What's new

Pre-Order The Three Stooges Collection (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (2 Viewers)

Mark Y

Screenwriter
"A Pain In The Pullman" just aired on Me-TV with the end title replaced with one from a 1950s Shemp Stooge short. That would be one to check once this thing is released. (It's just one of many with changed end titles, but I haven't made a list of them.)

Mark Y

Screenwriter
On somewhat of a related topic here, is it me or has ME-TV been editing the Stooges shorts recently? I've been noticing on their two hour broadcasts on Saturdays that there have been some edits to a lot of their shorts as they were always one to say they would air them uncut and unedited, so let me know if I'm mistaken on this or am right on this. Just curious to know.
The third short in the show is usually introduced as "a very short Three Stooges short" and is exactly that, 5 or 10 minutes or whatever it is. It's a glorified time filler and the complete short usually comes around within a few weeks.

For some bizarre reason many shorts on Me-TV have their end titles changed. A 1930s or early 1940s short will have a late 1940s "theater mask" end title substituted. Don't know why, but I note the later end titles don't have Columbia Pictures name on them.

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
The third short in the show is usually introduced as "a very short Three Stooges short" and is exactly that, 5 or 10 minutes or whatever it is. It's a glorified time filler and the complete short usually comes around within a few weeks.

For some bizarre reason many shorts on Me-TV have their end titles changed. A 1930s or early 1940s short will have a late 1940s "theater mask" end title substituted. Don't know why, but I note the later end titles don't have Columbia Pictures name on them.
Specifically, I'm talking about the short "Slap Happy Sleuths", as in the gas station scene, when Moe gets hits with the smoke from the tailpipe, Larry utters something, but it's either kept silent or they remove that clip all together, then goes back to Larry eating popcorn while pumping air in the guy's tire on his car.

I'v also noticed a few other shorts on that channel, some Shemp ones as well, having also been edited for some odd reason or another, hence why I was asking about this as METV claimed to always air these shorts uncut and uninterrupted, but thanks for the explanation on that 5-10 truncated short they air during their 2 hour show on Saturday evenings.

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
"A Pain In The Pullman" just aired on Me-TV with the end title replaced with one from a 1950s Shemp Stooge short. That would be one to check once this thing is released. (It's just one of many with changed end titles, but I haven't made a list of them.)
What's going on with that as I always thought METV aired those shorts uncut and uninterrupted? Just strange.

Robbie^Blackmon

Second Unit
Specifically, I'm talking about the short "Slap Happy Sleuths", as in the gas station scene, when Moe gets hits with the smoke from the tailpipe, Larry utters something, but it's either kept silent or they remove that clip all together, then goes back to Larry eating popcorn while pumping air in the guy's tire on his car.

I'v also noticed a few other shorts on that channel, some Shemp ones as well, having also been edited for some odd reason or another, hence why I was asking about this as METV claimed to always air these shorts uncut and uninterrupted, but thanks for the explanation on that 5-10 truncated short they air during their 2 hour show on Saturday evenings.
That's the PC police at work. Larry has a laugh and says, "Why don'tcha sing 'Mammy'?!" Moe tells him, "Why don'tcha shaddap?!"

The only time I ever noticed an actual PC edit made before PC was even a thing, it was an overdub made to the short when it was produced. "Dunked in the Deep" has a scene on the dock where Shemp asks Larry, "Want a Brazil nut?", but his mouth says, "Have a ______-toe?"

Mark Y

Screenwriter
What's going on with that as I always thought METV aired those shorts uncut and uninterrupted? Just strange.
It's followed by the Sony logo so I am guessing it's Sony doing it? Maybe to de-emphasize the Columbia name for some reason?

Robbie^Blackmon

Second Unit
It's followed by the Sony logo so I am guessing it's Sony doing it? Maybe to de-emphasize the Columbia name for some reason?
It’s the look of the old animated logo that someone didn’t like I gar-on-tee! That’s why we get like modern logo plastering on vintage films like The Exorcist— you know, that wonderful Saul Bass dubya that zooms in looking all stark and menacing and fitting the tense opening soundtrack? Cant have that. It’s too tatty and cheap-looking compared to the new cgi, sunshiny flyover view of a fictional Warner lot!

Plus, The Stooges films have to have a same-ness to them as branding so no one gets one year of Stooges confused with another.
It’s bad enough they are not in color because studies show that kids and adults just don’t enjoy black n white shows. They look old!

Slapping the ultra-loud and super-colorful Sony Musical Bars logo at the end of each and every Stooge short is e-essential in letting us know it was made recently, not some old junk they just threw at a tv station! (Or is it? Ask Rich Koz about the prints they used to get for Stooge-A-Palooza— some looked like they’d been through a meat grinder!)

Sarcastic rant over. Pardon me for protruding!

Last edited:

Mark Y

Screenwriter
It’s the look of the old animated logo that someone didn’t like I gar-on-tee! That’s why we get like modern logo plastering on vintage films like The Exorcist— you know, that wonderful Saul Bass dubya that zooms in looking all stark and menacing and fitting the tense opening soundtrack? Cant have that. It’s too tatty and cheap-looking compared to the new cgi, sunshiny flyover view of a fictional Warner lot!

Plus, The Stooges films have to have a same-ness to them as branding so no one gets one year of Stooges confused with another.
It’s bad enough they are not in color because studies show that kids and adults just don’t enjoy black n white shows. They look old!

Slapping the ultra-loud and super-colorful Sony Musical Bars logo at the end of each and every Stooge short is e-essential in letting us know it was made recently, not some old junk they just threw at a tv station! (Or is it? Ask Rich Koz about the prints they used to get for Stooge-A-Palooza— some looked like they’d been through a meat grinder!)

Sarcastic rant over. Pardon me for protruding!
When "Uncivil Warriors" once aired on "Stooge-A-Palooza" the scene with the baby was edited and Rich Koz explained that was Sony's doing, not the TV station's. They have since shown it uncut.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Am I the only one that thinks it's odd that the upcoming Blu-ray release omits nearly half of the Stooges shorts on a medium that consumers can take or leave, while every short is available via streaming (Albeit not in True HD) with ready access for anyone with an internet connection?

CHEERS! :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Am I the only one that thinks it's odd that the upcoming Blu-ray release omits nearly half of the Stooges shorts on a medium that consumers can take or leave, while every short is available via streaming (Albeit not in True HD) with ready access for anyone with an internet connection?

CHEERS! :)

I think most everyone feels that this was an odd release.

There is nothing but head-scratching as to why this was not a complete set, or at least, divided into two sets.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Seems to me they got married to the "100 years - 100 films" motif and ran with it. Definitely an odd duck release with special features collectors would want, but not the complete run of the shorts. Bizarre.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
Seems to me they got married to the "100 years - 100 films" motif and ran with it. Definitely an odd duck release with special features collectors would want, but not the complete run of the shorts. Bizarre.
I will continue to proudly display my complete Stooges DVD set right next to my Criterion Carl Dreyer box set (DVD too, not blu ray yet...)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I knew sooner or later that someone would want a comprehensive listing of what was included in the Indicator/Powerhouse releases, this is everything in the box sets or the single that they were released in and one of them is a double dip because twilight time included the two 3D shorts on one of its releases as well. Hope this helps. 26 shorts, that I haven’t bounced against the press release. But I hope this is help to someone keeping count. So, we can have an accurate account of how many are really missing

Not that I needed this list, as I have all of the Columbia Noir sets (I still don't have either release of The Mad Magician), but as I was getting caught up with the last week's worth of postings, I was thinking I should post a list of what shorts were on the Indicator discs. And now I don't have to! So, thanks, Dana. :thumbs-up-smiley:

Robbie^Blackmon

Second Unit
If its all like all similar gimmicks for box sets that play sounds or similar it will stop working 2-3 years later.
I'm hip. The Evil Dead II screaming book quit after a month, and other gimmicky items I had like a light-up Star Wars birthday card and Mr. Spock BK figure (haven't found the security screw bit to fix that one yet) have all gone kaput.

I was able to replace the batteries in that El Cheapo Madacy Stooges tin, so that's a plus. And, thankfully, Pink Floyd's "Pulse" has an easily accessible battery compartment.

I still dread the day when my Ghostbusters Ghost Trap set stops lighting up green when I slide the discs out. No way in Hades to get to that battery without some serious damage.

Robbie^Blackmon

Second Unit
That just sucks! :(
Well, so far the latex material hasn't dried out and cracked, so that's a plus. I know it will happen, but both 1 and 2 US versions still holding up. I nrobsaever got the German or other replica versions.

The old, grindhouse-looking vhs and laserdisc editions are still my preferences for viewing. Those prints look like something you'd find in an old cabin that documented the carnage and got beat to hell on the way!

Saman robsahr, dar ees hiker don' de roadsah.
KANDAR!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softwinsystems43
Recent bookmarks