What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Flash - season 6 (The CW) (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The person I feel bad for is Natalie Dreyfuss. She was phenomenal as Sue, didn't do anything wrong, but will probably be dropped from the show if they write Ralph out rather than recast.

He was hired during Andrew Kreisberg's tenure as showrunner. Kreisberg is a misogynist himself who was fired after nineteen different people filed sexual harassment claims against him. So it makes sense that he didn't have the same problem with Sawyer's tweets that the show's current leadership did.

You can even tell the difference in Ralph's characterization after Kreisberg was fired, with the sleazier and more sexist sides of the character being dropped.

There are three key differences between this situation and the James Gunn situation:
  1. James Gunn had already apologized for his offensive online postings and worked to prove that he had changed at the time that Disney fired him. By contrast, Hartley Sawyer didn't address his offensive online postings until the tweets resurfaced last week. And while Gunn's pedophilia humor was arguably more disturbing than Sawyer's tweets, Sawyer was racist and sexist -- failings that each have a sizable movement behind eradicating. To defend a racist right now especially, with everything that's going on in the country, would not go over well at all, and neither The CW nor Warner Bros. Television is going to take the heat for a relatively unknown actor in a supporting role.

2. James Gunn had the steadfast support of his cast and, who even publicly signed a letter of support. By contrast, showrunner Eric Wallace first name on the call sheet Grant Gustin publicly supported Sawyer's firing.

3. James Gunn is considered indispensable to the Guardians of the Galaxy franchise. He's the writer and director of both of the Guardians movies made to date, which have grossed over a billion and a half dollars collectively. He's consulted on the other live action projects where the Guardians have appeared. By contrast, the three highest rated seasons of the "The Flash" were the ones before Ralph Dibney was introduced. They know they can make the show without him because they've already done it.

Different offenses. Being drunk and disorderly isn't the PR nightmare that being a racist misogynist is, and it was a one time isolated incident. If it became a pattern, like Sawyer's tweets were, the calculus would likely change significantly.

Good analysis of the situation.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
One thing I haven't heard is how this whole thing started. Are there people looking back on years of posts on the social media accounts of every actor who has appeared on TV or a movie looking for something objectionable ? Did Hartley Sawyer say something recently causing someone to check his social media accounts so that they could call him out for being a hypocrite?

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
One thing I haven't heard is how this whole thing started. Are there people looking back on years of posts on the social media accounts of every actor who has appeared on TV or a movie looking for something objectionable ? Did Hartley Sawyer say something recently causing someone to check his social media accounts so that they could call him out for being a hypocrite?

It is a complete mystery to me who these trolls are that go searching for ill-written tweets from years ago. Everything I have read so far indicates that this was completely out of the blue. Could be some disenchanted fan wanted to make trouble and was searching the past-histories of all the Flash actors. No idea.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I'm not a fan of the cancel culture, especially when it is based on old statements that have been dug up and not current statements or actions, but I don't care to get into a discussion about it here. It is what it is.

As for the show, just recast and move ahead. Recasting isn't the end of the world. Adults can handle it. Just continue the story you were planing on telling. I liked him in the role, but they could bring in a new actor and everything would be fine.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Twitter user themirrorin6x17 posted a thread of screenshots of his offensive tweets back on May 30th. Worth noting that several sites of a certain ideological persuasion posted about it and got their followers to overwhelm her Twitter account with insults and threats of death and sexual assault, to the point where she had to make her account private. So she's definitely paid a price for outing Sawyer's misdeeds.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Twitter user themirrorin6x17 posted a thread of screenshots of his offensive tweets back on May 30th. Worth noting that several sites of a certain ideological persuasion posted about it and got their followers to overwhelm her Twitter account with insults and threats of death and sexual assault, to the point where she had to make her account private. So she's definitely paid a price for outing Sawyer's misdeeds.
She might have posted the screenshots after being offended, but did she go looking for them? That is the bigger question.

Regarding themirrorin6x17 - that identity would seem to have been assumed after episode 17 at the end of April. So, losing that one anonymous account is no great loss.

Last edited:

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
As for the show, just recast and move ahead. Recasting isn't the end of the world. Adults can handle it. Just continue the story you were planing on telling. I liked him in the role, but they could bring in a new actor and everything would be fine.

I honestly think that this is the only real way to go. The Ralph/Sue story was in full swing and Ralph no doubt would have a huge hand in clearing Sue of the falsified charges. To just dump it, write it off or make Ralph "change his face" would be an awkward and unnecessary step. Just recast and ignore it. Sawyer looks like Dick York, so recast with a guy who looks like Dick Sargent to hammer the point home.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
As most of episode 20 was already filmed with Hartley Sawyer in the episode, they will have to cut him out and reshoot it. It would be relatively easy to cut him out if his scenes are all with Sue and not the rest of the cast. More difficult or more would have to be reshot if he is with the rest of the cast especially if there is a big fight scene. Based on what was shown in the finale it would be fairly easy to write him out. Just have someone mention Ralph and Sue have gone into hiding until they can clear Sue's name. Then the show can decide what they want to do with Ralph later. This is pretty much the same excuse they gave when Ralph was missing from so many episodes this season ie He is busy chasing down a lead about Sue. Julian Albert was written out at the beginning of Season 3 by just mentioning that he left. He was never mentioned again. Ralph is more difficult because he is in the middle of a story. If they had a chance to finish Season 6, Ralph probably would have been written out the same way Julian was.

Last edited:

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Sure, I can see them doing that as a delaying tactic. Have Sue and Ralph go into hiding for half the new season to give them time to saparate a replacement actor from Sawyer. Dropping him altogether in the middle of the arc would actually be unfair to the audience. Particularly since Ralph had become my favorie charcter and one of the few reasons I was still sufferig through the series.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Hartley Sawyer (Ralph) seems to have been erased from the cover of upcoming blu ray of Season 6 of The Flash.

1593025979981.png

Original cover

1593026036354.png

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The US border with Canada is closed to non essential travel until the end of August and maybe more. I assume actors from the US would have to self quarantine for 2 weeks once in Canada. That would mean production could not resume for the Arrowverse Canadian filmed shows until mid September at the earliest.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The US border with Canada is closed to non essential travel until the end of August and maybe more. I assume actors from the US would have to self quarantine for 2 weeks once in Canada. That would mean production could not resume for the Arrowverse Canadian filmed shows until mid September at the earliest.

Unless there are exceptions. There was a story recently that actors and crew from the US would be allowed to travel to European countries (which also have closed borders to Americans) to film projects.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
DC's 24 hour August 22 online FanDome's The Flash panel has been announced. I believe times are Pacific.

The Flash
10AM (Encore at 1AM)
Hall of Heroes
Executive producer Eric Wallace joins cast members Grant Gustin, Candice Patton, Danielle Panabaker, Carlos Valdes, Danielle Nicolet, Kayla Compton and Brandon McKnight to discuss all things Flash with Entertainment Weekly’s Chancellor Agard. Team Flash will break down both parts of season six and look ahead at what is to come with an exclusive trailer for season seven. Fans will also get a look at the exclusive black-and-white noir episode “Kiss Kiss Breach Breach” (40 min)

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Getting closer to restarting production in Vancouver , However Warner Bros isn't mentioned in article.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks