What's new

There may be hope yet for the Clampetts! (1 Viewer)

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I discovered last night that PlutoTV is streaming unedited episodes of S6 and S7. I'm suspecting they may show S8 and S9. The episodes look good, although not all of them look as sharp as the DVD releases of prior seasons. I haven't seen some of these in their unedited form since the late 80's when WREG was running very worn 16MM prints with lines streaking through!

WhitneyG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Whitney
That is promising. I can't say that I'm familiar with CBS's library practices, but it seems unlikely that they had unedited copies just laying around ready for use. And if they did, then S8 and S9 would surely have been with them. This likely indicates further restoration efforts. It's possible they did these years ago and decided not to release them on DVD, but the mere fact that they exist indicates a lower threshold for getting them out. And if they weren't planning on getting S8 and S9 eventually, why not add the syndicated cuts at least. I think there's more to this story. PlutoTV is not exactly my cup of tea (regular or Texas), so I hope this isn't where the story ends.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
That is promising. I can't say that I'm familiar with CBS's library practices, but it seems unlikely that they had unedited copies just laying around ready for use. And if they did, then S8 and S9 would surely have been with them. This likely indicates further restoration efforts. It's possible they did these years ago and decided not to release them on DVD, but the mere fact that they exist indicates a lower threshold for getting them out. And if they weren't planning on getting S8 and S9 eventually, why not add the syndicated cuts at least. I think there's more to this story. PlutoTV is not exactly my cup of tea (regular or Texas), so I hope this isn't where the story ends.
I did notice that what I saw of S7 looked excellent, almost as good as the DVD releases of prior seasons. S6 was a little soft on a few episodes at least. Even those looked better than the ones that have been syndicated on tape for the last 35 or so years. I certainly hope there will be more on the way. Although I prefer to own a physical copy, I would settle for buying digital copies, I guess. A streaming service reminds me too much of local TV where that they can yank it at any point and never see it again.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
I'm going to give this one last bump to update a couple of things. I won't bump it again unless something new happens such as more episodes added.

I'm seeing a LOT of episodes skipped. I don't know if one season is worse than another, but as far back as S1 they're skipping. They seem to be really bad on story arcs in the later seasons. No Robin Hood episodes or Cousin Roy episodes. They're totally missing Granny's trip to Hooterville, although they do have the story arc with the holidays at Hooterville and then Sam Drucker coming to visit.

Everything is unedited. I have the Columbia House releases to compare them too, and in the case of earlier seasons, the official DVD's. The Columbia House tape cut out a preview that was included in one of the England episodes, and it is present on Pluto.

One other small complaint is the picture quality of S6. It's bearable, but the more I look at them, the more it seems they were taken from unrestored tape copies. The thing is that the CBS Syndication Bible never showed any episodes available in uncut form, so I'm genuinely curious why they look like that. I don't think any restoration work was performed on S6. Here are a couple of screenshots of one of the Clampetts in England episodes:

Attachments

• Clampetts in England.jpg
    Clampetts in England.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 115
  • Clampetts in England1.jpg
    Clampetts in England1.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 118

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Hopefully s6 and s7 will get released or become available to purchase somewhere. The group

The Peppermint Trolley Company​

sang the Robin Hood song in one of those episodes and there was also some music in the Roy Clark episodes so hopefully there aren’t insurmountable music issues with them.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hopefully s6 and s7 will get released or become available to purchase somewhere. The group

The Peppermint Trolley Company​

sang the Robin Hood song in one of those episodes and there was also some music in the Roy Clark episodes so hopefully there aren’t insurmountable music issues with them.
At least with those episodes you can get them unedited, albeit on the Columbia House VHS tapes. The picture quality isn't terrible and they do run at SP speed. As a fan of older country, most of Roy's material is so old that (I think) it's in the public domain except for "The Great Pretender." I think the one with The Peppermint Trolley Company was produced exclusively for the show, so I don't know what you're looking at there exactly. They managed to clear all of the Flatt and Scruggs performances plus the one Pat Boone song. The only thing I know that didn't clear was the snippet of "Pretty Woman" in S4. I know CBS has been known to pinch pennies, but if they got all of the other music cleared and not that, I'd say it's whoever is handling the licensing of Roy Orbison's songs since he did write it along with Bill Dees.

One small bugaboo is that they have cut out Ellie Mae's "this has been a Filmways presentation" on a lot of the episodes in S6 and S7. I don't know if that's a Pluto thing or how they're being syndicated. They're intact, along with the new CBS logo present on the DVD's, for the first 5 seasons. Part of me still wants to see the old Viacom "V of Doom" logo that was present on the old prints used for local TV.

One more thing I've noticed is the streamed episodes look a little more natural than their DVD counterparts, at least to me. It's almost like someone turned up the brightness/vibrance of the DVD's (no matter what player I use) whereas what I'm streaming looks more "natural." You can still see very minute details such as the yellow teeth on Max and his 5 o'clock shadow. The only thing I can figure is that the DVD players I've used automatically "upgrade" to HD and that may be an artifact. I'm not running anything special on the computer-I'm actually using the RGB cable to my 55" LG LED TV without the benefit of HDMI and I'm quite happy with the results. Here's a screenshot:
Clampett Christmas.jpg

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yes, I believe you are correct.
That is correct, fellas! Funny thing is that is my "go to" episode when I start decorating for Christmas. I started that a few years ago; it had been the Hooterville Christmas episode before that. I'm happier than a pig in a mud waller right now!

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
The Season 5 Christmas episode is great and my favorite Christmas episode of all after The Big Little Jesus
I haven't seen S5's "The Christmas Present" before, Ray (I have seen, and enjoyed, both S1's "Home for Christmas" and S2's "Christmas with the Clampetts"). I look forward to giving the S5 one a spin later this December.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
I haven't seen S5's "The Christmas Present" before, Ray (I have seen, and enjoyed, both S1's "Home for Christmas" and S2's "Christmas with the Clampetts"). I look forward to giving the S5 one a spin later this December.
I'm already decorated. If they took an x-ray of my head it would show a Christmas tree where my brain should be! I'm going to consider having these available to watch as my Christmas and birthday both. A fun fact: I share the same birthday as Max Baer, Jr., December 4th! It's also the birthday of Victor French who appeared in one of the S6 Griffith Park episodes. Unassociated with The Beverly Hillbillies, Wink Martindale also was born on that day.

There are some episodes I've never watched unedited. WREG never showed the last 2 seasons in syndication and they were missing huge chunks of S7. I watched "The Guru" today for only the 2nd or 3rd time unedited. Whoever had the idea to butcher these ought to get coal in their stocking for the rest of their life! They cut out one of the funniest parts. I know I'm not going to get the quote exactly right, but Ellie Mae was worried that Jethro was going to be smarter than her from meditating. Jed told her that anybody that wanted to walk on hot coals and lay on a bed of nails was lacking in brains!

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Good stuff, Ron! I'm in the thick of Halloween mode right now, myself, but I do appreciate the enthusiasm of you Christmas keeners! ;) I'll be summoning up some Christmas cheer come late November.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I'm already decorated. If they took an x-ray of my head it would show a Christmas tree where my brain should be! I'm going to consider having these available to watch as my Christmas and birthday both.

A man after my own heart! Good for you, Ron. 🎄

Gary “putting up Christmas decorations in October? Excellent!” O.

TheLogoGuy94

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joshua
One small bugaboo is that they have cut out Ellie Mae's "this has been a Filmways presentation" on a lot of the episodes in S6 and S7. I don't know if that's a Pluto thing or how they're being syndicated. They're intact, along with the new CBS logo present on the DVD's, for the first 5 seasons. Part of me still wants to see the old Viacom "V of Doom" logo that was present on the old prints used for local TV.
I collect 16mm prints of The Beverly Hillbillies, along with many other shows. I have eleven episodes so far, nine in color. Nearly every print has Viacom's "V" logo, but three have Viacom's "Pinball" logo. All of my prints are uncut. I'm aiming to purchase a film scanner by the end of this year so I can get these prints scanned in high quality, 2K resolution at least.

Last edited:

TheLogoGuy94

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joshua
One other small complaint is the picture quality of S6. It's bearable, but the more I look at them, the more it seems they were taken from unrestored tape copies. The thing is that the CBS Syndication Bible never showed any episodes available in uncut form, so I'm genuinely curious why they look like that. I don't think any restoration work was performed on S6. Here are a couple of screenshots of one of the Clampetts in England episodes:
I'm currently watching a S06 episode on Pluto TV (S06 E14, "Jethro in the Reserves"), and I can confirm that these are the same prints from Viacom that have been airing for nearly 30 years, though the Pluto TV prints have the Filmways and Viacom logos removed. These are the same prints that MeTV currently airs, and I assume FETV will also air these same prints once they get around to it. I do wonder if they'll air the restored prints of S05 or if they'll also air the same Viacom prints that MeTV currently airs.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
So I decided to do a little checking since I have the Columbia House tapes and see what episodes I currently have unedited besides the obvious DVD releases. I didn't realize I had this much!

S04 E32 "Jethro Goes to College." Yes, that is on the DVD release, but they've snipped out some of the music and replaced it with terrible generic music. My VHS copy has the original music intact.
S6 E01 "Jed Inherits a Castle" (the teaser for the next week's episode is missing)
S6 E02 "The Clampetts in London"
S6 E03 "Clampett Castle"
S6 E05 "Robin Hood and the Sheriff"
S6 E11 "Jethro's Military Career"
S6 E12 "The Reserve Program"
S6 E13 "The South Rises Again"
S6 E26 "The Soap Opera"
S6 E27 "Dog Days"
S6 E28 "The Crystal Gazers"
S6 E30 "Cousin Roy"
S7 E12 The Hot Rod Truck (horrible shape but unedited. Personally taped it circa 1989 or so from WREG in Memphis on SLP speed and subsequently dubbed to ANOTHER tape in SLP mode. It was already suffering from streaks and lines plus faded picture. It's watchable and not much more.)
S7 E16 "Problem Bear"
S7 E17 "Jethro the Flesh Peddler"
S7 E18 "Cousin Roy in Movieland"
S7 E23 "Sam Drucker's Visit"
S7 E26 "Collard Greens an' Fatback"
S8 E03 "Silver Dollar City Fair"
S8 E04 "Jane Finds Elly a Man"
S8 E06 "Jed Buys Central Park"
S8 E07 "The Clampetts in New York"
S8 E08 "Manhattan Hillbillies"
S8 E13 "The Hero"
S8 E24 "Simon Legree Drysdale"
S9 E01 "The Pollution Solution"
S9 E02 "The Clampetts in Washington"
S9 E03 "Jed Buys the Capitol"
S9 E21 "Elly the Secretary"
S9 E22 "Love Finds Jane Hathaway"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Exorcist4713
Recent bookmarks