What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

The studios MUST interview stars of classic TV for future season sets while they can! (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Travis, I am not saying we go to stars and say can we discuss your role in such & such before you die. Why can't it just be going to interview them for whatever. And even if it was to get it from them before they die. Not all would be against it. Some stars might want to make sure their stories and thoughts are preserved. Maybe, out of the love for their craft or for ego & vanity that they want to be apart of something new.

Thinking about it more. I just cannot see the studios doing this. What should happen is tv historians journalists and even fans. Getting interviews with the actors. And if the actor should pass and the studio decides to finally release a show they were on. The person can donate or for a fee give it to the studio. Similar to when you see a behind the scenes home movie created by the stars or production staff used as a bonus feature on a dvd release.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

Uh huh. . . . riiiight. "Agree with me or shut up and go home". Pity I dont work like that.

To me, it's exploitive plain and simple. In the case of The Keeper of Traken it was just happy circumstance that they got Anthony in the studio before his death, but I'm glad that they're not going "Oooh, you know Nick Courtney is getting on in years - we better do some extras for Battlefield before he kicks off!"

There are always options - like the Dr Who set that just came out had some unscreened archive interviews with Sidney Newman (who died in 1995-ish) - perfect for their needs and they didnt need to go grave robbing to do it.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
In general I agree with Mr. Ellis's original post. However there are factors that don't always make this possible.

Sometimes it is money. If an actor wants too much money, that may bust the budget the studio has for prepping a set. I read elsewhere where Jack Larson provided his services gratis to Warner Home Video for the Adventures of Superman DVD sets. That's a classy move on his part and has helped the price of these sets down. The cast of Gilligan didn't participate because they got hung up over money issues.

Sometimes it is vanity. Some actors just don't want to be seen or heard in their later years. They'd rather fans remember them as they were.

Personally I think the best option for stars' involvement on older shows is to have an emcee who is guiding the commentary ask questions of the star throughout the course of the episode. Most stars don't have recollections of specific episodes that were filmed decades ago, but they can provide stories about the cast, making of, etc. The emcee's job would be to keep the star focused and ask questions that fans would like to know the answer to.

Steve

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Here's an idea:
Maybe a celebrity could make his own tape recordings. It wouldn't be hard. He or she could watch an episode of his/her tv series in the comfort of their own home and make audio commentary into a tape recorder. Then, when the time comes for the Grim Reaper to come knocking, his family could sell it, or give it away.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Franklin Cover, best known to TV lovers as George and Louise's interracially married neighbor, Tom Willis has died
per TV Guide Online. He was 77 .

Elena S

Supporting Actor
Everyone is going to die eventually. If stars don't realize this, they're stupid.

What's wrong with interviewing a star for the possibility of a future DVD release? I see absolutely NOTHING wrong with it, and it preserves the memories and reflections of the people being interviewed, for posterity. If I were a star I would be honored to be asked, even if it were for release at a later date.

I agree with the original post. The studios are missing out on golden opportunities to capture the observations and anecdotes of celebs who appeared in these shows. And shame on them for that.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

Now if you want to talk about a crime against humanity and a lost opportunity - THAT's prime example #1. Letting a little bit of coin get in the way of some extras - now thats shameful.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
So from those in the know how about a list of recommendations of TV show commentaries that do exist.

I understand the first 2 seasons of Mary Tyler Moore show had some good extras with interviews with many but not MTM herself. Bob Newhart contributed to Season 2 of his show.
The cast of I Dream of Jeannie ( Barbara Eden, Larry Hagman, and Bill Dailey) will contribute something to Season 1 of that show.

What else is out there and how good is it ?

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

As I previously mentioned, the commentaries on "Combat!" are mostly great.

I have set 1 of "Gunsmoke" (the black & white episodes) and found the commentaries to be a mixed bag . . . for me James Arness' and Dennis Weaver's commentaries were excellent (not surprising given their long association with the series). Surprisingly, Angie Dickinson provides a fine commentary, as does George Kennedy, both of whom were guest stars in the early years of the show. I though the commentaries by Barbara Eden and Adam West were a little weak. West talked more about "Batman" than "Gunsmoke" but, in his defense, he was hardly in the episode for which he provided commentary. Barbara Eden was enthusiastic in her comments (and sounds like she hasn't aged a day since her "Jeannie" days) but just didn't add all that much to the episode. Still, I enjoyed hearing their comments; it adds an extra dimension to watching some of these classics.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Nice thoughts but it won't Happen. The exception to the rule of classic TV seems to be extras. Most studios want to release these sets as cheaply as they can, hence look at the Use of DVD 10's and 18's and the lack of Extras on most of the sets. I'm Happy if they can at least remaster the sets and give them to us Uncut

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
Same here. I like to have extras but not if they get in the way of the show coming out at all. Provide me remastered shows that are uncut and I'm happy. Put extras on and I'm happier.

JamesTaylor

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone added Peter Boyle for Everybody Loves Raymond
and Elizabeth Montgomery for Bewitched ?
-James

FrancisP

Screenwriter

It's a shame they didn't try to get around that. I would not have minded seeing commentaries split across the 3 seasons. I also wish they would leave the next week previews in. It's always inrteresting for me to watch.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I agree. Not exactly "classic" (well, it is classic, but not a 50's or 60's classic, but the stars are a lot older), I am really glad that Buena Vista has finally asked the three healthy stars of Golden Girls to do extras from season 5 onward, because I think they realize that when Betty is 84, Bea is 82 and Rue is a young 71 (not so much her), it's not like you can take them for granted at this age, Estelle Getty is already too ill to contribute to the DVD's, so I'm glad that the other 3 were finally asked to participate while they still can

RoryR

Stunt Coordinator

As great as that is. I think BV are just doing that for more money, I don't think they are thinking of them not been around much longer - its just them listening to the fans and likely charging more money for it. BV doesn't treat shows like this (Home Improvement) well - I guess they think they will sell well no matter what is thrown on them.

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein

Well, they do have stockholders to answer to. If they are consistently making too little money on DVD releases because they're overspending on extras, they might end up losing their jobs. Then their children would starve to death. Crime against humanity vs. dead babies. It's a tough call.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

actually, season 5 is going to retail for the same $39.99 that seasons 3 and 4 retailed for, I believe BV has finally lowered the seasons 1 and 2 retail to $39.99 too because $49.99 was just too much, I got both of those on sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks