What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Scott, I’m actually really enjoying the original theme music, but I get your nostalgia for the later theme!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I still remember the confusion I felt when the original opening was changed to "Meet the Flintstones" (I watched this show during its original prime time network airings). I loved the original open and that was the first time I'd experienced a TV show having a different theme song than the previous season. It took me years to accept that revised open and I still missed it. To this day, the original is still my favorite, though I've come to accept its replacement.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I watched The Swimming Pool last night on my larger plasma display. It’s just amazing how good these look!

Since I feel like the later episodes are more ingrained in my memory, like what Howie is saying above about the theme music, I really am finding these first season episodes much more of a revelation to me. Though I’ve seen them before, it’s like with fresh eyes. At this stage of the series, the animation is still developing. The characters while familiar, are not as rigidly drawn to perfection. There’s some variations and I think it’s really cool to see it. There’s inconsistency.

It keeps reminding me of something I think I saw about the original concept art for how they were developing the characters in a style that I can only characterize as more wild. Maybe like the counter culture scene in 1959. There’s a rawness to the art that’s fresh compared to the later versions of The Flintstones.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Damn that's subtle. I missed it first time around

3A6F9E9F-9AA2-4714-B883-089C9BE72B50.jpeg
39C67B57-3299-47C1-B5AE-248FB76D0D1B.jpeg

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I’m getting the impression this Flintstones remaster might have been a very large effort to reassemble film elements to create a new master similarly to how Star Trek The Next Generation was done for HD. And the earlier DVD sets were mastered from earlier existing elements as it was edited for broadcast.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I’m getting the impression this Flintstones remaster might have been a very large effort to reassemble film elements to create a new master similarly to how Star Trek The Next Generation was done for HD. And the earlier DVD sets were mastered from earlier existing elements as it was edited for broadcast.
This could account for how a lot of the mistakes may have happened on the Blu-ray release in using source elements that differ from the old DVD releases. It's too bad there are so many of them!

CHEERS! :)

An Elvis Fan

Agent
Real Name
Thomas Widener
John,
Just a friendly word of caution. If you are referring to the Amazon post(s) dated back in February, they were up when I ordered my set, also in February, and I still got the defected disk. I noticed that Amazon has gone down in price and that's always a good thing. If you do decide to pull the trigger and get a set with the defective disk, at least the replacement program is still in place. Anyway, I hope you'll enjoy this set when you do decide to order it! I'll keep my fingers crossed that you'll get a corrected set!

An Elvis Fan

Agent
Real Name
Thomas Widener
John,
A P.S. to my post,
I went back on Amazon for a second look and it looks like Amazon is not selling this directly outside of third party sellers. It might, with an emphasis on the word might, be that when Amazon starts selling this themselves again, it will be a new batch with the corrected disks.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I Decided to purchase it from Warner directly hoping to avoid the disc issue entirely . I just did so a few minutes ago.. I Cant Wait to see it .. I have the original DVD Series Set in the TV Box. I enjoyed it. That said, its bulky and I am always afraid I am going to drop it getting it off the Shelf since I live in a small place

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
So I got it and I am enjoying it. My only question is why did they cram 17 episodes per disc?
Apparently, it has to do with the type of animation on THE FLINTSTONES not really needing a ton of bitrate space, in comparison with other shows that contain a lot more detail.

For a little added perspective, the 1966-68 BATMAN live action TV series has up to 15 Episodes per Blu-ray disc, and that set was highly acclaimed for its high PQ quality!

CHEERS! :)

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I Watched the Bounus Features on the first disc .. I like how Hanna and Barbara introduce Fred to tell us How to Draw Fred Flinstone in 6 Steps. I am going to have to try that

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
"Grandma Dynamite" has a quick flash of cel numbers at the bottom of the screen. Very quick.
Most of the Season 3 episodes have the wrong end credits. I am almost finished with the season and I am just now seeing correct end credits on a few.
I am also disappointed at the video quality of the opening on Season 3. Doesn't look remastered. Flat. Lifeless. Drained color.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katarianig
Recent bookmarks