What's new

The Breadwinner (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Yeah, the abuse was clear to me. I don't think 11 is categorically too young to have such feelings, although certainly they might not know what they are or be able to put it together in their own minds.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Per Box Office Mojo, The Breadwinner came in #43 at the box office this weekend from 43 theaters, but did jump 39% from last weekend. It seems bizarrely coincidental that the theater count and box office ranking are the same.

Total so far is $105,276 as of December 3 (yesterday.)

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=thebreadwinner.htm

This is way lower than this film deserves, but I'm not sure if it will be expanding any further. The website does indicate that there will be a few new openings this upcoming weekend, but if several locations that had it this week drop it, that still may result in a net screen count loss.

Perhaps it can re-expand in late January after the Oscar nominations are announced. I am quite certain it will be nominated for Animated Feature.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm surprised to see Universal listed as the releasing studio. Gkids previously had a distribution deal with them, but has been using Shout! Factory to distribute the new Studio Gibli releases, so I thought they would all end up going through Shout. Apparently not.

The other thing I hate about when Universal distributes a disc for Gkids or Open Road Films, or any other indie studio for which they happen to have a disc distribution deal, is that it's not enough for them to put their logo on the case. They've got to put the full animated Universal logo on the front of the film itself, even though they had nothing to do with its production. This just drives me absolutely nuts, and has on multiple occasions confused friends into thinking that Universal produced these films, which is certainly not the case at all. It makes Gkids look like some financing company rather than the distributor of the film. This, frankly, is why I was so glad to see the new Gibli releases go out under Shout because they didn't add their logo to film playback.

So, if it is indeed Universal releasing this one, buckle up for their logo at the top, inappropriately.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
My Entire High School SInking Into the Sea -- another Gkids-distributed title -- was just announced for Blu-ray release on January 23 via Shout! Factory.

So, The Breadwinner may or may not be Universal. It's possible that it is going through Shout! and Amazon is just wrong, or whoever put up the page assumed it would be Universal because they've put out other Gkids titles in the past.

Or, it absolutely could still be Universal.

We'll have to see when the press release is issued which studio does that. I wouldn't expect it for a while because this film is still in the midst of its theatrical release, however limited that may be.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The Breadwinner is being released today to digital retailers ahead of its Blu-ray release in two weeks.

But -- surprise! -- it was also added to Netflix streaming today, in the U.S. at least, so those of you who are subscribers can watch it now for free.

I was surprised to see it pop up there so early, and wonder if the early Netflix drop might hinder disc sales. I'm happy to keep my standing pre-order of the disc from Amazon (only $19.96, which I think is very fair, especially for a film that, sadly, didn't even cross $1 million at the box office.) In addition to just wanting to own the film instead of temporarily streaming it, the Blu-ray will have audio commentary and a making-of featurette as seen here. Since I loved the film, I will go through all of that stuff:

breadwinner blu.jpg
Breadwinner back box.jpg

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
The Breadwinner is being released today to digital retailers ahead of its Blu-ray release in two weeks.

But -- surprise! -- it was also added to Netflix streaming today, in the U.S. at least, so those of you who are subscribers can watch it now for free.

I was surprised to see it pop up there so early, and wonder if the early Netflix drop might hinder disc sales. I'm happy to keep my standing pre-order of the disc from Amazon (only $19.96, which I think is very fair, especially for a film that, sadly, didn't even cross $1 million at the box office.) In addition to just wanting to own the film instead of temporarily streaming it, the Blu-ray will have audio commentary and a making-of featurette as seen here. Since I loved the film, I will go through all of that stuff:

View attachment 44242 View attachment 44243

Jake:

I have this pre-ordered from Amazon as well.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I haven't yet seen The Breadwinner, unfortunately missing it in the theater. But it's now available to watch on Netflix.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softwinsystems82
Recent bookmarks