What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Duelists 1977 on Bluray (1 Viewer)

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
What the.. Why so expensive on Amazon, et al??

Along with Last of the Mohicans, Rob Roy, and Master and Commander, this is one of my favourite 18/19th century dramas.

Last edited:

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
I haven’t investigated, but it must be out of print. I bought my copy back when it was first released. Maybe this is good news, though. Ridley’s work is getting fair representation on UHD, so maybe there’s a new mastering and release in the works.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I haven’t investigated, but it must be out of print. I bought my copy back when it was first released. Maybe this is good news, though. Ridley’s work is getting fair representation on UHD, so maybe there’s a new mastering and release in the works.

DUELLISTS has been out of print since shortly after it was released in a one-shot licensing deal by Paramount for Shout! Factory. I imagine there were relatively copies pressed and sold, which is why the high eBay prices. I wouldn't trust the Spanish import unless you have seen decent reviews, even though it is Region-B locked, suggesting it's legit.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If you have access to any of the digital storefronts like iTunes or Vudu, you can rent the exact same transfer for about $4 or buy it for $15. Not the same as owning a physical disc but significantly cheaper in this instance.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Paramount title that somehow Shout got the rights to.

It's been OOP since late 2016. The only other worldwide release is almost certainly a Spanish Bootleg (Resen which is 99% pirated).

There was a least some hints a year or two ago that Filmstruck has some interest in it and possibly Criterion, but then Filmstruck went away so nobody seems to know much of anything.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Given that Paramount seems to be loosening its grip on catalogue titles, I wouldn't be surprised if we see this again at some point in the future.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Given that Paramount seems to be loosening its grip on catalogue titles, I wouldn't be surprised if we see this again at some point in the future.

I'm not sure that the release of ADDAMS FAMILY VALUES or the couple of Paramount titles Scream Factory has been able to license quite means that the company is "loosening its grip" on their back catalog. I've heard rumors that the studio has some new faces in its home entertainment division, but I am skeptical this will result in any big, enduring change in policy after many, many years of having stonewalled on their many in-demand titles.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Current iTunes price:
Duellists.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks