What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Ghost and the Darkness (1996) (1 Viewer)

efgalton

Auditioning
Real Name
Eric
This great hunting movie, based on amazing true events in Africa in 1897, is screaming for a 4K dvd version!

What goes on in the brains of those who decide which movies to release in 4K?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
There’s a release here in Germany on BD. But I haven’t read or heard anything good about it.

I decided to stick with my DVD.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Though I watched the DVD a while ago and it looks surprisingly good on my HDTV for a non-anamorphic release.

But I'd also jump on a blu-ray or 4K release. This is one of my remaining "most wanted" on HD. I've never understood why it's been ignored, with big name stars and an Academy Award-winning screenwriter. It's a great film.

Ernest

Supporting Actor
I always liked this movie seeing Michael Douglas and Val Kilmer play off each other so I purchased the German BluRay of Ghost and the Darkness a few years ago. The BluRay has an English audio track with German subtitles you can turn off. The BluRay exhibits very good video and audio a big improvement over the DVD. This is another title that is hard to explain why it is not available in Region "A". It is baffling to me the crap released on BluRay while really good movies lay dormant. Will we ever see The Alamo, At Play in the Fields of the Lord, Raintree County, a Midnight Clear and so many other movies on BluRay? Probably not though their is an excellent international BluRay of A Midnight Clear which I also own. Hopefully this year we will finally see The Abyss on BluRay.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
This great hunting movie, based on amazing true events in Africa in 1897, is screaming for a 4K dvd version!

A remake of Bwana Devil ('52), the first theatrical feature of the '50s 3D phase -- itself a movie that screams for a 3D blu ray (which our HTF friend Boib Furmanek and his 3D Film Archive colleagues have efforted over the years but which seems a long shot).

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
One of my favorite films of Kilmer's. It's a great story. I've read the book it was based on a long time ago. Patterson (Kilmer) later fought in the Boer War and WW1. He wrote at least two more books after this one, describing his experiences in the Gallipoli and Palestine campaign leading the Jewish Legion (found both for free for my Kindle). A very fascinating figure in world history.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks