What's new

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Richard Gallagher

The Sea Chase Blu-ray Review

The Sea Chase, one of two John Wayne films to be released on Blu-ray by the Warner Archive this month, is a strange one. For one thing, it is difficult to wrap one's head around the idea of Wayne portraying a German (albeit an anti-Nazi German) captain of a freighter at the outset of World War II. For another, with the exception of Lyle Bettger, the formidable cast is devoid of actors who look or sound like Germans. Nevertheless, it is well-made and contains enough action to keep viewers entertained.

[review]

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Thanks for the review Richard. I've loved this film ever since first discovering it, when it was released onto laserdisc back in the early 90s. Not sure why it was never (or rarely) aired on TV prior to that, but I was so happy with Warner's decision to release it onto laserdisc. Just as the DVD was an improvement over the laserdisc, I'm looking forward to the BD's improvement over the DVD.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I have a slight preference for The Sea Chase over Blood Alley. Both are enjoyable and interesting as different roles for Wayne other than his usual Westerns and War movies. Although he did do a lot of other roles besides westerns and war movies.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
I watched this last night, and can happily report that the image transfer is a big step up from the DVD. From the opening frames of the film, you can see the paint peeling off the old Ergenstrasse. Certain scene's are not as sharp as others, but overall, it is a very solid upgrade. The audio transfer is about on par with the DVD. And that's fine, as the DVD transfer was always very good.

Looking forward to seeing how Warner does with Blood Alley next week...

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
I watched this last night, and can happily report that the image transfer is a big step up from the DVD. From the opening frames of the film, you can see the paint peeling off the old Ergenstrasse. Certain scene's are not as sharp as others, but overall, it is a very solid upgrade. The audio transfer is about on par with the DVD. And that's fine, as the DVD transfer was always very good.

Looking forward to seeing how Warner does with Blood Alley next week...
I....ditto.........everything you said..............picture and sound are a major upgrade and the movie is enjoyable and that's all that matters ...........

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, I viewed this the other day and concur with the positive reviews stated here. I actually enjoyed this film more this viewing than previous viewings of it. Perhaps, the quality of this release enhanced my viewing experience.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
I just purchased a new HD TV, and while watching this blu again last night, never noticed what a fabulous job the make up people did on Paul Fix. They have him realistically looking like a man in his 70s. Plus the stereo separation tracks sound amazing!

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Warner Archives released right many John Wayne Movies in 2016, and I Think released The Sea Chase and Blood Alley in 2017. Warner Archives didn’t release another John Wayne movie until Flying Leathernecks was released last year. Over 3 Years!!!!!!!
That is not good!!!
Hopefully Warner Archives will release a lot of John Wayne Movies in 2021!!!
Take Care!

Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softwinsytems13
Recent bookmarks