What's new

Pre-Order The Lion In Winter (1968) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
91KpwGGAbeL._SL1500_.jpg

PREORDER SHOULD BE LIVE SHORTLY

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CSSNQVG...93529011&rnid=2693522011&s=movies-tv&sr=1-138

• Appreciate
Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
It’s Kino Lorber, so I suspect that this is a new authoring ala The Russians Are Coming!, Run Silent, Run Deep and Coming Home. Indeed, if my summation is correct, this would be really great news for The Lion in Winter.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I know that technology has adavnced since the original BD releases, but with all of the flims still MIA for BD restored releases, this seems curious to me. Is the reasoning that these take less time to revamp and reissue, maybe a better return on investment?
I picked up the reissue of White Buffalo with Charles Bronson, and yes it was an improvment over the original BD release.
This was usually a case where they released a 4K edition and the attached BD got the same bump and the 4K. Only now, they no longer add the upgraded BD...but sell it seperately.

Lion in Wnter is a geat film great cast, and I'm looking forward to owning this edition. Could these reissued titles be preping for a 4K edition as well?
I see Kino going this more and more frequently, it is a good thing for collectors, but how many times are they willing to double buy? I quess we'll see...

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I know that technology has adavnced since the original BD releases, but with all of the flims still MIA for BD restored releases, this seems curious to me. Is the reasoning that these take less time to revamp and reissue, maybe a better return on investment?
I picked up the reissue of White Buffalo with Charles Bronson, and yes it was an improvment over the original BD release.
This was usually a case where they released a 4K edition and the attached BD got the same bump and the 4K. Only now, they no longer add the upgraded BD...but sell it seperately.

Lion in Wnter is a geat film great cast, and I'm looking forward to owning this edition. Could these reissued titles be preping for a 4K edition as well?
I see Kino going this more and more frequently, it is a good thing for collectors, but how many times are they willing to double buy? I quess we'll see...
A new generation of collectors will certainly benefit from these upgrades, as we had during the age of VHS and DVD.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
A new generation of collectors will certainly benefit from these upgrades, as we had during the age of VHS and DVD.
Granted, the leap from VHS to DVD was massive, not to mention no tape jams :eek:. And the same could be said for the PQ/AQ of dvd to Laser Disc. As collectors of phyiscal media, we are always searching for a better copy. It is a wonderful time to be alive, from having "No possibility of personal film ownership" ( for the common guy) to the selection and quality that we have today!!
That being said, my question is how many times do they have to return the same well, and having to overlook many other titles deserving of a loving restoration and BD bump?

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I believe KINO explained on the KINO thread that when they renewed the license agreement on a number of films it was easier to determine new royalty rates they owe the studios if they reissued the films under a new catalogue number. Some of the films got improvements because the films are on larger discs so less compression and KINO mentioned this in their press announcement. Robert Harris has weighted in on a few others saying the discs are better though KINO is not promoting them as such.

Peter Keller

Agent
Real Name
Peter
I believe KINO explained on the KINO thread that when they renewed the license agreement on a number of films it was easier to determine new royalty rates they owe the studios if they reissued the films under a new catalogue number. Some of the films got improvements because the films are on larger discs so less compression and KINO mentioned this in their press announcement. Robert Harris has weighted in on a few others saying the discs are better though KINO is not promoting them as such.
And English subtitles this time for Witness for the Prosecution and Burnt Offerings. Looking forward to even more English subtitles on older Blu-ray titles in the near future! 👏🏼

Reactions: PMF

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I love these (very well-written) dialog-driven "historical" epics. THE LION IN WINTER, like BECKET and A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS, are witty, often wise, and extremely entertaining, if not wholly factual. For me they are repeat-view movies I never tire of watching. The extant Kino edition of TLIW is, as has been noted, a huge improvement from the DVD and the import Blu, but I also look forward to any uptick in PQ for the coming release. I applaud Kino over and over for the efforts they put into their releases in general. Many thanks! Wish they could get hold of BECKET, as the Blu-ray is rather haggard.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Has anyone ever noticed that Katharine Hepburn wears the same solid bright red coloring of generously draping materials around her neck in Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner? as she did in The Lion in Winter. Hmmmm, two back-to-back Oscars. Makes me wonder what red would do for my career?😳

P.S. Any official word from Kino if this reissue of The Lion in Winter will be a new authoring? If so, then I will gladly Double-Dip.😎

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Has anyone else ever noticed that Katharine Hepburn wears the same solid bright red coloring of generously draping materials around her neck in Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner? as she did in The Lion in Winter. Hmmmm, two back-to-back Oscars. Makes me wonder what red would do for my career?😳

P.S. Any official word from Kino if this reissue of The Lion in Winter will be a new authoring? If so, then I will gladly Double-Dip.😎
There are no new authoring nor extras.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
For The Lion in Winter (1968) Peter O’ Toole should have won Best Actor for going toe-to-toe with Katharine Hepburn (25 years his senior) in this crackling performance which revisited his now older King Henry II from Becket (1964). No pun intended, but it was Mr. O’ Toole’s crowning achievement post Lawrence of Arabia (1962).

Otherwise, Ron Moody for Oliver! (1968) and his once-in-a-Lifetime tour-de-force portrayal of Fagin.

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Years ago, after receiving permission to examine the elements of LiW, we found that the OCN had been lacquered, and thereafter, wet-gated, without removal of lacquer The rolls were virtually solid blocks, and unhappy to be unwound.

We can see our eyes… and they can see ours.

Henry II: We're in the cellar and you're going back to prison and my life is wasted and we've lost each other... and you're smiling.

Eleanor: It's the way I register despair. There's everything in life but hope.

Henry II: We're both alive... and for all I know that's what hope is.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Years ago, after receiving permission to examine the elements of LiW, we found that the OCN had been lacquered, and thereafter, wet-gated, without removal of lacquer The rolls were virtually solid blocks, and unhappy to be unwound.

We can see our eyes… and they can see ours.

Henry II: We're in the cellar and you're going back to prison and my life is wasted and we've lost each other... and you're smiling.

Eleanor: It's the way I register despair. There's everything in life but hope.

Henry II: We're both alive... and for all I know that's what hope is.
Lacquered? As in what lacquering means to a layman who paints furniture in his backyard garage? That lacquer? What was the idea and goal behind doing this? Truly, “to lacquer” - in terms of fillum - must have a different meaning…I hope.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Lacquered? As in what lacquering means to a layman who paints furniture in his backyard garage? That lacquer? What was the idea and goal behind doing this? Truly, “to lacquer” - in terms of fillum - must have a different meaning…I hope.
Before wet-gate printing, and occasionally thereafter, negatives would be coated with a lacquer substance to protect the emulsion from damage. The neg could be run dozens of times, or more - until the lacquer was being damaged.

Then the lacquer would be removed, and the element re-lacquered for more printing. One of the most problematic cases of lacquer/de-lacquer damage I came upon was Rear Window. OCN had been run over 300 times, and during a de-lacquer, part of the outermost dye layer (Y) was removed, which caused yellow spotting o all future prints and dupes. It can be seen in early videos.

This problem led to the creation of our Alien Layer Technology.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks