What's new

The Greatest Story Ever Told renovation (1 Viewer)

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
With the Wonderful World of The Brothers Grimm Blu-ray such a success I hope the same talents tackle the Greatest Story Every Told, please. That was such a magnificent image on 1965 curved screens.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I have a feeling that MGM/Amazon wouldn’t be interested in anything beyond, possibly, a new HD scan.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
This is not a Cinerama film.
While Mr. Harris is, of course, correct on this, I recall that the film began production in the three-strip Cinerama process. Production switched to Ultra Panavision soon thereafter (as if anything was "soon" in this film's production history). So it was ALMOST a Cinerama film, and was eventually advertised as being in Cinerama.

This is another film which would, if fully remastered, could make a demo quality a/v experience, between the beautiful visuals and Alfred Newman's musical score.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
I saw this during its roadshow release on the big curved Cinerama screen. For me, it is the most beautiful film I have ever seen. I find Max Von Sydow a total bore in the film.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
1673894078061.png

J Hunter by a mile
Sydow great actor just wrong for the part
But as all sort of kin here I won't put down anyone who loves the GSET!

1673893984444.png

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I also saw this during its premiere engagement in the Cinerama theater in Puerto Rico. Unfortunately, during the crucifixion sequence and the uttering of the 7 last words of Christ, the soundtrack went awry, and the high violin music soured very badly. It was so horrid and painful to hear, and so incongruous with the image of the crucified Christ, that I burst our laughing. The solemnity and gravity of the moment was spoiled forever.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softwinsytems13
Recent bookmarks