What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
The Haunting relies on all the familiar haunted house tropes. It embraces all those well-worn ideas and images down to the white nightgowned damsel running through darkened hallways. And still, augmented with heavy doses of computer-generated imagery, The Haunting is a better film than its reputation implies, but many of the criticism levied against it are still fair. What The Haunting does deliver, very well, is stunning production design, interesting visual effects, a strong central performance by Lili Taylor, and Jerry Goldsmith’s wonderful score. All those elements are more than enough to make it at least a little worthwhile.

The Haunting (1999)

Released: 23 Jul 1999
Rated: PG-13
Runtime: 113 min

Director: Jan de Bont
Genre: Fantasy, Horror, Mystery, Thriller

Cast: Liam Neeson, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Owen Wilson, Lili Taylor...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I still have the dts version on DVD but haven’t watched it yet this year since I upgraded to the UK Blu-ray release a few months ago. For its time, the dts DVD was audibly superior to its DD counterpart. I haven’t watched the Blu-ray all the way through, but the few scenes I got to sample were fantastic.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I watched my 2020 UK import all the way through last night and it was an audible thrill ride. The UK release has a 5.1 DTS-MA audio track where the US release strangely has a 5.1 Dolby TrueHD audio track. I wonder if the picture quality on the US Paramount Presents version is better than the 2020 UK release and I agree with Johnny that this definitely needs to be released on disc in 4K with an Atmos track.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks