus you get to see Mrs. Sean Connery playing a very frustrated Countess Medici. Why the heck did Connery ever dump her?
I'll give you five, five.....would you bargain with your Pontiff?
The-Agony-and-the-Ecstasy-006.jpg

You know Michelangelo...you smell!

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Exciting news and a definite pre-order for me! What with 300 SPARTANS, KHARTOUM and this. it will certainly be a happy early spring for me. Just hope more like it are on the way. I remember it as a gorgeous film theatrically and it certainly should look wonderful in HD. Nice Alex North score as well.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I'm guessing this is meant to be a very loose Easter holiday release.

I've never seen it, but having Charlton Heston as a disheveled and eccentric artist? Sign me up!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperMarty88
Recent bookmarks