What's new

THE FAMILY/VIOLENT CITY--early Bronson-not on Blu Ray (1 Viewer)

deepscan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JP
I remember as a kid going to the local drive in and seeing an early Charles Bronson movie called THE FAMILY...back when it went into wide release in 1972 I did not know it had undergone extensive editing and a title change ( when first released overseas it was called CITTA VIOLENTA--or VIOLENT CITY). A few short years later it was on CBS and then in syndication. The print I saw at the drive in and on CBS carried a United Artists logo at the beginning (through research over the years I learned that UA had taken over wide distribution after it was initially released independently by International Co-Productions).

Ben Barry and Associates then handled initial TV distribution in the late 1970s (I saw that crude 16mm print in syndication too). Then, in the '80s I saw a Paramount logo at the head of the film when I saw that on one of the cable networks.

Universal Studios' French division did finance the film from the beginning.

Then, of course, Blue Underground released a DVD of the uncut version, which I have never seen.

Last year one of the American Cinematheque theatres in L.A. screened a rare 35mm print of the domestic cut of the film. There was no distributor credited. Did they manage to get one from MGM (UA's current corporate parent)?

Which brings us to why there hasn't been a Blu Ray release of this. Could it be that the rights are tangled at this point, with so many distributors involved in the decades since this was made?

I hope someone, especially the experts here at this forum, can explain.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I don't know this film and cannot comment, but a 1972 film is not early Charles Bronson. Bronson appeared on the scene in the 1950s.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softwinsystems82
Recent bookmarks