What's new

The official Apple Watch discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Do you plan to buy an Apple Watch?

• Yes, I will be buying the new Apple Watch

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • No, this technology is not for me right now

Votes: 20 69.0%

• Total voters

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Yes, different world than what I live in. I -might- buy a stainless one for around $1k but even that is beyond my max for an evergreen refreshing tech item and my body size....

You thinking of going Gold Doc?

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
Sam Posten said:
Yes, different world than what I live in. I -might- buy a stainless one for around $1k but even that is beyond my max for an evergreen refreshing tech item and my body size....

You thinking of going Gold Doc?

NEVER!

The most I've spent on a watch in my life was $300 many years ago. If I get an Apple watch it'll probably be a simple one with a simple black or stainless steel band. I guess we'll just have to wait for the REAL prices when April comes around.

Raul

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I have to admit I'm starting to consider the idea of wearing an Apple Watch instead of my Omega. The only model I'd be interested in is the stainless with link bracelet. I expect that one to retail for around $500 or more.

Mark

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
All of the bands are significantly too small for my wrists, and the only one I am interested in is $999. As of right now I'm out, but we'll see.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
While I find these very cool, it can't replace a time piece like a Rolex or Breitling. Mechanical movements that are constructed with many moving parts. I wear a Stainless Rolex SubMariner for my daily watch, and this piece will never ever leave my wrist...

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
So far the Apple watch is not a must buy item for now. Too expensive for something that will probably have an update one year from now.

IF, I decide to get one, and a big IF still.... it will probably be the 42mm Space Grey Black Band Sport model..... still $400.

Too early in the game still...

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I haven't worn a watch for 15 years and a mechanical watch holds zero appeal to me. The apple watch will never leave my wrist, except when I have to charge it haha

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My biggest head-scratcher about Apple Watch is the upgrade plan. Is it a two-year product like phones and iPads? Do $10,000 buyers spend $10,000 every two years to get the latest one? I guess my previous assertion says these buyers wont care about the cost.

I can't get my head around these devices being so great as to be a regular upgrade, say on off years from your iPhone.

But that's the big question, isn't it? Do these smart watches earn a place in our digital hearts? My household may be an early adopter, so I might find out :)

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I'd bet this falls into a 3-4 year ipad type upgrade cycle. Especially with replaceable batteries when it gets weak over time, the only reason to upgrades ill be damage or iOS upgrades slowing things to a crawl - it's the only reason I need to upgrade my iPad 3

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I already know how essential my fitbit was and this is in another universe. I know the watch will be as essential to me as my phone is now

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Worrying for sure. Apple has strayed sooo far from their principles of simplicity and human interface being paramount that I'm worried they need to do a reset and pause on features and focus on usability for the next cycle.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Just remember...everyone said a smart phone with no physical keyboard wasn't so smart pre-iPhone. Now find me a current smart phone WITH a physical keyboard.

Reminds me of Timberlake's line in Social Network. "Been to a Tower Records recently?"

I do agree that Apple is stretching past their comfort zones, but if they didn't take this risk, they'd be accused of resting on their laurels and re-releasing the same product over and over again.

Whether this is another iPod, iPhone, iPad...or a Newton...I applaud them for taking this risk.

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
The reports of the confusing user interface have me concerned too. A terrific UI is a hallmark of Apple products. If experienced gadget geeks are having trouble figuring out when to swipe, when to click, and when to turn the crown, imagine the trouble the lay public will have.

The watch is Apple's first completely new product category that didn't receive any babysitting from Steve Jobs. Now that bloggers and gadget geeks have had a chance to play with the watch, it's starting to feel like Apple put more emphasis on fashion than function. That is NOT a good thing and I fear it is going to backfire on Apple.

Mark

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
totoattack
Recent bookmarks