What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Alfred Hitchcock Filmography - A Chronological viewing (14 Viewers)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Actually, box-office wise, Marnie was a disaster, Torn Curtain with its two big stars was a considerable hit, Topaz was a big flop, and Frenzy was a hit.

I think Topaz is a snooze. Hitchcock touches seem tired (apart from that great visual flair with the dress), and unlike Torn Curtain where disparate elements eventually come together into a whole, Topaz still remains disjointed to me at the end. The three endings they tried also demonstrate a sad state of affairs trying to give the film some kind of satisfactory ending. The ending on the Blu-ray now is not the ending I saw in the theater.

Frenzy is an excellent, if more graphic, thriller in the Hitchcock mold of "the wrong man," and while I don't watch it often since it is kind of brutal, I always enjoy it when I do watch it.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Frenzy

My impression is that with each film, Hitchcock is trying to push the boundaries of how much he can get away with. This is his first R rated film and so I can see he wanted to make the murder sequence as visceral as he could.
Even after over 40 years, Rusk saying "Lovely" is still legitimately disturbing.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Great recaps Nelson!

I really like Family Plot!

I actually could pick the titles in the universal set that I would watch more than once too. Some of them were fine just once but I wouldn’t come back to them. Others I can’t get enough of.

I hope there are some UHd 4k releases next year. North by northwest, rear window, to catch a thief, vertigo, dial m for murder, family plot and the trouble with Harry, the birds, rope are probably at the top of my list.

what I found with many of his other titles is that I enjoyed seeing them but rarely wanted to watch them again.

it’s fun to see you going through them and I have enjoyed your reviews too.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I have found myself re-watching Shadow of a Doubt quite a bit this year. I don't know why (other than it's a great film), but It's really risen in my estimation this year.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Matt, I stand corrected. From what I was reading, my impression was films after Marnie did not do as well. Makes sense a Paul Newman and Julie Andrews would have attracted people to see Torn Curtain. I guess my first impression of Topaz was a better one then yours Matt. I agree it’s not going to be one of my favorites.

I’m glad to see Hitchcock had a hit with Frenzy.

I’ve got one more film to go to finish all the films. Maybe afterwards I can go back and revisit some titles like Strangers on a Train and Shadow of a Doubt. :)

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Osato, I’m glad to hear you are finding my posts of some value. I wasn’t sure if too many people are reading the thread, but it’s been fun for me to see each film finally. And I’ve appreciated seeing the comments from those who posted. And to learn a few things from you guys too. There will be some books I still need to collect and read.

One more film to go this weekend, Family Plot, to finish. And it will be another first time viewing as I’ve not seen this film yet either.

Thanks for reading!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Hey Osato, I’m glad to hear you are finding my posts of some value. I wasn’t sure if too many people are reading the thread, but it’s been fun for me to see each film finally. And I’ve appreciated seeing the comments from those who posted. And to learn a few things from you guys too. There will be some books I still need to collect and read.

One more film to go this weekend, Family Plot, to finish. And it will be another first time viewing as I’ve not seen this film yet either.

Thanks for reading!

I had never seen family plot before the universal set. I watched it several time though. I like it!!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I have loved this thread. It's fun to not only bask in the glow of someone else's experiencing movies you really like but also gives you a chance to share and swap stories, feelings, impressions, and opinions.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Matt, Osato,

I’ve enjoyed the input and stories and impressions you’ve shared too! And the others too! Thanks for coming along for the journey.

I was thinking that there’s a few extra films I can view to keep the thread going a bit. Such as Night Train to Munich with some connections to The Lady Vanishes. I have the Criterion blu ray. Plus as was recommended early on in the thread, there are two WW2 shorts that Hitchcock had directed; Bon Voyage and Adventure Malgache. I have both films on a DVD plus I didn’t realize it was included as an extra on the blu ray of Lifeboat. The version from the Hollywood Gold Series which is an import from Australia.

And I’m thinking of revisiting Murder! and Blackmail since new blu rays came out earlier this year. Plus I indulged and found a still sealed copy of The Most Dangerous Game on eBay.

