What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Time Life's new JACK BENNY releases. (1 Viewer)

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Does anyone have any info , other than what's on the Time Life Web site regarding the two new Jack Benny releases ?
I know they've include all of the color 'specials" . But how about the weekly episodes? Are these new to DVD or rehashes of what's been out before on Mill Creek and Shout Factory ?
Regardless, I'll most likely buy the larger set , despite the issues that always come with Time Life Products .
For instance, I'm enjoying the Jackie Gleason ten disc set , but I wish the episodes were complete. But it's still nice to have SOME late sixties Gleason.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Just found out that the larger package includes the Time Life Bob Hope releases , and no further Jack benny episodes . You wonder why they would bundle Jack benny and Bob Hope together , but that's Time-life for you!

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
Lou, these are two posts I posted in the "TV on DVD News Roundup" in January:

Do not be confused about the Jack Benny set.

The 68 episodes includes:
All 10 of Jack’s hour-long color television specials.
50 hilarious episodes of The Jack Benny Program.
Plus 7 other programs starring Jack!
Plus 1, A Love Letter to Jack Benny, a tribute to Jack hosted by his funniest friends.

The "92 episodes" set includes the 68 episodes above,
but the extra 24 (to make it 92) are all Bob Hope specials.

"Plus Thanks For the Memories: The Bob Hope Specials 10 DVD collection, featuring:
24 Bob Hope Specials."

In looking into this a bit further...the Jack Benny set comes in three volumes.

--The first volume (5 discs) are the 10 Jack Benny Specials plus the Tribute Special.

--The second volume (3 discs) is all of the 18 episodes in Shout's release The Jack Benny Program: The Lost Episodes collection.

--The third volume (4 discs) contains 39 episodes, 32 of which are the Jack Benny Program and 7 are other programs he appeared on. Mill Creek has a collection available listing 39 episodes which appears to be the same as this. Reviews on Amazon say the quality of it isn't so good, I wonder if this one will be the same.

I have the Lost Episodes Collection already. I'd like the specials, but if the quality of the Third Volume isn't any better than what the Mill Creek collection is, you can buy that for $16 or so.

Hope this helps.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I recall MCA Universal releasing a number of great quality uncut 1960's filmed episodes of the Jack Benny Program back in the early 1990's . There were about 5 volumes with two episodes on each. Too bad Time Life didn't think of licensing those episodes and other filmed episodes from that era as well.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
I recall MCA Universal releasing a number of great quality uncut 1960's filmed episodes of the Jack Benny Program back in the early 1990's . There were about 5 volumes with two episodes on each. Too bad Time Life didn't think of licensing those episodes and other filmed episodes from that era as well.
The "Jack on Trial for Murder" episode always seems to have one scene missing. Most versions I've seen have a fade-out from Frank Nelson wearing the Lincoln hat to Jack saying he's tired while approaching the couch to take a nap. The official VHS release has this edit. Some versions cut out Frank Nelson smiling to himself in a mirror after Jack leaves. The most complete version I've seen shows Jack arriving home and closes the door with his hand on the doorknob. Then there's an obvious cut with Jack's hand still on the doorknob but at a different camera angle with some residual laughter heard dying down from the cut scene. Either someone rang the bell and Jack answered it or he opened the door to do something like yell at his rooster but whatever happened is cut from all prints including the VHS release.

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
maybe a 6 tsod set,or maybe a complete seasons sets,includes 10 specials and a loving tribute to jack by famous friends from 1980.will be very special.

The 1960's

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neal Rose
Can someone here please help me to understand about The Jack Benny Ultimate Collection 2019 Time Life release?

I'd always wanted this but everything Time Life releases are so prohibitively priced. But I figured I'd treat myself for the holiday and bite the bullet. Then I made two discoveries. The first is that it's now OPP! The second, and this is the one that I found shocking which I read here.

So is it true that this release included the 2007 The Best of Jack Benny from Millcreek and the 2013 The Jack Benny Program: The Lost Episodes from Shout and that the only thing new about it was the five-disc set of NBC Television Specials? I mean that's fraud right, wrong?

The Jack Benny Ultimate Collection_Article_Image.jpg

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomkzufomsg
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale