What's new

The Monuments Men Review (1 Viewer)

Yavin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ben Mk
On a superficial level, The Monuments Men can be considered a spiritual successor (or, more apropos, given the historical setting, a spiritual predecessor) to Ocean's Eleven, outfitted with the beating heart of Inglorious Basterds (minus the bloodlust and extreme violence). However, the tone of the film hews more closely to that of 1960's cinema, making The Monuments Men a wholehearted throwback to the ensemble war-themed pics of Hollywood's yesteryear. Clooney's commitment to that sensibility runs deep, from the opening titles right through to the closing credits, especially considering the film's classic Hollywood score — with composer Alexandre Desplat's rousing theme resonating strongly throughout the story, immediately conjuring up memories of The Great Escape's memorable main titles.
3.5 out of 5.

Here's my full review.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Supposedly this film has been getting mediocre reviews. I was originally going to go to it until I read that. Now, after reading your review, I guess I'm going to have go and see it and make up my own mind. It looked not bad, judging from the trailer. Frankly, I cannot figure out how anyone could ever get the idea that a film called "The Monuments Men" would be an action film, especially if a person had bothered to read a synopsis of the film.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Aaron Silverman said:
The TV commercials are doing their best to present it as an action flick.
Really? I haven't seen those. I think the only one I saw was the initial one. I guess that would explain the disappointment with the film. Bait and Switch only creates negative feelings.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorlanm
Recent bookmarks