What's new

The Film Movement - New DVD Subscription Service (1 Viewer)

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
I just read about The Film Movement at DVDFile. According to their website, they've been up and running since January, but this is the first I've heard of them.

The concept is that they ship subscribers a DVD each month with an independent and/or foreign film and a short subject. The films are only available through subscription. From the four films they've released, it seems that these are all films from the festival circuit that, although well reviewed and awarded, failed to get a theatrical distribution deal.

As I love independent film and can never have enough DVDs, I ordered a one year subscription and look forward to the first DVD. I was wondering if anyone here has already subscribed and has received a DVD. If so, any comments on the quality of the DVD (transfer, mastering, etc.)

As a subscriber to the non-defunct Short, Film Fest, and SubstanceTV DVDs, I know that these concepts are hard to catch on. Maybe DVD has matured to the point that these things are now possible.

-greg

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
No way. I got burned on that Total Movie thing. Besides, $189/yr is way too much money.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Keep in ming that money purchases 12 movies/year. It's not even $16/each.
$16 for a DVD you have never heard of is a bit too expensive. That is the price of most new releases of major "A" titles. If they are trying to make this work (and it sounds like an interesting idea), it would have to be very affordable, in the $5 a disc range.

Too many of these things have failed. Film Fest was a great idea, but delay after delay after delay drove them out of businss.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Film Fest may be the exception. A regular schedule sure helps. I still think Substance TV and Film Fest were too cheap for them to make any money. Especially SubTV. $16 may sound high but you are getting a full length film, at least it sounded like that, plus a couple of shorts per month. I expect it to be more expensive than based on its limited audience.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I checked out the site. What is surprising is that the short on the I think it was February disc, MORE, has been on both FILM FEST and the SHORT CINEMA DVDs. It is a great short, but has been around a while. Not quite the DVD premiere they are saying ("See the films the same time as they are playing in theatres")

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
"More" is on one of the discs? I might buy that one, how's the feature on it (El Bola)? "More" is absolutely brilliant!

Richard Gilmore

Stunt Coordinator
I opted for the month at a time commitment. After three months I can quit or change to the yearly sub to save money. I joined last month but haven't got a film yet. The reason I joined was to get something fresh,and new with a different perspective. I guess I could just get something off of Netflix but these films are going to be pretty exclusive so it's the only way to see them short of travelling to a film festival.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bipbop13
Recent bookmarks