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Mark, that’s true about Alfred Hitchcock Presents. I wasn’t going to go there, to invest in the series. Not yet anyway. I’ve seen a few episodes over the years and they have been good. It’s not out of the question and I might just do it. :)

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
Thanks Mark, that’s true about Alfred Hitchcock Presents. I wasn’t going to go there, to invest in the series. Not yet anyway. I’ve seen a few episodes over the years and they have been good. It’s not out of the question and I might just do it. :)

IMDB says Hitchcock directed seventeen (half-hour) ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS episodes during that seven year run and one (hour-long) THE ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR episode during that show's three year run. All the seasons are available from Amazon UK.

You'd need all seven seasons of AHP--- Season #/ # Episodes - S1/4, S2/3, S3/3, S4/2, S5/2, S6/2, and S7/1.

But only the first season of TAHH, since he directed just the fourth episode.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Family Plot.jpg
Family Plot
121 minutes 1.85:1 Color
Cast:
Karen Black - Fran
Bruce Dern - George Lumley
Barbara Harris - Blanche Tyler
William Devane - Arthur Adamson
Ed Lauter - Joe Maloney
Cathleen Nesbitt - Julia Rainbird
Katherine Helmond - Mrs Maloney
Warren J Kemmerling - Grandison
Edith Atwater - Mrs Clay
William Prince - Bishop
Nicholas Colasanto - Constantine
Marge Redmond - Vera Hannagan
John Lehne - Andy Bush
Alexander Lockwood - Parson
Charles Tyner - Wheeler
Based on the novel “The Rainbird Pattern” by Victor Canning
Written by: Ernest Lehman
Score by: John Williams
Directed by: Alfred Hitchcock
Universal Studios
Viewed 12/14/19

Alfred Hitchcock The Masterpiece Collection Blu Ray box set, Universal, 2012

Synopsis

Two couples with diverging backgrounds become entangled with each other.

Blanche is a spiritualist who is asked to locate an heir for a client, Julia Rainbird. Blanche enlists her taxi driver boyfriend George Lumley help locate the heir, Julia’s nephew, Edward Shoebridge upon which Julia will pay Blanche a $10,000 reward. Another couple, Arthur Adamson is a legitimate jewel dealer and his girlfriend Fran are thieves and have been kidnapping wealthy and famous people who they return for a ransom of rare diamonds. These two couples become involved with each other with dangerous results.

Impressions

Hey guys, back after a two week hiatus. equally had no real idea of the plot or cast.

I had a little difficult time at first trying to figure out what the tone of the film is. Blanche was a fraud and George seemed like a bit of a scam artist. But both seemed more or less harmless and trying to get a big payoff. At the same time, they are a comical pair. But in contrast, Arthur and Fran are a pretty lethal pair. In particular, Arthur was in the same mold as many of the more urban psychopaths in earlier Hitchcock films. Fran at least has a conscience. So the film seemed to go between two tones, comedy and thriller.

As the plot unfolds George and Blanche get closer to finding the missing heir and cross paths with Fran and Arthur. This was too close for Arthur and led to a funny yet, really suspenseful car ride for Blanche and George. Ultimately, the film builds to a very suspenseful climax between Arthur and Blanche and I didn’t see how it would end and it was a very satisfying end!

At first I wasn’t sure what to make of the very last shot with Blanche, but I think it’s up you to decide. I thought she was telegraphing a knowing look. ( trying not to give it away for those who’ve not seen it. )

I think I ended up really liking the film after thinking about it. The ramp up to the end was really well done. There’s several things going on that I’m sure I missed so I think I’d need to see it again. I’m also glad to see this film return to an earlier style rather then the style of Frenzy and Topaz. It was good fun and suspense.

The shots of Karen Black in the blonde wig and black outfit and dark glasses and hat is an extremely iconic image. I didn’t know what to make of the image before seeing the film. So it was interesting to learn what Black’s character is really like as the film unfolds. Devane was right up there with Robert Walker and Joseph Cotton and James Mason in their evil ruthlessness. My exposure to Barbara Harris was only from her appearance in Peggy Sue Got Married. So I had not seen her other work. I thought she was really good in the film. She had a great quirkinesses and even when she was in big trouble, she managed to keep her wits. Bruce Dern was good too as George. More solid down to earth contrasting to Blanche.

I was surprised to learn that Roy Thinnes was originally to play Arthur and had started work and filmed several sequences. Then was fired and William Devane was hired, presumably because he was Hitchcock’s first choice but wasn’t available at the start of filming. Just from seeing Devine’s work, I think he was really good as Arthur. Though I could not help think of the connection between Thinnes and Karen Black as they worked together briefly on Airport 1975.

By the way, it was interesting to note that this is the only Hitchcock film scored by John Williams. I wouldn't say it was memorable from just one viewing. But it was certainly playful as was the intent I'm sure.

And Edith Head was still at it doing the costume design.

Well, that’s it! I started this effort to see every Hitchcock film in October 2018. It’s now December 2019 and I managed to see each of his theatrical films. It’s hard to believe I made it! But there is still more to see. I plan to follow up with the two short World War Two films he made and see some tangential films I mentioned in earlier posts. Plus I’d like to re-view some titles just out on new blu rays of his earlier English made films. I was also surprised to see Secret Agent is available on Amazon Prime and from the stills appears it looks much better quality then the source of the DVD I saw. So it would be interesting to find better versions of some titles. Then there’s the Alfred Hitchcock Presents TV series. I was not sure about trying to view the entire series. I’d seen several episodes when aired on TV over the years. I see it’s not too much money for the series set on DVD on Amazon so it’s possible I’ll add this soon.

Good Evening.

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
About twenty years, all seventeen half-hour AH-directed episodes from Alfred Hitchcock Presents were released over four separate DVD volumes. I happen to have all four DVDs.

Since I also have all 7 seasons of Alfred Hitchcock Presents, I'm willing to send you the four DVDs if you are interested.

You might also be interested in a book titled The Alfred Hitchcock Presents Companion by Martin Grams, Jr. and Patrik Wikstrom. I'd be willing to lend my copy for the time it will take you to do your research.

Attachments

• V1.jpg
    V1.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 258
  • V2.png
    V2.png
    59.6 KB · Views: 256
  • V3.png
    V3.png
    91.3 KB · Views: 257
  • V4.png
    V4.png
    74 KB · Views: 258
  • hitchcockcover.jpg
    hitchcockcover.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 244

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
View attachment 66137
Family Plot
121 minutes 1.85:1 Color
Cast:
Karen Black - Fran
Bruce Dern - George Lumley
Barbara Harris - Blanche Tyler
William Devane - Arthur Adamson
Ed Lauter - Joe Maloney
Cathleen Nesbitt - Julia Rainbird
Katherine Helmond - Mrs Maloney
Warren J Kemmerling - Grandison
Edith Atwater - Mrs Clay
William Prince - Bishop
Nicholas Colasanto - Constantine
Marge Redmond - Vera Hannagan
John Lehne - Andy Bush
Alexander Lockwood - Parson
Charles Tyner - Wheeler
Based on the novel “The Rainbird Pattern” by Victor Canning
Written by: Ernest Lehman
Score by: John Williams
Directed by: Alfred Hitchcock
Universal Studios
Viewed 12/14/19

Alfred Hitchcock The Masterpiece Collection Blu Ray box set, Universal, 2012

Synopsis

Two couples with diverging backgrounds become entangled with each other.

Blanche is a spiritualist who is asked to locate an heir for a client, Julia Rainbird. Blanche enlists her taxi driver boyfriend George Lumley help locate the heir, Julia’s nephew, Edward Shoebridge upon which Julia will pay Blanche a $10,000 reward. Another couple, Arthur Adamson is a legitimate jewel dealer and his girlfriend Fran are thieves and have been kidnapping wealthy and famous people who they return for a ransom of rare diamonds. These two couples become involved with each other with dangerous results.

Impressions

Hey guys, back after a two week hiatus. equally had no real idea of the plot or cast.

I had a little difficult time at first trying to figure out what the tone of the film is. Blanche was a fraud and George seemed like a bit of a scam artist. But both seemed more or less harmless and trying to get a big payoff. At the same time, they are a comical pair. But in contrast, Arthur and Fran are a pretty lethal pair. In particular, Arthur was in the same mold as many of the more urban psychopaths in earlier Hitchcock films. Fran at least has a conscience. So the film seemed to go between two tones, comedy and thriller.

As the plot unfolds George and Blanche get closer to finding the missing heir and cross paths with Fran and Arthur. This was too close for Arthur and led to a funny yet, really suspenseful car ride for Blanche and George. Ultimately, the film builds to a very suspenseful climax between Arthur and Blanche and I didn’t see how it would end and it was a very satisfying end!

At first I wasn’t sure what to make of the very last shot with Blanche, but I think it’s up you to decide. I thought she was telegraphing a knowing look. ( trying not to give it away for those who’ve not seen it. )

I think I ended up really liking the film after thinking about it. The ramp up to the end was really well done. There’s several things going on that I’m sure I missed so I think I’d need to see it again. I’m also glad to see this film return to an earlier style rather then the style of Frenzy and Topaz. It was good fun and suspense.

The shots of Karen Black in the blonde wig and black outfit and dark glasses and hat is an extremely iconic image. I didn’t know what to make of the image before seeing the film. So it was interesting to learn what Black’s character is really like as the film unfolds. Devane was right up there with Robert Walker and Joseph Cotton and James Mason in their evil ruthlessness. My exposure to Barbara Harris was only from her appearance in Peggy Sue Got Married. So I had not seen her other work. I thought she was really good in the film. She had a great quirkinesses and even when she was in big trouble, she managed to keep her wits. Bruce Dern was good too as George. More solid down to earth contrasting to Blanche.

I was surprised to learn that Roy Thinnes was originally to play Arthur and had started work and filmed several sequences. Then was fired and William Devane was hired, presumably because he was Hitchcock’s first choice but wasn’t available at the start of filming. Just from seeing Devine’s work, I think he was really good as Arthur. Though I could not help think of the connection between Thinnes and Karen Black as they worked together briefly on Airport 1975.

By the way, it was interesting to note that this is the only Hitchcock film scored by John Williams. I wouldn't say it was memorable from just one viewing. But it was certainly playful as was the intent I'm sure.

And Edith Head was still at it doing the costume design.

Well, that’s it! I started this effort to see every Hitchcock film in October 2018. It’s now December 2019 and I managed to see each of his theatrical films. It’s hard to believe I made it! But there is still more to see. I plan to follow up with the two short World War Two films he made and see some tangential films I mentioned in earlier posts. Plus I’d like to re-view some titles just out on new blu rays of his earlier English made films. I was also surprised to see Secret Agent is available on Amazon Prime and from the stills appears it looks much better quality then the source of the DVD I saw. So it would be interesting to find better versions of some titles. Then there’s the Alfred Hitchcock Presents TV series. I was not sure about trying to view the entire series. I’d seen several episodes when aired on TV over the years. I see it’s not too much money for the series set on DVD on Amazon so it’s possible I’ll add this soon.

Good Evening.

I really liked this one a lot. I think going into it not knowing much about it helped. I like the whole heist angle too.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Even though Black and Devane are a lethal duo, this film, as you said, has a more playful tone in spite of some suspenseful sequences. It's perfectly fine entertainment, but I wish Hitchcock could have gone out with something more substantial.

I think the Blu-ray quality is very digital looking and does not do the film justice.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Mark-

That’s a very nice offer, thanks. I think I wouldn’t mind owning the entire series. There’s a lot of actors I’d like to see in a lot of the episodes as well as the episodes that Hitchcock directed. The book looks interesting too!

But it’s a little confusing as you said, there’s 7 seasons. But there is a set that has 5 seasons, then I see a set that has all 7 that looks like an import. Maybe one needs to buy the 5 season set and add the last two?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Osato, the film is a heist story too, you’re right. It was a fun discovery as you said I knew nothing about it, so it was enjoyable to see it. I actually watched it over two weekends as I tried to watch it last weekend and I was too tired. So I watched the first 45 minutes and stopped. This week I was able to re-view most of the first half and then finish the film.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Matt-

You know, I sort of had a similar feeling that it wasn’t one of his stronger films to go out with. He was working on another as you know before he decided to retire. But we have them, the greats from the 40’s and 50’s. I don’t think he was slumming on Family Plot. He covered a lot over his career, suspense, romance, murder, heist, comedy, betrayal and the psychological studies. I don’t know how we’d feel had Vertigo been his last film. It would have been a great one to go out with assuming we’d have all the films that came after too.

Family Plot seemed to cover all the genres he liked to cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks