What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Ernest

Supporting Actor
Amazon.de (Germany) is taking DOMESTIC pre-orders only for a May 12th release of The Alamo. The release will include 2 discs with the theatrical version (162 minutes) on BluRay and the extended cut of 3 hours 22 minutes on DVD. Koch Film Shop is the distributor and their advertisement shows Region B. For those interested in purchasing the Alamo please be patient hopefully by the end of summer Amazom.de will sell this particular release to international buyers.

Attachments

• Alamo.jpg
    Alamo.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 109
Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Ha, old news. I don't expect to wait until the summer before I can order it. I'd think that just nearer the release date should do it, & that's still over a month away. I'm thinking that the full Roadshow version won't be a pretty sight (very soft for one thing), but it'll be interesting to see when they cut out for the general release version (which is the only version I've ever seen).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It probably is. However, I generally don't watch more than one cut of a film once I receive it. So, the longer cut would be my choice.
TBH, I think the longer cut will always be compromised video-wise. I just watched the theatrical cut's HD digital on Vudu and it looked pretty damn good. Frankly, I've been watching that cut of the film all of my life as I only watched the extended cut 2-3 times when I bought it on video tape and on TCM.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yeah, for me, the film starts proper when they all arrive at the Alamo, so I don't mind too much missing some the other stuff, but of course I'd double or triple dip if a real restoration appeared.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I will certainly pick this up when it becomes available to those of us in the states. I've never seen the longer cut and so will watch that but the preferred cut will probably continue to be the theatrical cut as that will (probably) always be the best looking version of the picture.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Many people think the theatrical cut is the better film.
I'm definitely not one of them the theatrical cut leaves subplots unfinished, omits key plot details and some key characterizations that the extended cut fixes. Sure there is some filler but also some essential footage. Ever since I got the extended cut on Laserdisc I can no longer watch the theatrical. But unfortunately it looks like I may have to if I ever want to see it in HD.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm definitely not one of them the theatrical cut leaves subplots unfinished, omits key plot details and some key characterizations that the extended cut fixes. Sure there is some filler but also some essential footage.
Either way, your preferred version of the film will most likely always be compromised video-wise.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I am somewhat ambivalent about the two versions. It was exciting to see the longer version when it came out on VHS and laser (I still have the laserdisc). However, The Alamo is a severely padded film even in its cut form. Ideally, I would like to create my own cut in which I would use some of the additional footage and jettison the rest (particularly the birthday party scene which I hope to never see again). I'd like to see the conclusion of the Emil Sand episode (otherwise why was he even in the film?).

These days I would rather see the cut version. IMO it's got the best parts of the movie.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Agreed since they cut out the resolution for Emil Sand in the theatrical cut they should have removed all his scenes in the theatrical and kept key scenes like where did they get the additional cannons, where did the additional volunteers come from that make up the proper number at the Alamo. Also the key scene where Bowie talks to his servant that sets up the scene where he frees him. The Birthday Party maybe corny and filler but adding the lyrics to the main theme song "Oh Lisa" has a great emotional payoff later in the film when Lisa says "listen Mommy they're playing my song". I like the Emil Sand subplot in the extended version when it is completed with the action scene. There are actually several action scenes missing in the theatrical.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I just watched the extended version on laserdisc the other day. I actually prefer it to the shorter cut. The documentary at the end of the laserdisc was very interesting as well. It'd be nice to have this on bluray or DVD even if the additional footage is compromised image wise.

I've been on a Texas Revolution and Alamo kick since we went to the Alamo a few weeks ago and visited a couple of the Missions as well. I watched Gone to Texas (1986) (originally titled Houston: Legend of Texas), Heroes of the Alamo (1937), The Alamo: 13 Days of Glory (1986), and have been reading Lone Star by T. R. Fehrenbach. I watched the Lost Command from Kino awhile back so didn't watch that one again. I've lived in Texas all my life and even live within 30 minutes of San Jacinto but was never hugely interested in the history (always been more interested in WW2 history) outside of a passing interest until recently. It's been a fascinating short journey so far.

Last edited:

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Timothy, when you went to the actual Alamo, did you see the IMAX film Alamo: the Price of Freedom? I always recommend that visitors see that film first before going to the Alamo. The IMAX is in walking distance of the Alamo (or at least was; not sure if it is running these days). I think Alamo: the Price of Freedom does a good job of telling the story in 45 minutes or so, and they made great use of the John Wayne set in Bracketville. the only well developed character is Travis who is well played by actor Casey Biggs. One thing I liked is that in the film, Travis takes off his ring and ties it to a string and puts it around the baby Dickinson (she was actually a baby) girl's neck. When you go to the Alamo afterward you can see the ring on display.

I also liked the 2004 film The Alamo. I think it and the Price of Freedom movie both do a better job of telling the actual story than any of the ones that came before them.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
No, I wish we had had more time but we were only in San Antonio for a day and a half and I had really wanted to go see the Missions. We went to Mission San Juan and to Mission Espada. Next time I'll try to fit in the IMAX film. There was a special exhibit at the Alamo to see Phil Collins' (yes, the former Genesis star) collection of memorabilia but I wasn't aware of it until we got there and the line was long. When you have two pre-teen girls in tow time is of the essence. haha.

Thank you for the recommendations.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Amazon.de (Germany) is taking DOMESTIC pre-orders only for a May 12th release of The Alamo. The release will include 2 discs with the theatrical version (162 minutes) on BluRay and the extended cut of 3 hours 22 minutes on DVD. Koch Film Shop is the distributor and their advertisement shows Region B. For those interested in purchasing the Alamo please be patient hopefully by the end of summer Amazom.de will sell this particular release to international buyers.

I'm guessing that international buyers will be able to order it from Amazon DE starting on May 13th, if not May 12th. For the past year or so, Europe-based Amazons have not accepted pre-orders for international shipping, but allowed them once the title was actually released.

I'll be curious to see if Diabolik DVD will have copies available.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I'm guessing that international buyers will be able to order it from Amazon DE starting on May 13th, if not May 12th. For the past year or so, Europe-based Amazons have not accepted pre-orders for international shipping, but allowed them once the title was actually released.

I'll be curious to see if Diabolik DVD will have copies available. Good point!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks