What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The Old Dark House (1932) 4K restoration coming from Cohen (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
...meaning the heavy lifting has been done and it might not be that long before we see a release?

have given this some thought as well, almost wanted to start a thread about it, with two full months left in the calendar year, if everyone on this forum feels that 2017 is going to be as completely amazing in the way of releases that 2016 has been. Odd that for a format that is supposedly on it's last leg and dying, the quality and volume of output of restored, and some not so restored classics that have materialized this year. Most of this is of course due to the independents.

look forward to having this release, have been very happy with Cohen titles i have gotten so far, and waiting on Sudden Fear.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Odd that for a format that is supposedly on it's last leg and dying, the quality and volume of output of restored, and some not so restored classics that have materialized this year. Most of this is of course due to the independents.

For a time I, too, was growing really fearful of the Blu-ray dying out, but the past several years have proven my misjudgement. We all accept that the major studios, with a few stray exceptions, have pretty much dropped classic titles from their Blu-ray release schedules (Warner Bros. with their wonderful Archives series, is unique these days), but the smaller companies that have stepped in actually more than fill the gap. I have never had to battle with my movie-buying budget as much as recently, with everyone licensing this and that to here and there. My wish list has shrunk exponentially since about 2014, and this from a guy who loves every movie genre and films of any year, so my wish list was HUGE. I hope that said companies can continue to prosper (and new ones keep popping up!). I not only thank these companies for doing what they do, but also all of you fellow collectors/hobbyists/diehard movie freaks for providing the incentive to keep these releases flowing.
:cheers:

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Cohen's doing a nice job with their releases. I recently purchased the Taviani Brothers set (I wish they had also thrown in FIORILE, but oh well), and all three films look stellar. That they are actually preparing THE OLD DARK HOUSE for reissue and eventual Blu-ray release is somewhat miraculous to me, considering all (and I mean all) previous video releases have looked muddy and fuzzy and borderline unwatchable. This is a film that needs rediscovery. It has a horror/bizarre comedy overlap similar to that in Whale's BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN, and because it's often so damn funny ("Have a po-tat-o..."), I have returned to it yearly, in spite of the awful PQ. I vow after this announcement to not watch the Kino DVD (now OOP) again, and will await the Cohen release. This is exemplary news!

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Wonderful news... and this coming on the heels of Kino's recent announcement of their Deluge restoration!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Nothing in the listing to indicate that's the Cohen restoration, however. Releasing entity for this one is some outfit called "Momentum."
The description at Amazon says this:

"The Cohen Film Collection is proud to present this stunning new 4K restoration."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuperMarty88
Recent bookmarks